Amazon Dot

jabl

Has anyone taken an Amazon Echo Dot on a Carnival cruise? We're sailing on the Splendor in less than 2 weeks. We always take an Ipod and blue tooth speakers with us to play music in the cabin and are wondering about taking Alexa instead. Is it possible to connect the Dot to the ship's wifi, particularly to stream music? We're assuming we would be able to log the Dot in to the wifi using the Alexa app on our phone. Would we have to pay for the Dot as a separate device on the internet plan? Would the ship's wifi be fast enough to stream our music? would love to hear from anyone who has actually tried this.

Has anyone taken an Amazon Echo Dot on a Carnival cruise? We're sailing on the Splendor in less than 2 weeks. We always take an Ipod and blue tooth speakers with us to play music in the cabin and are wondering about taking Alexa instead. Is it possible to connect the Dot to the ship's wifi, particularly to stream music? We're assuming we would be able to log the Dot in to the wifi using the Alexa app on our phone. Would we have to pay for the Dot as a separate device on the internet plan? Would the ship's wifi be fast enough to stream our music? would love to hear from anyone who has actually tried this.

WHile I have one I have not tried it. What I have tried successfully is a Bose mini dock so I fell confident in say it works. We connect our iPod to the dock without connecting it (the dock) to wifi. The iPod sees it and connects.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You'll likely have to use it as a Bluetooth speaker only. To connect to WiFi you are going to have to go through a captive portal to authenticate it to your room. You won't be able to do that through the Alexa app as far as I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Better option would be to download the music to your device and then just connect via bluetooth and play the music you downloaded ahead of time ... Google youtube music converter so you can convert what ever you want into mp3 or mp4 files to download to your phone

The ship's WiFi connections in cabin are spotty at best even on the Premium Package ($25/day or $120/week per device).

The further your cabin is from a public space WiFi repeater the worst your up/down loading speeds will be.

I very much doubt you'll be able to connect a non-phone/tablet device to the wifi. I have a camera that can transfer pics directly to my phone via wifi and can find hardly any public networks where it can connect. Problem is the networks aren't as simple as your home network where you just hit connect and put in your password. They have secondary steps like putting in your room number or even just agreeing to terms and conditions, none of which those devices are set up to do. If it connects via Bluetooth that is a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for all your helpful replies! From your responses we are gathering that it is unlikely we'll be able to connect the Dot to the ship's wifi. And even if we can connect we'll need to purchase the premium internet service ($25/day) to stream our music. We'll go with our Ipod and bluetooth speaker instead.

Happy Cruising!