Balcony worth it?

riot23

We never purchase balcony cabins because it's almost as expensive as purchasing another cruise. I just can't justify the higher price.

But that's just us. We are retired and not wealthy but we can travel if we spend reasonably.

If money wasn't a factor, we would have a balcony every time.

Heck, if money wasn't a factor most of wouldn't be cruising on Princess.

We want a balcony when we cruise, as it's where we start the morning with coffee, and we usually end it there before turning in for the evening. For us, it's not about the number of cruises, it's about getting the cabin we want. We are not retired, and only have a few weeks off for vacations, so we only average one cruise a year.

I can understand those who see a cabin as just a place to sleep & shower, and spend all their time topside, not getting a balcony room. We have only sailed once in a room without a balcony, but at least we had the huge windows to look out of.

Balconies are worth every penny to us. For me, it's all about that personal outside space.

We spend a lot of time in our cabin. While hubby is watching TV, I'm on the balcony, reading, listening to my ipod and sunning. My own private oasis where I don't have to search for a chair and can get away from people. I order room service and enjoy meals looking out at the water. I love that!

We were on the Carnival Breeze and it rained so much on that cruise. Everyone was crowded inside.

We had an inside cabin and it was horrible. Me trying to read while hubby watching movies, in a cramp room with not even a window.

After that, I vowed never an inside or oceanview cabin again.

I'm actually moving up in the world. Booked a Mini suite for our next Princess cruise.

Everyone has their own preferences and reasons as to whether a balcony is worth the extra cost.

It's certainly a personal choice.

I enjoy a balcony. It is a nice and quite place to relax. Balcony rooms are slightly larger and the window wall gives light and a view. Down side on the Regal balconies are smaller than on other ships. I believe a balcony is well worth the extra cost.

Yes, a very personal decision if it's worth it or not. We don't get to go often so splurging for a grand-class aft Vista suite is paradise for us. Even with 4 in the cabin you never feel cramped. Balcony is truly your own private getaway on the stern.

Suite breakfast at Sabatinis is not to miss. Free laundry means we pack less. Captains party for a few good drinks. Suite/Elite snacks aren't what they used to be but still quite good. (I really miss the beef Tartare)

Curiosity sent me looking at a one week Caribbean next January and was somewhat surprised by the prices. Is it really worth 3 to 4 times the cost per person to be in a Vista Suite? It is quite a bit more than I was remembering. If it's just two of us maybe a Mini Suite would be the smarter choice. I think I would even do a shorter cruise in an inside or window and spend the extra cash on the AIBP / excursions.

So to the original OP question, it's an even tougher evaluation. Is having a balcony worth the extra cash or if you go for the balcony why not step a little further into a mini suite with the better bathroom?

Inside $900 Window $1100 Balcony $1500 Mini Suite $1750 Vista $3100

We booked this itinerary on Regal last year. Budget conscious so an interior guarantee. . It is VERY popular route. We were offered a move-over TWICE but couldn't reschedule due to work. Then, four days before sailing, we were offered an upsell to a balcony for only $400. We grabbed it. The balconies are a tad smaller on this class of ships. But, the views of the Baltic were so worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD