Question: Liberty of the Seas from Galveston this summer

Hello Everyone

Prior 2X Carnival customer here (great experience) and looking to try R.C. to get a new experience. Plan to sail from Galveston this summer, via Liberty of the Seas. Can anyone comment on this ship ? Any recommended rooms/floors ? Budget is "we can't afford VIP or Penthouse suites" but "want balconey if possible" if that makes sense. $500-$1000ish per person. Two adults, two kids (age 9, 11) and possibly grandma, grandpa also (they have never cruised before). Looking for a less "adult spring break crowd" which we had on Carnival.

Thank you for the info

We sailed Liberty about a year ago with our (then) 2 and 6 year olds. We were in the off season though, and not when school was out. But we enjoyed it! My daughter had fun with the kids clubs, and rock climbing. We found the atmosphere great and not too adult/party at all. We were able to spring for a balcony and we looooved it. I don't remember the exact room, but I think we were in the vincinity of 6330? I actually really liked that location. It was really easy to run down just one flight of stairs to guest services, coffee, pizza, and I think the main dining room. Windjammer was directly up a few levels with the pools, and kids club up a few more.

We were just looking through our pictures and the kids can't wait to go back this December!

Edited by Sk8ermaiden

We leave Sunday. Will be the first week of summer break for most Texans. I've heard the ship is geared towards families and expect to see lots of kids. We plan to escape to the Solarium (no kids allowed) when we want less chaos than the main pool. I'll try to remember to report back when we return.

Suggest you start seriously looking now. You're within Final Payment window already to cruise while schools are out. However that could work to your advantage as prices have dropped on some sailings - in August at least.

There's lots of activities for all ages on Liberty. Have fun:)

The ship is great! Just got off of her on the 28th...My 9 year old begged to go to the kids clubs every day...the workers there kept the kids busy playing games and making crafts. We showed up one evening to pick her up early and she refused to leave until 10pm...lol! Our 13 year old loved the teen club, and made some really great new friends...she loved the independence of going the the teen 'living room" and hanging with her pals.

We were in room 8471, which is an inside stateroom. It had two drop down beds from the ceiling that fit our kids just fine. We had four of us in one inside stateroom. At times it was cramped...but with good bag management in the closet, and using all the drawers and hangars for clothes, it was not really bad. There is a two seat couch in the room as well that was comfortable and useful. We paid between 500-600 a person for the room...can't remember the exact cost.

Kids loved the "free" pizza at Sorrentos.

One thing: We booked one specialty dining at Giovanni's Table for all of us. The kids were a bit overwhelmed with the dishes and didn't care too much for them. Our kids are slightly adventurous eaters, willing to try new things, but didn't care for the selections...luckily children are only $10 in specialty restaurants so it was not a big deal to us. Lol! Your mileage may vary with your children if you go there...

We chose to not buy any drink package (aka soda package as we do not drink alcohol) so that we could spend more on excursions....I thought we may regret that choice, but there are lemonades and juices at all the meals, and you can get an ice bucket in your stateroom that they refill twice a day. We brought our Yeti-like drink cups from home and had cold water with us throughout the day.

Book soon, and enjoy!

We cruised on Liberty of the Seas last November. We loved the Junior Suite, nice and big. A Junior Suite should fit your budget. I think Royal Caribbean's Junior Suites are the best in the industry! And you get double crown and anchor credit!

Elevator was SLOOOWW!

I am also booked on the Liberty this Summer with my 9 and 11 year old. I cannot comment on this particular ship, but I can comment on the cruise I took two years ago on the Navigator with my then 7 and 9 year olds. A lot of the experience is common, I imagine, to the two ships. Thoughts:

1. Figure out a parking plan early. We used Galveston Park n' Cruise because it was immediately across the street and makes embarkation and disembarkation easy if you have a reasonable amount of luggage.
  2. My children enjoyed the kids club (Adventure Ocean) very much.
  3. No matter how much you try, Royal Caribbean will not let you set the kid's card to deny them the ability to purchase arcade credit-- EVEN IF YOU DENY THEM THE ABILITY TO MAKE ANY OTHER PURCHASES ON THE SHIP. This is, in my view, a major flaw. Discuss your expectations with your kids.
  4. My children enjoyed the food options. If you go to early seating dinner, they do a good job of feeding the kids quickly so they can go off to the kid's club and you can enjoy the rest of your meal.
  5. Galveston is a pleasant place to vacation with children; I would get there a day or two early and enjoy the beach.
  6. Pack a swimsuit in your carry on. The water features will be open on embarkation day and it may take a while for your luggage to find you.
  7. Book an upper floor to make it easier to get to the buffet, pool, and Adventure Ocean. Elevators are slow and crowded.

Have fun on your cruise! I would book fairly soon to give yourself the most choices.

We cruised Liberty of the Seas then Disney Wonder on the same trip. I think Disney Wonder would be great for the kids, but they are only in Galveston during the winter. Last November, the Wonder already had their decorations up, and the children got to visit with Santa. I think there were other characters in costume, but I couldn't say what they were.

I sailed on Liberty last summer with kids aged 7-11. At 9 and 11, yours will be able to be in the kids' club together. The 10 and 8 year-olds loved the kids' club; the 9- and 11- year-olds were bored (both bookworms, so we finally sent them in there with a book and they sat in the corner and read when they didn't want to play).

We spent a LOT of time at the water slides and the splash park. A LOT. They loved it much more than I thought they would. The swimming pools are deep (much deeper than I originally realized). If your kids aren't good swimmers and/or aren't really tall, you'll want to be in the pool with them.

Don't waste your money on the Dreamworks breakfast experience; in our crowd, everyone 8 and under loved it and everyone 9 and older thought it was stupid. We did wait in line to take pictures with the characters before dinner, and I do highly recommend you go to the promenade to watch the parade.

If possible, put the kids in the kids' club and have all of the adults go to the Quest show. It was hilarious.

Everyone enjoyed the ice show, and almost everyone enjoyed skating. It is really crowded, though.

We liked it so much we're going again in 2019 (with a Carnival cruise for only the adults in between).

If a balcony doesn't fit into your budget consider an ocean view room on Deck 2 or 3. We had one on Deck 2 and never missed not having a balcony. Although we were skeptical the easy access to MDR, Promenade and Schooners etc. made for a great location. We even burned some calories taking the stairs and not waiting for the elevators.Also, easy disembarkation on port days. We are returning on LOS in October with another oceanview. Not much more than an inside cabin.

We had a panoramic ocean veiw room on deck 12 in janurary for under 1K pp. Like mentioned earlier it was very convenient for the pools and spa. was kind of a hike to get the the MDR. We loved liberty. We had some problems in the dining room on day one but after that we were well taken care of. We had an amazing time hanging out/dancing in the Boleros bar. The staff there were amazing people.

My granddaughter and I went last July 10, and she was sick most of the cruise. Spent 2 days at the infirmary. She got sick the first night! But, had a lot of fun that day before it hit her. Then Late Thursday night, she went to the late night kids club and didn't want to leave. They will call you when your kids want to leave. She was 6 at the time, so I had to walk down and get her. Before when she was sick, they let me come pick up a bag full of arts and crafts and coloring sheets, for her to do in the cabin. Most of the stuff we could keep, I think they wanted the scissors back.

The ship is great for kids. She had so much fun the first day, but wasn't old enough or tall enough to do two of the big slides. But, the two small ones were still fun. This year, she will be old enough and taller!

I usually get a balcony, but have been trying to cut down on cost, so just did an inside cabin. It was fine for us. Great for sleeping.

We are doing the same cruise July 9. Hoping she's healthy this time!

Forgot to mention, they will probably love the rock climbing wall, and ice skating. Movies under the stars and a 3d movie theater. She enjoyed the character breakfast, and I did book it again, but will probably cancel it . Same characters.Lots of parades and sightings where you can actually meet and get autographs.

I would book AFT since you have the kids. I sailed The Freedom, which is like Liberty. The WJ is AFT, the Kids Club is AFT, the kids area of the pool is AFT also. We had an AFT balcony which is larger. Some people will tell you that the walk is far, yada, yada. It is no big deal. My 11 year old son would run ahead of us to mess up the towel animal-just for fun. My son loved the AO Kids Club, like begged to go. I want to get on the Liberty really bad, but I have never done Oasis Class, so I am torn. I live in Texas, so The Liberty is easier for us.

Folks do you think the Liberty in the summer would be a "friendly environment" for age 70 year old parents. For this reason I am ruling out Carnival which indeed summer=adult spring break

My mom cannot walk very well. But I would like to get her on a cruise, she is a little skittish of the "big ocean" etc. Thank you

Folks do you think the Liberty in the summer would be a "friendly environment" for age 70 year old parents. For this reason I am ruling out Carnival which indeed summer=adult spring break

My mom cannot walk very well. But I would like to get her on a cruise, she is a little skittish of the "big ocean" etc. Thank you

I see many older guests on RC cruises, some with scooters. However, there will be a higher percentage of children on the ship in the summer, though Liberty does have the adult (16+) Solarium which is a quieter area with loungers, sun, shade, pool, and hot tubs.