Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

Newbie question: We've booked the Neptune out of San Pedro, CA. I've seen comments for other ports that "Viking" crew members collect luggage on arrival at the port.

We've sailed out of San Pedro many times and the port's luggage porters collect the luggage.

The question is: which is it in San Pedro? Port personnel or Viking?

On 12/13/2022 at 4:47 PM, Cruisingin2223 said:

What is Viking's policy about CBD gummies? I take these for sleep sometimes. Any insight would be helpful. Traveling in may different countries. TIA

2 years too late, but thought I've tell you what I do for intermittent insomnia. Trazodone. It's legal and works great with no "hangover" that some sleep meds cause.

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Newbie question: We've booked the Neptune out of San Pedro, CA. I've seen comments for other ports that "Viking" crew members collect luggage on arrival at the port.

We've sailed out of San Pedro many times and the port's luggage porters collect the luggage.

The question is: which is it in San Pedro? Port personnel or Viking?

For most ports, shoreside services (porters, check in personnel, security, port transportation, etc) are handled by local providers and not by Viking personnel.

• Thanks 2

Haven't seen this one...yet.

We prefer to not use the shore side luggage collection...had a previous BAD experience.

The cart that our luggage was loaded on (along with many others) was dumped into the water at the dock during loading. All of our clothes (shoes, evening wear, nighties) were soaked with filthy port water. The suitcases were ruined. The ship gave us free "overnight" return laundry privileges that took 3 days. For 3 days we were wearing the same clothes that we were wearing when we got on the ship. No OBC, no offer to buy something to wear in the ship's store...just an apology. 

Since then we've always dragged our suitcases with us.

Will we be alone?

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

We prefer to not use the shore side luggage collection...had a previous BAD experience.

The cart that our luggage was loaded on (along with many others) was dumped into the water at the dock during loading. All of our clothes (shoes, evening wear, nighties) were soaked with filthy port water. The suitcases were ruined. The ship gave us free "overnight" return laundry privileges that took 3 days. For 3 days we were wearing the same clothes that we were wearing when we got on the ship. No OBC, no offer to buy something to wear in the ship's store...just an apology. 

Will we be alone?

We've never had a problem like that but once we left from the NYC port going north and there was another cruise ship in dock going south.  They put another couples luggage that was suppose to be on our ship on the other ship. So, yes, things can happen. We always travel with at least one change of cloths, undies and usually a extra pair of shoes in our carry ons.  

Edited by Ready to Sail!

Yikes how terrible!  Did insurance cover new suitcases to get home?  I am surprised the laundry took 3 days!!  Was this with Viking?  One more thing for me to worry about....I thought once I had my suitcase at the airport I was lucky. I also usually send my carry on at this point will definitely never do that again...computer, medicines would definitely be ruined.  Do you know if hard-sided luggage faired any better than soft?

39 minutes ago, deec said:

Yikes how terrible!  Did insurance cover new suitcases to get home?  I am surprised the laundry took 3 days!!  Was this with Viking?  One more thing for me to worry about....I thought once I had my suitcase at the airport I was lucky. I also usually send my carry on at this point will definitely never do that again...computer, medicines would definitely be ruined.  Do you know if hard-sided luggage faired any better than soft?

This was on Princess.

They "dried" our suitcases. When we got home we threw them away. The suitcases were "soft". Hard suitcases would likely have taken longer to sink and maybe not get as much water inside. Insurance paid for the things that were ruined, but it was a PITA. We had to track down receipts and document EVERYTHING.

1 hour ago, deec said:

We flew into Hong Kong a day early on our Hong Kong to Tokyo cruise with Viking last year.  Because of a route change, due to a volcano erupting in Russia, our luggage never made it onto the connecting flight from Seoul to Hong Kong.  It did show up a day later, and Viking arranged for it to make it to the ship.  In the meantime, they gave us amenity kits and overnight laundry service and we had clean clothes in the morning.  Like you, we had a change of clothes with us and stopped in the Uniqlo store in HK for a couple shirts and pants, just in case.

Maria

2 minutes ago, Lilyskittymom said:

We flew into Hong Kong a day early on our Hong Kong to Tokyo cruise with Viking last year.  Because of a route change, due to a volcano erupting in Russia, our luggage never made it onto the connecting flight from Seoul to Hong Kong.  It did show up a day later, and Viking arranged for it to make it to the ship.  In the meantime, they gave us amenity kits and overnight laundry service and we had clean clothes in the morning.  Like you, we had a change of clothes with us and stopped in the Uniqlo store in HK for a couple shirts and pants, just in case.

Maria

Not only is it wise to have a change of clothes in your carryon, it is also wise to cross-pack with your traveling companion in case only one suitcase is delivered.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Not only is it wise to have a change of clothes in your carryon, it is also wise to cross-pack with your traveling companion in case only one suitcase is delivered.

Definitely.  We do that all the time.  Very good advice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Will we be alone?

Once burned...

As good a reason as any not to want to turn your luggage over to anyone.  

However, with Viking, if your suitcases are too big to fit through the scanners on the gangway, you may have to be separated from your luggage. Better to find out before you pack your bags what you are dealing with. In orher words, you need more info than we can provide; I don't think any of us can tell you the maximum size suitcase a scanner can handle or even if it differs from ship to ship.

I suggest contacting Viking directly.  Use this address, not the call center or chat, tellus@vikingcruises.com.  include your booking number and your phone number. "TellUs" is a higher level of customer service; if they don't have an answer for you, they know who does and will get you an answer. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Once burned...

As good a reason as any not to want to turn your luggage over to anyone.  

However, with Viking, if your suitcases are too big to fit through the scanners on the gangway, you may have to be separated from your luggage. Better to find out before you pack your bags what you are dealing with. In orher words, you need more info than we can provide; I don't think any of us can tell you the maximum size suitcase a scanner can handle or even if it differs from ship to ship.

I suggest contacting Viking directly.  Use this address, not the call center or chat, tellus@vikingcruises.com.  include your booking number and your phone number. "TellUs" is a higher level of customer service; if they don't have an answer for you, they know who does and will get you an answer. 

Never had suitcases scanned on the gangway.

Most of our cruises have been out of San Pedro, CA and the scanners are at security before you get to the waiting area and then to the gangway and onto the ship.

Guess I'll contact "TellUs".

5 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Agreed.... ask me how I know to do that now.

6 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

We've never had a problem like that but once we left from the NYC port going north and there was another cruise ship in dock going south.  They put another couples luggage that was suppose to be on our ship on the other ship. So, yes, things can happen. We always travel with at least one change of cloths, undies and usually a extra pair of shoes in our carry ons.  

Happened in San Pedro with Princess.  One lady's taxi driver dropped her off at the wrong ship and she gave the porters her luggage.  She then checked in for the correct ship (really not sure how that happened) but then found out, because she didn't get her luggage, that her luggage was bound for Hawaii and we were headed for the Panama Canal.  Our first stop was Cabo and she went shopping.  I don't know what happened later.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ssawjo said:

Happened in San Pedro with Princess.  One lady's taxi driver dropped her off at the wrong ship and she gave the porters her luggage.  She then checked in for the correct ship (really not sure how that happened) but then found out, because she didn't get her luggage, that her luggage was bound for Hawaii and we were headed for the Panama Canal.  Our first stop was Cabo and she went shopping.  I don't know what happened later.

Oh my....

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Never had suitcases scanned on the gangway.

Most of our cruises have been out of San Pedro, CA and the scanners are at security before you get to the waiting area and then to the gangway and onto the ship.

Guess I'll contact "TellUs".

Every time we board the ship, any bags we carry onto the ship are scanned as we board. In Greenwich a few weeks ago, the scanners were on the dock before we climbed the gangway but the rest of the trip, they were on the ship -- tap your boarding card, drop your bags on the belt and walk through the arches.

Now, I could be wrong (and heavens knows I've been wrong before) and maybe they will accept a shore side scan at San Pedro -- but isn't it wise to be prepared just in case I am right? Your concern is keeping your bags with you.  The more information you have, the less stress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our cases are fairly waterproof, but we pack everything in bin bags (trash can liners) in case of rain or other aquatic misadventure, or escaping toiletries. The bags also seperate clean from dirty if required, or wet coats and shoes. 

Can be reused for their intended purpose when back home

• Like 3