Anchorage to Whittier Train, then Boat, then Cruise - Where to Store Luggage?

YYC009

Hello:

We are taking the Island Princess out of Whittier. The ship sails at 20:30.

We are looking at taking the Alaska Railway from Anchorage to Whittier. It arrives in Whittier at 12:05. We are wanting to take the Major Marine Prince William Sound Blackstone Glacier Cruise which departs at 12:45 and returns at 17:15.

My question is, obviously this glacier cruise is timed for those getting on or off the cruise ship. So, when we get off the railway at 12:05, where would we store our bags before we need to checkin by 12:15 for the 12:45 cruise? e.g.: Can we drop off our bags with Princess in this time? Is there luggage storage somewhere? From the map, the train station, harbour, and cruise terminal are all in the same area...?

Princess website says boarding only starts at 12:30...

Many thanks!

YYC009

Hello:

We are taking the Island Princess out of Whittier. The ship sails at 20:30.

We are looking at taking the Alaska Railway from Anchorage to Whittier. It arrives in Whittier at 12:05. We are wanting to take the Major Marine Prince William Sound Blackstone Glacier Cruise which departs at 12:45 and returns at 17:15.

My question is, obviously this glacier cruise is timed for those getting on or off the cruise ship. So, when we get off the railway at 12:05, where would we store our bags before we need to checkin by 12:15 for the 12:45 cruise? e.g.: Can we drop off our bags with Princess in this time? Is there luggage storage somewhere? From the map, the train station, harbour, and cruise terminal are all in the same area...?

Princess website says boarding only starts at 12:30...

Many thanks!

YYC009

We have done the train a few times. Love it!

When you board the train you give your luggage to the train porters and they put in in the baggage car.

(make sure the Princess bag tags are on your bags)

You will not see it again until it arrives in your cabin.

The train pulls up next to the ship and they will send your luggage to your cabin.

Like on the airlines don't pack anything of value or medicine etc in your checked baggage.

Take layers of clothing so that you are prepared for inclement weather.

Unless you have priority boarding you will probably not board until 1:00 or so. So you may have to go straight to your excursion.

Ok, wow. I thought only if I road the 'Princess Train' would the bag go onboard for me. I understood Alaska Railway was more of a independent style separate from any cruiseline. So if what you say is true, we would check in our bags with Alaska Railway in Anchorage at the railway station around 07:30 and not see them again until we are in our stateroom around 18:00? That way, we just take the train to Whittier, hop on our excursion cruise, then board our Princess cruise?

Ok, wow. I thought only if I road the 'Princess Train' would the bag go onboard for me. I understood Alaska Railway was more of a independent style separate from any cruiseline. So if what you say is true, we would check in our bags with Alaska Railway in Anchorage at the railway station around 07:30 and not see them again until we are in our stateroom around 18:00? That way, we just take the train to Whittier, hop on our excursion cruise, then board our Princess cruise?

There is no facility to bring that much luggage into the passenger rail cars.

Alaska RR works hand and hand with Princess in several aspects of their business.

They have to for the land tours.

That's the way it has worked for us every time.

We have always paid for a ticket direct from the ARR not Princess as a transfer.

To verify call them.

Customer Service 907-265-2620

Reservations 1-800-544-0552

If I am reading your other posts correctly, you are sailing this Wednesday June 14. And you are still just "looking at" taking the train from Anchorage that morning? I just checked their website and pre-booking for the 14th is already closed, you are instructed to call for availability. I would be on the phone as soon as the sun comes up there this morning. Based on the finite number of train cars and the limited schedule having to alternate travel through the single-track tunnel, I would in no way rely on being able to just turn-up-and-go (unless a recent traveler confirms me as wrong, which for your sake I hope they do).

If I am reading your other posts correctly, you are sailing this Wednesday June 14. And you are still just "looking at" taking the train from Anchorage that morning? I just checked their website and pre-booking for the 14th is already closed, you are instructed to call for availability. I would be on the phone as soon as the sun comes up there this morning. Based on the finite number of train cars and the limited schedule having to alternate travel through the single-track tunnel, I would in no way rely on being able to just turn-up-and-go (unless a recent traveler confirms me as wrong, which for your sake I hope they do).

Yes, we are 'looking' at booking the Alaska Railroad for June 14 Anchorage to Whittier on the Glacier Discovery at 09:45. The Alaska Railroad site is still selling seats when I looked just now. We were thinking of checking out the coupon books for sail when we arrive in Anchorage today as some have told us there may be a 2 for 1 offer that we could get. Your thoughts? You got me a little worried now...

When we took this last fall we took the Phillips 26 Glacier Cruise and it leaves from a dock just left of the ship checkin - had to go through a gate in the fence adjacent to the terminal building to get to the tour. Looks like Major Marine is in the same place. There is a covered walkway from the train to the terminal. Private transportation was also dropping off in the loop on that side of the fence. The gate isn't that obvious but if you get to the building you went too far.

Dinner will be open seating that night since people arrive from 10 AM to nearly 8 for the cruise.

These tours existed before the cruise lines came to Whittier. They are actually timed for the train. It allows those in Anchorage to go to Whittier for the tour and then back to Anchorage all in one day.

Yes, we are 'looking' at booking the Alaska Railroad for June 14 Anchorage to Whittier on the Glacier Discovery at 09:45. The Alaska Railroad site is still selling seats when I looked just now. We were thinking of checking out the coupon books for sail when we arrive in Anchorage today as some have told us there may be a 2 for 1 offer that we could get. Your thoughts? You got me a little worried now...

With luck, you'll be on that train on Wednesday! (We'll be on it two weeks from Wednesday!) When you arrive at the Alaska RR depot, go directly to the huge white tent that's next to the depot. Baggage handlers will take all bags that have Princess Cruise tags--Next time you see your bags, they will be outside your stateroom door! Hope you thoroughly enjoy your cruise. If you're a wildlife lover, stay out on deck with your binoculars ready and you won't be disappointed, especially once you reach Cross Sound/Icy Strait. From there all the way to Vancouver, sightings are likely! Before you reach Glacier Bay and after leaving it, humpback whale sightings are likely. And for about the first hour after you enter, sea otters and sea lions will greet you! Also watch for both varieties of puffins and other birds. (Yes, we're excited, and it will be our 10th Alaska cruise :D)