Freemantle/Perth question

We will be on the Sea Princess in Mar/Apr next year with a stop in Freemantle/Perth from 8am-11pm. We would like to get to Rottnest Island for part of the day. Do you have to book the ferry from Shed B ahead of time and how far in advance? Can you walk from the ship to Shed B? Any suggestions for not to miss places on the island. Thanks.

According to Google maps B-Shed is 1km from the cruise terminal and it will take about 12 minutes to walk there.

Not sure about ferry bookings, sorry, and it's a long time since we went to Rottnest Island. However I do remember that we did a tour around the island that was very good value and interesting. The quokkas are very cute!

I know someone that goes to Rottnest regularly with her family, I'll see if I can get some more answers for you.

Here you go! Words of advice from a local who regularly goes to Rottnest Island.

"Depending on how busy the ferry can usually be booked at short notice but like most travel it is better if booked ahead for the specials. It is unfortunately quite expensive if you don't get a discount of some sort.

Depending on what time of year there are some whale watching tours on speed boats (also booked through Rottnest Express ferries) - I haven't been on one but the whales are quite spectacular and often very playful. October is a great time for that as they are migrating then and there are often babies with the parents. They most likely will be able to see the whales just from the beaches of Rotto too but just in the distance.

I like riding a bike over there - they can be hired from the ferry company and then you hit the ground running ready to go and explore as soon as you hop off the ferry or there is a bike hire place on the island. If they are reasonably fit and active there are some great rides and it's a really good way to see the island.

As you say the bus trip is very good and a good way to see a lot of the island in a short time. The 'Oliver Hill Guns and Tunnels tour' is really interesting and there are some beautiful views from the top of Oliver Hill - well recommended. And if the weather is good taking a snorkel and heading to The Basin or Geordie Bay/Longreach would be great. Their beaches are really good.

Just up from where the ferry comes in there is a visitor's centre and volunteer guides run different walking tours.

If they are into a more relaxed time lunch or a thirst quencher at the Rottnest pub (The Quokka Arms). But you go for the good view and relaxed feel and atmosphere. Food is just "fine"."

The ferry from Fremantle takes about 30 mins and the seas can get rough. The best way to see Rottnest is on foot or you can hire a push bike and pedal around. There are no vehicles on the island.

There are no private vehicles on the island but there are sightseeing buses.