Dinner attire for 3 and 5 yo?

We are setting sail in July on Harmony OTS with our 5yo son and 3 yo daughter. First time on RC but DH and I have cruised 4 or 5 other times - Princess and Celebrity. First time cruising in several years and first time with the kids!

My question here is what such young children can get away with wearing. Typically my daughter wears leggings/bike shorts and a tee/top, and son wears "sweat" shorts with a drawstring and a tee. They don't like jeans or "real" pants with anything other than an elastic waistband :')

For the MDRs and the Specialty restaurants, is that okay? Not on formal nights, just on the other nights.

Thank you! I'm trying to pack light as we also have 3 days in disney prior to that so will have to pack for 10 days of travel!

Hello MMR007, I have done the Disney thing prior to cruise and understand the light packing. If you stay at a Disney resort, they have laundry area and we washed clothes and repacked all clean clothes. We have also traveled with children from 6 months to 16 and know what comfort at dinner got them is all about. The girls were comfy in leggings and cute tops as well sweet sun dresses and sandals. The boys wore the shorts you mentioned or with elastic waistband and button up or polo shirts with sandals or deck shoes. They were happy and so were we. I hope this helps [emoji8]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think a little sundress with some bike shorts under for your daughter, and dress shorts with a polo and fisherman sandals for your son. I would just look at the websites where you like to shop for them, The Children's Place, Gymboree, Crazy 8 has some cute items as well. Gap has some great items too

I would not stress too much. This is your vacation and you are spending a lot of hard earned money on HOTS.

My son was 11 when we went on FOS. He is 17 now. He loved the Kids Adventure and could not wait to get there. We ate early in the dining room and someone from AO would meet the kids at the entrance to the MDR.

What I suggest (what we learned from our experience) is feed your little ones early at the WJ, Room Service, Serrentos, whatever they would like, then take them to AO and you and your Hubby have a quiet meal. But if you want to eat as a family in the MDR, then by all means do that. Just have fun and have a great time!:cool:

Edited by lrn2cruise

As already posted by others, I agree you can pretty much dress them in what you'd like. It isn't a big deal at all. However for us, I prefer to them to dress up just a bit more than usual than at home so they can learn the difference between daytime/play clothes vs. what you should wear at a nicer restaurant. I was you not long ago with DS and DD being those ages while cruising (they are now 10 and 12), and found that my DD would love getting into her little dress each night paired with sandals. For DS, I would have him wear the Childrens Place elastic band khaki shorts with a collared polo typeshirt. Both were comfortable and didn't have issues. I would never bring sneakers on a Caribbean cruise (just too heavy and hot) so I would have him wear a closed toe trek type sandals as well. Usually something along the lines of this:

https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/product/1998954?cm_mmc=feeds-_-adlucent-_-google-_-pla&utm_source=adlucent&utm_medium=feeds&utm_content=google&utm_campaign=pla&sid=545650&aid=%5BADL%5D%20%5BPLA%5D%20%5BShopping%5D%20-%20Categories%20-%20Non-Brand%5BDesktop%5D&kwid=productads-adid%5E93310059157-device%5Ec-plaid%5E186548695957-sku%5E11912393-adType%5EPLA&color=BLACK

Whatever you choose to do, have a great time! I look back on all my pictures of our cruses with my kiddos at that young age with such great memories.

If you already haven't found it, I suggest you check out the Family Board. Lots of great info on there too.

Thank you all so much! All very helpful info.

PP re: Disney laundry area - never knew that! We are staying at a Disney property so I will be sure to find it.

PP - so true about happy kids making good dinner companions.

When we go to a nice restaurant on land/at home, we don't take the kids if we can help it :halo:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will take a look around and see if I can find some things on sale for 1-2 slightly nicer outfits. That might make them feel like it's more special and fun.

Oh also PP -- yes we are psyched for Adventure Ocean!! We are surprising the kids with the trip so haven't told them yet, but when they see AO I think their heads are going to explode!

We are definitely considering doing the family dining thing with AO so we can have best of both.