Sagrada Familia Dress Code

We are visiting the Sagrada Familia and wanted to know if we will be allowed entry to most of the cathedral if we are in shorts and t-shirts or do we need to wear pants and long sleeves? Their websites mentions certain areas that we can not enter if we are not properly dressed, but the rest of the family is fighting me on wearing pants. I just want to make sure that we can see most of it if we are in shorts. Thanks in advance for your help.

Shoulders and knees must be covered at all churches in Europe.

We didn't see anyone in shorts when we visited the Sagrada a year ago.

My husband had those long pants that you can zip off the bottoms and turn them into shorts for later on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thought this might help....

Behaviour and clothing

Out of respect for other visitors and in order to maintain an atmosphere of contemplation suitable for a place of worship, you are asked not to raise your voice during your visit. During the visit you are asked to behave politely, and refrain from forming crowds or running on the site.

Visitors are asked to conduct themselves respectfully and dress decorously.

For safety, no hats are allowed inside the nave or the museum except for religious, health or belief-related reasons.

No smoking or eating is allowed anywhere on the site. Drinks may only be consumed outside the building. Visitors are asked to keep the site clean and not drop litter.

Visitors are asked to be respectful when viewing heritage and museum pieces.

Acts of protest or political demonstration are strictly prohibited anywhere on the Sagrada Familia site.

Visitors will not be allowed to enter with special clothing to celebrate any sort of festivities, nor with any decorations designed to distract or draw attention for artistic, religious, promotional or any other purposes.

In the space set aside for prayer and reflection in the Chapel of the Eucharist in the ambulatory and throughout the Altar zone, visitors may not enter wearing:

-Trousers, dresses or skirts that don’t fully cover the knees when seated or standing

-Shorts

-Sleeveless t-shirts, vests, tank tops, crop tops or other shirts exposing the belly or shoulders

-Shirts with sleeves not reaching the elbow

-Plunging necklines

-Beachwear

-Bright colours or flashy clothes that could be a distraction

-Transparent clothing

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are visiting the Sagrada Familia and wanted to know if we will be allowed entry to most of the cathedral if we are in shorts and t-shirts or do we need to wear pants and long sleeves? Their websites mentions certain areas that we can not enter if we are not properly dressed, but the rest of the family is fighting me on wearing pants. I just want to make sure that we can see most of it if we are in shorts. Thanks in advance for your help.

Visitors in shorts won't be turned away but it is considered disrespectful. Please ask your family to respect the Basilica and those who worship there by wearing long pants and covering your shoulders (same if you intend to visit any other Churches when in Europe).

Visitors in shorts won't be turned away but it is considered disrespectful. Please ask your family to respect the Basilica and those who worship there by wearing long pants and covering your shoulders (same if you intend to visit any other Churches when in Europe).

Thank you, Campolady, for stating this.

My thought for CharlotteNCcruiser is to visit the Sagrada Familia only with those family members who wish to respect the dress code as outlined by Around the World. To me their choice would be to comply or to find something else to do if it is that much of a hassle for them to dress in long pants and shirts that go to the elbow.

Those rules apply throughout churches and places of worship in Europe. Surely it's not a hardship to wear a longish skirt or lightweight trousers.

The problem is tourists don't treat the Sagrada Familia (or other churches and cathedrals) as places of worship, but as a medieval Disneyland.

Insanemagnet

You are right. I was in Rheims cathedral and an oriental young couple laughing and giggling loudly and taking selfies. In a church in Rome an Italian woman talking extremely loudly on her mobile phone etc

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

During my visit I wore light cotton cropped (capri) trousers, not as hot as full length but sufficiently respectful. My daughter was wearing a t-shirt with thin straps but took a lightweight short-sleeved shrug to wear whilst in the cathedral and to cover up if she started to burn outdoors. Hubby and son wore shorts IIRC, but they were very smart, on-the-knee chinos, with light, short-sleeved cotton shirt and polo shirt and no-one complained or looked askance.

Thank you for your comments and advice. In case anyone else is looking for guidance I can say that although we all wore pants or skirts and shirts with sleeves we were definitely in the minority. It was a heat wave in Barcelona and I would say over half the people did not have sleeves on their shirts or shoulders covered and I saw a lot of knees. :o I was given a lot of grief by my family, but we were respectful. I did not see anyone turned away for improper dress and there were some doozies. I am happy that we were able to visit.

I agree with some comments above. Sadly some behaviours displayed by some visitors are totally inappropriate -not so much because of the attire, but for the attitudes inside the building.

Sagrada Familia is one of those "rare" exceptions in the realm of the religious buildings because not only its architectural uniqueness makes it outstanding and similar to nothing else in the world, but the way it's sharing its construction with visitors, the limited "religious usage" that is being given during this phase to the premises.... etc For starters, it's not yet a place of worship per se, albeit mass is celebrated in one of the spaces from time to time, as it's being still built. Then I suppose the fact SF is self-financed -via donations and visitors' tickets, without any other public or private money- makes it prone to allow some frivolities (ie. strictness on dress codes or even on behaviours) that one wouldn't normally expect in other more traditional religious buildings.... at least for now. It's going to be finished in 2026, coinciding with the centenary of Gaudí's birthday, then I would imagine it'll continue to be a museum-like attraction but perhaps in a different manner than today's and becomes more "religious".

In any case, this is still a religious building today (it was consecrated as a basílica by Pope Benedict XVI in 2010) so one should respect the premises when visited much as one would respect say the Vatican, Buckingham Palace or the White House -each one for its own merits- as they represent something to a lot of people and showing respect for faith or beliefs is a must when travelling and a sign of education and civism... and I'm saying this being myself an atheist! :)))