A few specific epic questions

soggy1975

We're on the Epic for a week at the end of August and I have a few ship specific questions.

We're staying in a family balcony room..do these have coffee makers and can these be used to make tea?

Are hair straighteners allowed on board (for wifey not me😃)?

Does anyone have any tips for which restaurants to eat in and when to avoid ques/crowds? We plan to only eat in the free places and I've heard mention of certain places being worth avoiding on say sea days/embarkation day.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

We are also on the Epic the end of August. (8/27). If you are on that sailing, come join our roll call! I can help you with your questions, as we have been on Epic before. We are also in 2 family balcony cabins. Yes, they had coffee makers in the family balcony cabins when we sailed on her last. Yes, you can use them just for hot water - just don't put the coffee pod in! Yes, you can bring a hair straightener onboard. DD will not travel without one!

This is the first cruise where we are not eating in specialty restaurants. The buffet will probably be jammed when you board. O'Sheehan's may be less crowded - good pub food. Also, one of the dining rooms will probably be open and less crowded. As we only have one sea day, I think eating on the early side (as soon as the buffet opens if you want to eat there) would be best. O'Sheehan's is open 24/7, and gets really crowded on sea days around lunch and dinner times. There is a grill on deck 15 in Spice H20, but I have no idea if it will be open on embark day. Hope this helps a bit!

We're on the Epic for a week at the end of August and I have a few ship specific questions.

Does anyone have any tips for which restaurants to eat in and when to avoid ques/crowds? We plan to only eat in the free places and I've heard mention of certain places being worth avoiding on say sea days/embarkation day.

Thanks

My best recommendation for where to eat when is this: if you think you might want to eat at Shanghai (the Asian/noodle bar restaurant), do it the first or second night. Once the masses find out it's free, the lines get crazy later in the cruise. I walked right in the first night of my cruise in January, and never got to eat there again. :eek: Enjoy the Epic - she's a lovely ship with an incredible crew!

Do try all specialty testaurants esp Modernos Cagneys and Bistro ...Cucina was suprisinly good too

I loved lunch in Taste ...do not miss Priscilla, Burn the Floor and any other show .We had an amazing Spanish dance trio ...wonderful

Enjoy ..Ive been 5 times on Epic ..its a great ship ..do not miss Cirque Dreams ..excellent

Have a great time ...Epic remains one of my favorite ships

Heya,

Weve done the epic a few times.

1. Your room will have a coffee maker in it and it also does make tea.

2. You can take your hair straighteners on board but just a word of caution Mrs GHD's caught fire due to the plug voltage being messed up and sending way to much through the system.(NCL did refund us the cost of the straighteners) Cruises after we have used extension leads in the cabins due to only two pug sockets.

3. On embankment day for no ques go to taste we have never had to wait. We've done most of the restaurants and in terms of the free main dinning restaurants we prefer the atmosphere in Taste over Manhattan

Have a good cruise

Looks likes people have covered your questions on the coffee makers and hair straightener (you can use it too!). As far was where to eat for no lines. I discovered about day 3 of a 10-day cruise that O'Sheehan's was a better choice for breakfast than the buffet. No lines and more pleasant atmosphere. They have a limited breakfast menu, but it was quite sufficient for my needs. To avoid lines, another option is to go to dinner outside the prime time. If you arrive at the restaurant at 6:00 there won't be much, if any, waiting. Go at 7:00 and you may have to wait a bit.

Enjoy the Epic. Love that ship! One of my best cruise ever was last year on the Epic, and I'll be sailing her again in Sept. :D

My best recommendation for where to eat when is this: if you think you might want to eat at Shanghai (the Asian/noodle bar restaurant), do it the first or second night. Once the masses find out it's free, the lines get crazy later in the cruise. I walked right in the first night of my cruise in January, and never got to eat there again. :eek: Enjoy the Epic - she's a lovely ship with an incredible crew!

Do Shanghai do a takeaway option?

Thought it would be a nice option to eat on our balcony or up on deck in fresh air

We did the Epic in 2012. We have also done one or more cruises on the Gem, Jade, Star and Sun. The entertainment on the Epic was great with the Cir Solet dinner.

However, the Epic was our least favorite ship. We still enjoyed the cruise, but the pool area was way too crowded and noisy. Loud speaker were blaring. The food was fairly good on Epic and the MDR was good, but I suggest you try a specialty restaurant or two.

It depends on what type of food that you like, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Brazilian steakhoure, French or Steak.

We like Le Bistro the best.

Thought it would be a nice option to eat on our balcony or up on deck in fresh air

Good question that I don't know the answer to. If I had to guess, I would say no - only based on the fact that O'Sheehan's wouldn't let me take my food to go. If you're lucky enough to have a Haven suite, your butler would be able to bring it to you for balcony dining, though. :)

Enjoy the Epic. Love that ship! One of my best cruise ever was last year on the Epic, and I'll be sailing her again in Sept. :D

I'm looking at the Epic cruise to Italy out of Barcelona next year. Not sure about the bigger ships! I loved the Spirit and they our out of Rome with a good itinerary. Also considering the Star from Venice as I'd love to do the Dalmation coast.

What is it about the Epic you love? I'd love to hear. My concern is so many people. We are OV/Balcony type folks and concerned about getting lost in the shuffle. Any insight is appreciated!

Eat everywhere, it's all awesome. Don't listen to negativity about the buffet, great quality and great choice. Of course it's busy, it's a cruise ship buffet.

We usually have lunch at O'Sheehans on embarkation.

Enjoy a wonderful ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm looking at the Epic cruise to Italy out of Barcelona next year. Not sure about the bigger ships! I loved the Spirit and they our out of Rome with a good itinerary. Also considering the Star from Venice as I'd love to do the Dalmation coast.

What is it about the Epic you love? I'd love to hear. My concern is so many people. We are OV/Balcony type folks and concerned about getting lost in the shuffle. Any insight is appreciated!

What I love most about The Epic is the nighttime vibe. The amount of different options for music, entertainment and comdedy. You can wander from bar to bar and get all sorts of different people and atmospheres.

You'll always find a quiet area of you want it, no matter how big a ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are sailing on the Epic in December, there are 4 of us ladies going and staying in one cabin (free at sea promo)

We upgraded to a M2 cabin on the 13th deck... with a balcony

Has anyone stayed in this type of cabin? If so can you give me pro's and con's for 4 adults please

We are sailing on the Epic in December, there are 4 of us ladies going and staying in one cabin (free at sea promo)

Has anyone stayed in this type of cabin? If so can you give me pro's and con's for 4 adults please

Make sure all of you are aware of the "interesting" layout of the sink, toilet and shower; and prepare whoever might have privacy issues. I believe you are in a family mini-suite, so also decide on who gets to sleep in the drop down bed and the sofa bed.

The appetizers from Spice H2O are served outside in takeout boxes, small portions and a long wait. Order them free a la carte at any server at Spice (aft sun deck) and be sure to order multiple items and ask them to bring them all at once.

Or the outdoors section of the Garden Cafe buffet on the same deck, deck 15, called the Great Outdoors.

Or bring any plate from the buffet back to your balcony.

Pros? Plenty of choices of outfits to choose from [emoji3]

In all honestly, you'll be pretty pushed for space. We usually have a balcony with my two slim 13&15 daughters and it can be a bit harrassing.

I tend to get ready first and head out to a bar to wait and give the girls space and privacy. You might want to consider staggering dressing times if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OMG-the thought of 4 adults sharing a cabin is scary😱! Not sure what an M2 is, hopefully its larger than average? We've just returned from a great time in the Med on Epic...we had a balcony cabin on 13. Our booking said it was a "family balcony" but luckily it was just the 2 of us ...the rather silly curved couch didn't look as if anyone could possibly sleep on it. No sign of a drop down bed from ceiling. It was very snug just for the 2 of us!!! Lots of storage space tho. My poor family( 2 adults & 2 tallish teens) were opposite us in a family inside...what a squash! Double bed plus 2 drop down beds coming from ceiling. Steward put the beds back up every morning & down again every night but it was still such a small space for 4. Difficult to all get ready in the mornings or to get changed in the evenings...my granddaughter came over to our room to do her hair & make up. Hope you are really good friends.....Using the shower will be interesting!

The Epic was the first mega-ship I've ever sailed. Believe me, I understand the apprehension of sailing on a ship that size! I was very pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed her so much. What I loved (or at least liked) about the Epic:

• Tons to do; I've never been bored on the smaller ships, but I liked that there was always something going on that I would enjoy if I chose to attend even though I spent a lot of time on the spa balcony reading books :D
  • Studio cabin and lounge (I was shocked I loved that tiny little cabin! I'm 6'1" just for context)--I loved starting my day in the lounge; it was a nice way to enjoy a quiet start to my day
  • Entertainment--specifically Priscilla--SO good!
  • It was really easy to learn the layout of the ship
  • The SPA. I went there every day and it was definitely a highlight
  • Variety--I began sailing with NCL because of the variety of dining options, and I love going to the different restaurants and not eating in the same place every evening
  • The staff/crew; they were friendly and helpful
  • It never really felt all that crowded to me except coming out of the theatre or on debarkation day when everyone wanted to use the elevators at the same time!
  • The itinerary--I was on a 10-night Morocco and Canary Islands cruise
  • My roll call--that's not about the ship, but this was probably the best roll call group I've ever participated in; it didn't hurt that I coordinated the M&G so had lots of opportunity to meet members (we had more than 100 attend the M&G)

I think the roll call had a lot to do with how I felt about the cruise. There were several of us who had spa passes and would see each other there every day. I usually cruise solo and spend a lot of time by myself (by choice) and on this cruise I spent a lot of time with other people. We arranged tours in every port and there were different roll call members on each tour, so that was a fun way to meet more members.

What I didn't like about the Epic was the lack of view of the sea. Being in a studio, I didn't have a view to begin with. That's probably one of the reasons I gravitated to the spa balcony. I'm sure I'll do that again in Sept.:D Most people complain about the fact that there are only two banks of elevators, but I took that into consideration when I booked my cabin so I was just down the hall from elevators.

I'm excited about being on the Epic again, and I was prepared to lower my expectations this time as I imagined I'd never repeat such a great roll call experience, but I have to say the roll call for our sailing in Sept is exceeding my expectations! So maybe there won't be any lowering after all. :cool:

OMG-the thought of 4 adults sharing a cabin is scary😱!

I have to agree! Even when my kids were kids we would book connecting cabins. I can't imagine sharing a cabin with three other adults! Since my kids are all grown, I now usually cruise solo, and on my next cruise -- in 11 days!! -- I'm bringing a friend with me and I'm concerned about sharing with just one other person since I've become so accustomed to having a cabin to myself! LOL.