Latest reviews are scaring me!

MDgal76

It is unfortunate that the vocal minority has the ability to negatively impact others. Please remember that malcontents seem to have time on their hands because they can't find happiness in anything they do except belittling everything and everyone because it empowers them. Complaining about food served on a cruise IS the epitome of first world problems! ;) As in all things in life, your experience is what you make of it. Go with determination that it is all going to be great and enjoy sharing your joy with your husband.

NCL Sunward 1974

NCL Starward 1978

Costa Daphne 1982

Carnival Triumph 2001

Carnival Conquests 2005

Carnival Magic 2014

This right here is your answer!

I have been on 7 Royal Caribbean cruises and 14 Carnival cruises with my 15th and 16th Carnival cruises starting in about a week. They do have a lot of similarities and I don't think that the food is the biggest difference. I have been on the Allure of the Seas, one of their mega ships and I can honestly tell you that it was truly amazing, but not because of food, but because of the vastness of the ship and the shows, including the aqua theater in the back. It was amazing. That being said...my family and I went back to Carnival because we just enjoyed the atmosphere more. The workers seemed to be happier and more willing to engage in conversation, which we love. They seem to create a more festive environment, which is what we love the most.

It's just like anything else in life...if you are looking for the bad things, you will find them. If you are looking on the bright side, life will be a much better experience. If you have never been on a big ship, then I would definitely recommend that at some point, you take a Royal Caribbean cruise on one of the biggest ships. If there is one thing that they get right, it's crowd control. I have felt more crowded on ships one third the size than I have on the Allure. The ship is so huge that you can get lost!

I am not saying to necessarily cancer your current trip...rather I'm simply recommending that you try a big ship at some point in time in order to compare. The only thing that has stopped me from going back to the Allure or Oasis is the fact that I have to fly everyone there, which gets quite expensive. I tend to take a lot of other family members along, which many times I pay for.

Good luck and don't fret!

Brad

It's just like anything else in life...if you are looking for the bad things, you will find them. If you are looking on the bright side, life will be a much better experience.
Amen. The most difficult part of reading review after review is trying to read into the review past that layer to get to the truth of the matter.

The reviews I've been reading over the last several months have help me realize a few things that have changed over recent years. This prevailing attitude on Carnival Cruises that you referred to, Brad, comes through to me, loud and clear, not just after peeling back the layers of the reviews and not just streaming out of the videos, but it also bubbles up from the tone of the forum itself. It has me expecting a very crowded but very laid-back and fun atmosphere. Meanwhile, the vibe I'm getting with regard to Royal Caribbean is that it has changed quite a bit. These larger ships perhaps have changed the nature of the line itself (maybe even in a way that I would like). However, the tone of the feedback I'm reading gives me the impression of passengers riding along the edge of dissatisfaction a good portion of the time.

Now these are just impressions gained through the written word and videos. It could just be a matter of random self-selection regarding who engages through what medium. However the tone of the two forums is just so overtly different in my eyes that there's got to be something to that. And if that's true it begs the question as to whether it was crafted by what the cruise line did or rather was the cruise line crafted by what the passengers did. Existential question number 143.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Who the heck goes on a cruise or any type of vacation and is expecting anything bad??!! This statement is truly ridiculous, if your going away its to get away, have a good time, relax and enjoy yourself and the trip. I don't go away and look for the "bad" things, they just happen!

Why go on vacation just to look for the bad things, its a very stupid thing to say....I just don't get it ugh!

In my experience the anytime dining has improved. The set time dining may be a better service as the wait staff does get to know you and the timing/flow is smoother. On some ships in the past we were asked when arriving each evening if we had a preference for wait team so were usually able to have some continuity. On the Splendor in April we were never asked, just assigned each evening but had very good service all nights but one. That night was the 2nd formal night and we were asked if we wanted to wait for a table for 2 or share a table. We decided to share a table and not only did we have to wait for the table to be filled but one of the couples ordered several choices of each course so it slowed down service to the rest of us. We may have gotten out of the dining room sooner waiting for a table for two but enjoyed visiting the new people we met that night.

I enjoy reading reviews and agree with previous poster that pointed out that often if the reviewer posts a negative review it may have one main complaint that soured their entire trip. I can understand that. Our one & only suite we had terrible room stewards and I really felt the need to clean our cabin when we first arrived and throughout the entire cruise. Having greasy face smears on the balcony door and food crusted to the table from previous passengers really makes you question how clean the bed & bathroom are. We had a good time but knew we were not receiving the same service we had in the past and it did color our opinion on that cruise. Fortunately we have not had that happen since and I do double check to make sure I have plenty of Clorox wipes packed just in case.

But....I also try to use the same judgement when I read a trip from someone that always seems to have an absolutely perfect review. Not sure if they are usually travel agents or have travelled so many cruises that Carnival has them flagged as extremely VIP. I am exaggerating here but I am talking about the ones where they are hailed by the Captain, bar staff, the wait staff, hugged by previous room stewards who remember their names and if something very minor happens (salt shaker gets knocked over) - they are given yet another plate of chocolate covered strawberries in their room. I am not saying they are not telling the truth - I just know that will not be my reality and do not want to set my expectations that high and end up writing a negative review :D

Who the heck goes on a cruise or any type of vacation and is expecting anything bad??!!
The way it seems to me is that those people recognize that there is more than enough good to make it worthwhile to go while they still retain a critical eye toward what (I suppose) they​ feel used to be better or otherwise should be better.

And to be fair, we have to go into practically everything recognizing that there is bad along with the good. We're going on a Alaska cruise. That means we're going to have to fly up to the northwest. That's bad. Very bad. But the whole trip is still worth it because overall the good will overwhelm the bad.

Now that's a lot different than expecting the cruise itself to be bad and still going, but again my impression is that those people aren't expecting the bottom line overall to be bad. They're just expecting certain patches of badness within the whole.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

bUU I agree, the reason why I have gone back to Carnival (but I do take other cruise and vacations yearly and if I only went on one trip a year, it certainly won't be a Carnival cruise)...I don't mind flying and if I have to fly 24 hours to get to lets say Australia, if I want to go somewhere I don't let the travel get to me I just accept it and do it and look forward to the cruise even more lol. Perhaps, flying to me is like getting into a car, I done it tons of times its just a way to get to a place, at least for me. Look at things this way, would you rather drive or fly, I bet you say fly so now you should feel better about the traveling.

Look at things this way, would you rather drive or fly, I bet you say fly so now you should feel better about the traveling.
No hesitation whatsoever: I would rather drive. If there was a highway from Los Angeles to Sydney Australia I would consider it. And US domestic coach is verging on inhumane conditions in my estimation. I absolutely positively hate flying, and this is after finishing a career during which for a good part of it I would fly to three or four cities a week 45 weeks a year. Or perhaps my hatred for flying came from that experience.

Who the heck goes on a cruise or any type of vacation and is expecting anything bad??!! This statement is truly ridiculous, if your going away its to get away, have a good time, relax and enjoy yourself and the trip. I don't go away and look for the "bad" things, they just happen!

Why go on vacation just to look for the bad things, its a very stupid thing to say....I just don't get it ugh!

Really? You've never met a negative nancy/Debbie downer type? I certainly have. Nothing is ever good enough. That type. It definitely exists.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really? You've never met a negative nancy/Debbie downer type? I certainly have. Nothing is ever good enough. That type. It definitely exists.

Well as alluded to before I think it's more a matter of people recognizing there's going to be bad amongst the good. However having said that with regard to those who might go a bit further in the negative direction as you're claiming here, I think rather than them being categorical Debbie downers I think it's more a matter of their highlighting as a negative whatever​ has changed from their nostalgic memory of cruises of yesteryear. At least from my read of the comments people post I haven't seen that many people who are likely to be categorical Debbie downers.

Well as alluded to before I think it's more a matter of people recognizing there's going to be bad amongst the good. However having said that with regard to those who might go a bit further in the negative direction as you're claiming here, I think rather than them being categorical Debbie downers I think it's more a matter of their highlighting as a negative whatever​ has changed from their nostalgic memory of cruises of yesteryear. At least from my read of the comments people post I haven't seen that many people who are likely to be categorical Debbie downers.

I don't mean in the sense of just reviews. She said nobody goes on a cruise expecting bad things to happen. Lol I disagree. I have family we've taken on trips and they are exactly like that. And they are the negative nancy type.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stars0921- LOL oh boy.....yikes lol.

EmeraldCoastCruisers- The Steakhouse on the Carnival ships is our most favorite out of all the specialty dining in RC and NCL! We eat dinner there every night on our past few Carnival cruises simply because we know what to expect in the MDR which we never enjoyed and just rather have the outstanding service and wonderful excellent food selection/quality/variety that the Carnival Steakhouse has provided us every time!

I have been on 39 Carnival cruises. I eat in the MDR every time it's open. On a week long cruise I might eat at the Lido buffet once. On port days when the MDR isn't open for lunch I usually opt for Pizza or the Deli.

In all of those meals and extensive menu selections the only thing that I didn't like was the Seafood Newburg. It was just too fishy for me.

If you spend any time reading reviews about RCCL, you will also find complaints about food. Some people don't like the new American Table/Feast menu, but I think it's great, and offers even more variety.

I have been on 8 Carnival cruises on the past 3 years and I have never had an issue. Yes the eggs at the buffet aren't great so I go to the omelette bar and ask for scrambled eggs. Service has always been extrodinary. Now I understand from the boards that years past things were so much better but I didn't cruise then so I don't notice the difference. Enjoy the heck out of your cruise. It is what you make of it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Just a quick story,

Just had gotten of the Liberty and on the shuttle going to the airport I started talking with a lady close in age. I said wow what a great ship and crew, we had a blast, so far our favorite ship and cruise.

She looked confused and said; it was terrible, crew food and the ship in general.

This just goes to show you can't go by what people say for the most part.

We found Libert to be a magical ship and for her a nightmare.

BTW we are sailing on Glory in Feb 2018.

My TA hated the ship yet a cousin enjoyed it very much.

I'll find out for myself. Don't go with the mindset of expecting issues and dislikes.

I'm one that rolls with the punches and makes the best out of a negative so go enjoy

You definitely have to go on the Oasis class of ship on Royal, it's so big but we never felt crowded except at the buffet and we only went there twice.

Just a quick story,

Just had gotten of the Liberty and on the shuttle going to the airport I started talking with a lady close in age. I said wow what a great ship and crew, we had a blast, so far our favorite ship and cruise.

She looked confused and said; it was terrible, crew food and the ship in general.

This just goes to show you can't go by what people say for the most part.

We found Libert to be a magical ship and for her a nightmare.

Exactly!!!! Glass is half full or glass is half empty mentality!!!! My MIL is the glass is half empty and thank goodness I've had her son near me longer than she has! I was raised with a very positive mother and so I try to live positively. Saying that, anytime I'm on a ship out in the deep blue sea I am VERY happy! Some cruises may have had better food, better service and even a better itinerary, BUT EVERY one of them have been amazing experiences!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I didn't pay the same! If i would have done that then I agree that would have been dumb! I surely would have gone on RCCL since I want to try one of their mega ships. But what I said or meant was that I didn't save much going with the Glory after choosing the AFT extended balcony. The same/similar on RCCL was a lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Understood, however " I "without hesitation, would choose an RCCL Mega ship inside cabin over a Glory extended aft balcony. I recently had an extended on a 9 night Splendor cruise and to tell you the truth, it was a colossal waste of money. I am not putting down Carnival, it is a great cost effective option if you are itinerary minded, yet a new cruiser like yourself who is looking for the wow factor.....IMO your money is best spent on the selection of the ship that gives you the most bang for your buck.

One last thought too is that you mentioned your hubby hates crowds. Again, we loved every cruise we've been on, but the one that stood out as one we wouldn't do again (although it was great to try once) is on the Mega ship Allure. We actually prefer the smaller ships. Feels a lot more relaxing and less crowded. The mega ships also have a lot more kids on them or it appears that way to us. We don't care much for booking shows ahead of time and all the mega ships require. So again, it's what experiences you're looking for and everyone is very different in thoughts for your decisions. Enjoy and have fun!!!! I was fortunate to be raised cruising. Hubby hadn't been on one and we traveled via the military for the first 20 years of our marriage. Finally for our 20th wedding anniversary we went on a cruise. He fell in love with cruising too thank goodness. We try to go as often as we can!

I can safely say I've never had a bad meal in the MDR on Carnival cruises. That person complaining about the eggs was probably referring to the eggs on the buffet and I have to agree...they are the worst but expected as they're powdered eggs. If you want real eggs in the buffet head for the omelet station. I quit reading reviews (other than photographic reviews) a long time ago. When people say their entire cruise was ruined because they found a rust stain on their balcony I tend to question their honesty (and sanity). We went on the Glory years ago and loved it...don't have any recent experience on her.

Understood, however " I "without hesitation, would choose an RCCL Mega ship inside cabin over a Glory extended aft balcony. I recently had an extended on a 9 night Splendor cruise and to tell you the truth, it was a colossal waste of money. I am not putting down Carnival, it is a great cost effective option if you are itinerary minded, yet a new cruiser like yourself who is looking for the wow factor.....IMO your money is best spent on the selection of the ship that gives you the most bang for your buck.

My husband is a combat veteran and i figured with a balcony he could go there and escape, if he had anxiety because of the people. It would allow him to relax and enjoy the ocean and not be bothered. And while I know there are places on the ship for that I know he would prefer the privacy of his own cabin.

One last thought too is that you mentioned your hubby hates crowds. Again, we loved every cruise we've been on, but the one that stood out as one we wouldn't do again (although it was great to try once) is on the Mega ship Allure. We actually prefer the smaller ships. Feels a lot more relaxing and less crowded. The mega ships also have a lot more kids on them or it appears that way to us. We don't care much for booking shows ahead of time and all the mega ships require. So again, it's what experiences you're looking for and everyone is very different in thoughts for your decisions. Enjoy and have fun!!!! I was fortunate to be raised cruising. Hubby hadn't been on one and we traveled via the military for the first 20 years of our marriage. Finally for our 20th wedding anniversary we went on a cruise. He fell in love with cruising too thank goodness. We try to go as often as I we can!

That's what I figured. If we were going with our boys we would def go mega simply for the activities, but since it's just us, my mom and step dad I figured smaller was better. Like you I am hoping he loves it and then I can try all of them. Even willing to be nickeled and dimmed on NCL ;)

On a different subject, what do you all think of your time dining? This wasn't available on my last cruise and I had late dining. I loved having the personal service of the same servers every night. Do you feel that is lost with the your time? I've read you can request the same wait staff every night but if they aren't available you either wait or get someone else.

If you think you absolutely MUST have the same wait-staff each night, then opt for early or late assigned seating. While you'll probably have a good wait-crew, it's always possible to get a terrible one (as we did on Liberty back in c. 2012). Our mistake (as a mixed table of 8 people) was in not complaining to the maître d' after the first night -- or at the latest, the second. If you opt for assigned seating, keep this in mind.

However, over my last four Carnival cruises we've had YTD, and we've been very pleased with it almost every time and every meal.

When it was just two of us and we requested the same wait-staff (because they were extra good the second night), we were able to get them without problems.

With a group of 8 (last October), we established a rapport with our MDR crew the first night and asked for them each night afterward. We were able to get them every night except one, although on one evening we DID have to wait 45 minutes for that big ol' table to clear up. The last night, there were no big tables available in their section for us, but the maître d' let our wait-crew put tables together for us in an adjacent section, which we all thought was really cool.

Overall, that was a great cruise for dining. We enjoyed the flexibility of YTD but enjoyed (almost every night) a really good wait-crew. Can't ask for better on any line.