Live reporting oasis eastern Caribbean 6/11-6/18

I keep thinking of things I left out--one more thing that we really missed on oasis which is on the Dream is a poolside movie screen. They show outdoor films in the aqua theater, but it is definitely not the same.

Other RC ships have these. It seemed very popular when we were on Enchantment a few years ago. They also used it for World Cup matches which was pretty cool.

I can see why you'd prefer poolside to the aqua theater.

We will be on Oasis of the Seas on July 16 and my son is also gluten free. I am very interested in hearing how they handled things and what type of offerings they had for your daughter. We will be eating in the MDR most nights, but we also ave a reservation at Giovanni's. Thanks.

Originally posted by mdaviswv Thanks so much for doing this review, it was very informative. I missed seeing that you were from PA until your conclusion. Do you mind if i ask about the drive? We're driving to the Oasis from WV in November. We've been debating how much time it will require. Did you overnight once each way, or more than once? How close do you recommend being to Port Canaveral the night before boarding? Anything you could add about the roadtrip portion would be much appreciated. Thanks again!

The Pooler exit near Savannah has several hotels and restaurants to choose from and access from and back to I95 is super simple.

We will be on Oasis of the Seas on July 16 and my son is also gluten free. I am very interested in hearing how they handled things and what type of offerings they had for your daughter. We will be eating in the MDR most nights, but we also ave a reservation at Giovanni's. Thanks.
I will try my best. The important thing to do is to ask at every dining venu you visit. They are very well prepared for the question. For example, in the windjammer I asked if the fries were gluten free. The gentlemen working went and found the chef, who came out to talk to me. Let me highlight two venues: the windjammer buffet, and the MDR. In the windjammer, there is a dedicated gluten free island with a plethora of options; they also made gluten free pancakes there on request. Again, ask, ask ask. In the MDR, let them know up front, and they will work with you the night before on each of the next days menus. They also had gluten free bread waiting when we sat down every night. As for Giovanni's, they were similarly supportive. Our waiter painstakingly pointed out gluten free options for each course, overall, the ship is very prepared. My daughter was very pleased with the options. As I'm sure you know, being gluten free is never easy, but it was much less of a chore on the oasis. They are happy to work with you, Finally, I am copying a link to a thread on the topic I started before our trip in this subject, there is some helpful info there, happy travels.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2501485

I have read, re-read and forwarded to DIL your wonderful comprehensive review of Oasis. We will be a party of 12 the week of Thanksgiving celebrating my husband 70th bday which will fall on Thanksgiving day. We are treating our family which is a real stretch, so i was thrilled to read a family can have a great time without buying tons of extras. We were planning to pay for rooms and gratuities only, but will spring for soda packages for our 6 grandkids per your advise. my husband and i are frequent cruisers on Celebrity and usually avoid holiday cruises, but the timing of this one is too sentimental to resist. We all live in FL so that helps a lot in transportation. So, we will expect more crowds and try not to let it affect us. I LOVED your comment that it's hard for anything to actually live up to our expectations and THIS cruise did for you. So many comments on the boards are negative and it's so encouraging to read your positive review. Thanks for taking time to do that.

I have read, re-read and forwarded to DIL your wonderful comprehensive review of Oasis. We will be a party of 12 the week of Thanksgiving celebrating my husband 70th bday which will fall on Thanksgiving day. We are treating our family which is a real stretch, so i was thrilled to read a family can have a great time without buying tons of extras. We were planning to pay for rooms and gratuities only, but will spring for soda packages for our 6 grandkids per your advise. my husband and i are frequent cruisers on Celebrity and usually avoid holiday cruises, but the timing of this one is too sentimental to resist. We all live in FL so that helps a lot in transportation. So, we will expect more crowds and try not to let it affect us. I LOVED your comment that it's hard for anything to actually live up to our expectations and THIS cruise did for you. So many comments on the boards are negative and it's so encouraging to read your positive review. Thanks for taking time to do that.

Thank you for taking the time to share such kind words. I did this hoping it would help some future cruisers. Your thoughts make the time well worth it. We found that perspective helped us enjoy things better. Know going in that there are times you are going to encounter many people. Add to that the fact that every step along the way was managed with great efficiency, When you get to the port, for example, there are masses of hot, sweaty, and anxious travelers. Remind yourself that in no time at all you will be on this ship enjoying all she has to offer. It made the wait much easier. I hope,you enjoy your trip as much as we did ours.

• 1 year later...

I just booked these rooms on the Harmony and was wondering if you had any noise from the elevators or foot traffic from being so close to the elevators? I’m hoping this location will make getting around the ship easier than the last time we sailed her and stayed pretty far forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We heard little to no outside noise from elevators, stairs, hallway, or Central Park. Also, the location was great for accessing various locations on the ship. I would definitely book them again. I hope,you enjoy them as much as we did.

I know it’s dated now, but just came across this and very much appreciate your thorough review! We sail New Years week with a soon to be 14 year old daughter who’s our picky eater, and son who will turn 18 just prior. Hoping she’ll enjoy the teen activities and hopefully he can find someplace to settle in as well, since at 18 even though still in high school RC won’t let him hang with the 17 year old crew.