First Time on HAL after several other cruises - AnytimeDining and other questions.

We are booked on our first HAL cruise on Koningsdam to the Norwegian Fjords later this month. We have been on several other cruises on Princess, Royal Caribbean and Carnival. I had a few questions very specific to HAL that I hope can be answered by the HAL veterans on this board.

1. We have asked for "AnyTime Dining" for dinner. How does this work in HAL? Can we make specific time reservations once we get on the ship or do one on each day? I assume we will be seated at whatever table is available at that time. On other cruise lines we had the option to reserve times as soon as we got on the ship and were assigned to the same table every night even though it was Anytime Dining.

2. I have read these boards a bit and have had several good things to read about HAL and the Koningsdam in particular. What are the things that would be different on this line that would be different from say Princess, RCI or Carnival etc?

3. Is there anything about HAL that experienced HAL cruisers can share that would be helpful to a first time cruiser on HAL?

Thanks in Advance to all responses.

We were on the Zuiderdam in May 2016. We could make anytime dining reservations up to 3 days ahead, so we made 3 bookings the first day, then each day after we made another reservation for 3 days down the road. You can request any size table you like and once we found a waiter we liked, we asked for him each night when we arrived for dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Once you are on the ship, you can make reservations for OPEN SEATING.

The reservations can only be made for times between 5:15 - 6:15 and 7:30 - 9. You can reserve for any size of table and for 3 days at a time. On the Koningsdam you may be seated on either the lower or upper level.

The time between 6:15 - 7:30 -- you just show up when you are ready to eat. You can request any size table you want.

If you ask for a large table, some of you may be eating while others arrive. HAL has no rules on this.

If you do find a time and size table you like, you can talk to the dining room manager and request the same table and waiters for each night of the cruise.

We were on the Zuiderdam in May 2016. We could make anytime dining reservations up to 3 days ahead, so we made 3 bookings the first day, then each day after we made another reservation for 3 days down the road. You can request any size table you like and once we found a waiter we liked, we asked for him each night when we arrived for dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is very helpful. Thank you.

Once you are on the ship, you can make reservations for OPEN SEATING.

The reservations can only be made for times between 5:15 - 6:15 and 7:30 - 9. You can reserve for any size of table and for 3 days at a time. On the Koningsdam you may be seated on either the lower or upper level.

The time between 6:15 - 7:30 -- you just show up when you are ready to eat. You can request any size table you want.

If you ask for a large table, some of you may be eating while others arrive. HAL has no rules on this.

If you do find a time and size table you like, you can talk to the dining room manager and request the same table and waiters for each night of the cruise.

Thanks for the detailed response to my questions. It is very helpful to plan what we would like to do.

We have the Signature Beverage package. I understand that it covers any drink up to $8 a day up to 15 drinks a day. How does it work if a drink is over $8? Do they just charge me the difference over $8?

The SBP now covers drinks up to $9 (the vast majority of cocktails come under this limit). If you do choose a drink that costs more than $9, you have to pay the entire cost, charged to your cabin account.

The SBP now covers drinks up to $9 (the vast majority of cocktails come under this limit). If you do choose a drink that costs more than $9, you have to pay the entire cost, charged to your cabin account.

Good to know. Thank you.

Something HAL does that I have not encountered on other lines: they serve the (most of) the same entrees in the buffet as they do in the MDR. If you don't feel like sitting through the lengthy served dinner, you can serve yourself and still enjoy the main entrees.

Something HAL does that I have not encountered on other lines: they serve the (most of) the same entrees in the buffet as they do in the MDR.
Royal Caribbean does as well.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.