Australia

raffeer

This from an article in today's 11/26 Miami Herald-

"Privately owned Oceania, which employs 159 at its Doral headquarters, also announced plans this week to introduce a fourth ship. Oceania said it's in final negotiations for the ship and has even set a date for its naming ceremony -- July 7, 2007, in Hong Kong. The ship likely will sail in Australia, New Zealand and Asia, Rubacky said."

I suspect that this will make a few people quite happy.

Beatrice

There is a lot of speculation that it may be the Pacific Princess - which of course disappoints many Princess customers.

To date, I have not seen any definite answer as to which former R ship the new acquisition will be.

There is another thread, titled "New Ship" on this subject half-dozen entries down this list.

One of the R ships is already sailing up and down the east coast of Australia. It may be for P&O, can't remeber the cruiseline name. I looked into to it for a trip to Australia next year but about fainted at the prices. 7 day cruise in an inside cabin for US$2000. Yikes! It's being marketed to Australians-apparently because there is no competition they can charge what they want.

... and has even set a date for its naming ceremony -- July 7, 2007, in Hong Kong. The ship likely will sail in Australia, New Zealand and Asia, Rubacky ... said Beatrice ...

July, 2007, that is long term planning. I suspect it may be the Pacific Princess. Just lease over an existing ship in an existing market, renovate it and make it Oceania, that should be a safe way to expand. Besides, with this fourth ship mostly dispatched to the South Pacific, it will not self-compete with other Oceania ships!

One of the R ships is already sailing up and down the east coast of Australia. It may be for P&O, can't remeber the cruiseline name. I looked into to it for a trip to Australia next year but about fainted at the prices. 7 day cruise in an inside cabin for US$2000. Yikes! It's being marketed to Australians-apparently because there is no competition they can charge what they want.

There are other cruise lines that sail to Australiasia on a "rotating" basis (though not year round). If you pay roughly $400 per diem ($2800 per week), you can get a large cabin with all drinks and tips included!

We have always wanted to cruise Australia and New Zealand, but the only real option to hit the ports we wanted is Sapphire Princess (2800+ pax). We're booked for 2/07. Once we determine that Oceania will do a similar itinerary, we'll "jump ship" and switch to "the Big 'O'".

Mike

Yes, cruises here in Australia are a joke price-wise. I paid for my last two cruises online through USA websites, inlcuding our upcoming Oceania cruise. When I phoned the local agent for Oceania, she said there was no way that she could match the online price, so don't consider paying for any cruise here in Australia! Consider previous statement about the lack of competition might be on the money - we don't have such a cruise culture as USA does.

Yes, cruises here in Australia are a joke price-wise. I paid for my last two cruises online through USA websites, inlcuding our upcoming Oceania cruise. When I phoned the local agent for Oceania, she said there was no way that she could match the online price, so don't consider paying for any cruise here in Australia! Consider previous statement about the lack of competition might be on the money - we don't have such a cruise culture as USA does.

And the free air benefit isn't even available for you! Does Oceania at least give you a credit, in the same way that we in the States receive a credit when we book our own air?

A pair of cruisers we met from New Zealand said they got no air credit, as Oceania's free air offer was limited to those flying in from US gateway cities (which is how I think the air credit is calculated for each passenger). Anyhow, they said that their airfare ended up costing as much as the cruise itself, which they chalked up as one of the burdens of living Down Under. Or maybe that's because they (like Lahore below) used the web to book the cruise instead of a US-based travel agent?

When booking my June 2005 Oceania Med Cruise, my UK TA was not able to offer any reduction for the airfare not being used.....for my 2006 Oceania cruise my USA Agent obtained a substantial reduction for which we are very grateful.

Brian

Yep, my online agency (cruisquick) delivered a discount over and above the reduced two-for-one price, which I took to be because of the airfare. We are using frequent flyer points so airfare no problemo! HK cheap from here anyway.

Archived