First Cruise Panic!!!

Bring at least two changes of clothing for hot and two for cold weather. We were on FLL to Copenhagen, and I thought it would be cold after the first day, and we were warm for the first 4 days.

Lots of schools of thought on shore excursions. We prefer ship tours. They're easier to cancel (24 hours notice) than private excursions, because phone service is poor while at sea. Also, if the ship's late most ship tours adjust.

Excuse me if this is in the wrong place. We are going on our first cruise in November, and have soooo many questions!!! My main problem is what clothes to take. As we are leaving from Southampton to go to Boston then NY, I know I will need some warm clothes for the ports, but will it be cold on board from Southampton? Warmer clothes are so much heavier, so I only want to take what I need. Can anyone advise me please?

We did a Transatlantic (our 2nd cruise) from Southampton to Puerto Rico November 2014. We spent a few days in England traveling around and meeting up with friends and family. My biggest concern was what to take to keep warm enough while were there in England! As it happened, the weather was balmy, almost too warm. Our only bad weather was some wind/rain/rolling seas the first day or two out of Southampton. In general, wherever you are cruising, plan on layers. Don't load up on multiple outfits all of which are suited for some notional climate. Instead, take fewer outfits and choose those which are adaptable with the addition or subtraction of a layer or two. This works for the North Atlantic, for the Antarctica, for the Caribbean, for Alaska... What if you aren't "properly" prepared? Worst case, you might decide to stay inside and thus miss out on the joy of being in the open air aboard a ship in the open ocean. Almost as bad, you might decide to buy a pullover, jacket, whatever in the ship's shops.

And by the way New York and Boston each have shops. If you are totally unprepared clothing-wise for the U.S. Northeast in November, you can readily find places willing (nay, eager) to sell you anything you might need! In short, don't stress too much about doing the perfect plan. If you are wrong, if stuff happens, if you need to adapt then so be it, it is all part of the adventure.

Enjoy!

If you are from UK make sure you take ESTA to immigration/passport check at Boston. Apparently in the past they have told UK guests it is not needed and after queuing for a long time they have been sent to get and ended up at the back of the line. I also understand that if you want to do anything in Boston it is preferable to do a ship excursion so you can get through immigration earlier.

Miami when you get there will be warm!

As others have said inside is climate controlled and I would recommend you take a nice pashmina as sometimes it can be a bit chilly in the dining room, especially if you are near an air con outlet.

Thank you. I was hoping it would be a little warmer onboard as it is inside!!!

Hi, the temperature inside the ship is fairly constant so don't worry too much, I think we're on the same cruise and I plan on wearing shorts around the ship and something a little warmer on the upper deck.

If it's cold in ports just take a warm coat and plenty of layers underneath.

Wow, someone did tell me it can be warm in NY in November!!! I'd envisaged a foot of snow lol. Thanks for the info.

It really can be either in NY in November. The New York Marathon is scheduled for this time of year as Marathoner's prefer temps in the 40sF, but 70's or below Freezing is possible. Its a very transitional time.

You are working too hard at this! Vacation. Happy time. Enjoy. Someone else making dinner and cleaning your room. Do as much or as little as you like. No driving (my favorite).

All you really need is passport, ESTA, cash/credit card, bathing suit, camera and some clothes. Light jacket in case it gets cool. Dress clothes if you like to dress up for dinner. Think long weekend at hotel at home for packing.

We did a TA a few years ago and stopped in Iceland twice. Shorts and T shirt weather. Icebergs around Greenland. Long pants and windproof jacket with hood (still froze). Most folks bring three times the clothes they need.

Two small pieces of advice: Don't try to do everything on board - save some for a future trip. And don't try to eat every course at every meal - you won't be able to get up from the table. If you really can't decide which item to eat they will cheerfully bring it all!