Oosterdam, Thanksgiving week

SeaGypsy1

:) Rev Neal,

Not to worry, we just returned from the Oosterdam, Thanksgiving Cruise, a family of eight. We did this cruise last year as well. Well I must tell you, Captain Jonathan Mercer, Hotel Manager, Henk Mensink, and Maitre D' Hotel, Thomas Grindlay, created the finest cruise experience we have ever had. Have been on many "Dam Ships" and just recently returned from a Crystal Cruise. Yes, it was at least as good as Crystal. We were concerned about this one because we have a 20-day booked on the Volemdam in April. We thought we might have to cancel and go with another line. Not so, we are very excitied about the Volemdam trip. What a perfectly wonderful time they provided for all and I will say more about this later in a revue. Captain Mercer is so warm, approachable and friendly, the rest of the staff reflect this. Henk is a rising star, watch for him. He is much like our beloved James Deering. Henk will be on the new Noordam in February. Thomas Grindlay is there every night to welcome you into the dining room. You will be in very good hands with him. They are going to knock your socks off in January!

The Munteans

Mr. Mensink is hardly new to HAL. He has been a HM with the company for years. His wife, Crystal, is (or used to be) one of the concierges in the Neptune Lounge.

Christel Mensink is now the Guest Relations Manager on the Oosterdam:)

Henk is great, I spent a great deal of time talking with him while on our last cruise. I hate it that both him and Captain Mercer will not be on board when we go back on the Oosterdam Feb.4th

Tejia and Pat, I am so glad that you and your family had a great week. I can't wait for your review. We have less than 10 weeks till we return. As you can tell you returned to cold weather here in Las Vegas and tomorrow morning is suppose to be down to the mid 20's:eek: I bet you had nice warm weather last week.

Welcome Home:)

Hi Lisa,

You are right, Crystal is Guest Relation Manager on the Oosterdam. I guess I should have been more precise, Henk was new to us, we have sailed on many "Dam" ships and this was our first time with him. However, won't be our last. He is a professional. Living in Las Vegas, we recognize a leader in Hotel management.

Thanks for the welcome home. Yes, it is cold. It was nice and warm in Mexico. O my gosh, 20's, yikes:eek: We had a great time on the Oosterdam. Wouldn't mind joining you in February:) We will see what we can do. Going on the Volendam in April for 20 days to Panama.

by the way, a belated Happy Birthday to you.

Thank you so much for this excellent report! :)

Yes, I'm looking forward to my January Cruise on the Oosterdam, followed by the Maiden Voyage of the Noordam!!! :D

I've got an EXCEEDINGLY BUSY December in front of me, so I'll be HAPPY to get away for a week in January, once all the hard stuff is over. :)

Thanks for the report!

Not to worry, we just returned from the Oosterdam, Thanksgiving Cruise, a family of eight.

Hi, glad you had a great time. My DW and I were on the Oosterdam the week before Thanksgiving and we had heard that there were to be over 400 kids the week of Thanksgiving. Were there that many? How was it with all those kids? I don't think there were more than a dozen on our trip. I sort of enjoyed (selfishly) the "no kid" environment, since I left mine home with Grandma!

Just curious as to how the staff handled so many kids and how the meals were altered to accomodate them. Welcome back!

Don

:) .....Well I must tell you, Captain Jonathan Mercer, Hotel Manager, Henk Mensink, and Maitre D' Hotel, Thomas Grindlay, created the finest cruise experience we have ever had. ....Captain Mercer is so warm, approachable and friendly, the rest of the staff reflect this. ..... Thomas Grindlay is there every night to welcome you into the dining room. You will be in very good hands with him. They are going to knock your socks off in January!

I am soooo happy that Thomas Grindlay's name has surfaced again and that we now know where he is. He was our Maitre D' on the Rotterdam in 2003 and was the absolute best! I have asked about him a number of times on this board and no one has ever responded that they knew him. Hopefully we can keep track of him now. :D

East Bay Don

Hi, glad you had a great time. My DW and I were on the Oosterdam the week before Thanksgiving and we had heard that there were to be over 400 kids the week of Thanksgiving. Were there that many? How was it with all those kids? I don't think there were more than a dozen on our trip. I sort of enjoyed (selfishly) the "no kid" environment, since I left mine home with Grandma!

Just curious as to how the staff handled so many kids and how the meals were altered to accomodate them. Welcome back!

Don

Thank you for the welcome back. We had a great time.

Yes, indeed there were that many kids on board. They were taken care of beautifully. A lot of events and all were well attended. Ship building, trivia, scavenger hunts, Club Hal, pool side games, towel animals etc. Restaurant staff were very gracious with the children, taking time to show magic tricks, talking with them and they even had a special children menu with their favorites, mac & cheese, chicken tenders. Consider taking them with you the next time, you will have fun watching how much fun they have.

Peaches from Georgia

Yes, this is our second cruise with Thomas Grindlay, He is truly the best. Being from Las Vegas, we know a great Maitre D' when we see one and he is at the top. He does everything he can to please a guest. We will look to follow him. Even with over 2200 people on board, he kept everyone happy in the dining room. I did not hear any grumbling. Last year on the Ryndam for Thanksgiving, our family was split up, two different tables. We did not like that. He did his best to accommodate everyone and there were a lot of big families on board they all looked like they were having a great time.

• 3 weeks later...

Don

Thank you for the welcome back. We had a great time.

Yes, indeed there were that many kids on board. They were taken care of beautifully. A lot of events and all were well attended. Ship building, trivia, scavenger hunts, Club Hal, pool side games, towel animals etc. Restaurant staff were very gracious with the children, taking time to show magic tricks, talking with them and they even had a special children menu with their favorites, mac & cheese, chicken tenders. Consider taking them with you the next time, you will have fun watching how much fun they have.

Sorry this is a little late, but sounds like the staff was really prepared for all those kids. Why does that not surprise me? We were so please with HAL staff that I just figured they'd have programs and food ready for all those kids. Good for them.

Can't wait to return myself, but I still think I'll leave my kids at home and go during the school year :) Is that selfish or what? My kids sure think so!

/d

Welcome home.

We loved the Oosterdam when we sailed on her in 2004.

You will love the Volendam. We sailed on her for 20 just last March. She is coming out of dry dock today. She had the new Explorations Cafe and new spa/gym area added.

Thanks, KK. I am so excitied, a little more than 3 months away. We will be on for 21 glorious days.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Archived