The virtues of formal nights & why we like them

keithm

Princess has a standard policy for formal nights. It is posted on their website and it has always been followed on the cruises I have taken with them. We are platinum, so have sailed with them many times.

1-4 night cruises- 0 formal nights, 5-6 night cruises- 1 formal night, 7-13 night cruises- 2 formal nights. I would prefer resort casual, but will wear formal attire unless the dress code changes. The same way I wear "back tie"when it is preferred for a wedding. It is respectful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Princess has a standard policy for formal nights. It is posted on their website and it has always been followed on the cruises I have taken with them. We are platinum, so have sailed with them many times.

1-4 night cruises- 0 formal nights, 5-6 night cruises- 1 formal night, 7-13 night cruises- 2 formal nights. I would prefer resort casual, but will wear formal attire unless the dress code changes. The same way I wear "back tie"when it is preferred for a wedding. It is respectful.

You just stated above that your husband wears a sports coat, that doesn't comply with the formal code. So much for respectful.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

The Princess ships I sailed in this same time period also did not have formal nights.

I have sailed with Princess since 1996 on all of the ships they have and had except the Saphire - they have all had formal nights. What time period are you talking about?

I clearly stated the time period in the post that you redacted.

My statement refers to actual "formal nights", not the published watered down formal nights. In othe words, if they had actual formal nights, you would not see the variety of attire that we all read about on this board.

You just stated above that your husband wears a sports coat, that doesn't comply with the formal code. So much for respectful.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

Everyone knows that's only the published suggestions & lots of people do choose other styles of dress which are more casual and totally acceptable on formal nights.

First time I've heard about that. :cool:

Unfortunately Princess doesn't even try to serve the same thing on formal nights.

Didn't HAL give up on formal nights last year?

HAL does "Gala Nights". "Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dressto impress for special events on board, including a five-coursegourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collaredshirt and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants . Forladies, dressy attire is appropriate, dresses skirts and slacks are allacceptable."

HAL's buffet pretty closely follows the MDR menu. Some differences but they did have the featured entree on the buffet both Gala Nights. You can also order room service (no charge) from the MDR menu.

I clearly stated the time period in the post that you redacted.

My statement refers to actual "formal nights", not the published watered down formal nights. In othe words, if they had actual formal nights, you would not see the variety of attire that we all read about on this board.

It is a few die hards who are fussy about what other passengers are wearing. The cruise lines have not had actual formal nights for years.

It is a few die hards who are fussy about what other passengers are wearing. The cruise lines have not had actual formal nights for years.

Do you mean that when they publish the "PATTERS" and state formal they are not telling the truth? Or do you and the other naysayer get a special edition of the Patter?

Not fussy. Just don't like the dumbing down to the Carnival, NCL level. Why should the lowest common denominator be acceptable? Why should we give participation trophies? Nobody's asking for all formal nights. Just asking that DINING ROOMS on formal nights meet some standard.

Everyone knows that's only the published suggestions & lots of people do choose other styles of dress which are more casual and totally acceptable on formal nights.

I'm not debating that but let's not call others disrespectful when you chose to not follow it either.

Not fussy. Just don't like the dumbing down to the Carnival, NCL level. Why should the lowest common denominator be acceptable? Why should we give participation trophies? Nobody's asking for all formal nights. Just asking that DINING ROOMS on formal nights meet some standard.

I can't take someone seriously talking about lowest common denominator who wears red straight ties and polka dot bow ties with their tux and thinks they are meeting some formal standard.

I can't take someone seriously talking about lowest common denominator who wears red straight ties and polka dot bow ties with their tux and thinks they are meeting some formal standard.

My wife takes me seriously. You---- who cares.

Oh the irony. That is exactly my point. Who cares.

Actually the red tie goes with my white dinner jacket. And as I said, tell Pierre Cardin a black and white polka dot tie is not formal with a black tux.

HAL does "Gala Nights". "Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dressto impress for special events on board, including a five-coursegourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collaredshirt and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants . Forladies, dressy attire is appropriate, dresses skirts and slacks are allacceptable."

That sounds nice. Dressed up if you like and it still provides leeway for those that like casual.

Do you mean that when they publish the "PATTERS" and state formal they are not telling the truth? Or do you and the other naysayer get a special edition of the Patter?

Since the majority of people do dress up on Princess (even though it's not really formal) Princess only provides what the MAJORITY would like to see.

No arguing with that. What some fail to accept is that on their website it gives written leeway for those that don't care to participate. It's very close to HAL and Celebrity from what I read, except that Princess seems to keep it a little more obscure.

It is there, whether people accept it or not.

Only a small minority seem to know that formal isn't mandatory, but the numbers are growing everyday.

Actually the red tie goes with my white dinner jacket. And as I said, tell Pierre Cardin a black and white polka dot tie is not formal with a black tux.

Dropping Pierre Cardin's name is meaningless. You are a formal dress wannabe. A polka dot bow tie with a tux and you talk about the level of Carnival.

Dropping Pierre Cardin's name is meaningless. You are a formal dress wannabe. A polka dot bow tie with a tux and you talk about the level of Carnival.

Wow. Talk about someone who dislikes the formal idea but is all knowing about it. The world of black tie has changed. It's not just your grandfather's way.

Wow. Talk about someone who dislikes the formal idea but is all knowing about it. The world of black tie has changed. It's not just your grandfather's way.

I like formal dress and the idea of it for real life formal events. I own a couple of tuxedos and proper accessories. Possibly some never have much occasion to get invited to those so they get very insistent about dressing formal on cruise ships.

The answer to your queston would be the cruise lines want to retain market share, and they reach that goal by givIng the majority of their guests the

right to have an enjoyable experience.

That means you can dress as fancy or as plain as you choose within reason.

Not fussy. Just don't like the dumbing down to the Carnival, NCL level. Why should the lowest common denominator be acceptable? Why should we give participation trophies? Nobody's asking for all formal nights. Just asking that DINING ROOMS on formal nights meet some standard. "Quote"

I believe it is appropriate to reveal that both Carnival and NCL require slacks and shirts with collars for men on at least one of their MDRs. That is the SAME requirement that Princess applies.

That should please those who want certain standards applied on Princess, and it negates the "dumbing down" problem.

As I stated previously, we need to accept the fact that all cruiset lines are struggling to retain market share, and if they don't do that, they will be absorbed by the cruise lines that do.

Ok, everyone. Let's all remember I posted this thread for those of US who like the formal nights & dressing up in general. I don't want it turning into a nasty thread about disrespecting each other & such. I HAVE asked the lovers of casual dress to start their own thread on the subject. I still want them to do so. I also don't want those of us who like dressing telling those who don't, to eat in the buffet & demand strict adherence to the dress codes etc. If it starts to get nasty I will have the mods begin removing violator posts on both sides of the subject! I want us talking about why we enjoy dressing up & not coming down on those who don't.

That being said: to the casual set: I strongly ask that you to start your own thread about what you like about casual cruising & less "trolling" my thread instigating arguments. Thank you!

Edited by keithm
CORRECTIONS

Not fussy. Just don't like the dumbing down to the Carnival, NCL level. Why should the lowest common denominator be acceptable? Why should we give participation trophies? Nobody's asking for all formal nights. Just asking that DINING ROOMS on formal nights meet some standard. "Quote"

I believe it is appropriate to reveal that both Carnival and NCL require slacks and shirts with collars for men on at least one of their MDRs. That is the SAME requirement that Princess applies.

That should please those who want certain standards applied on Princess, and it negates the "dumbing down" problem.

As I stated previously, we need to accept the fact that all cruiset lines are struggling to retain market share, and if they don't do that, they will be absorbed by the cruise lines that do.

Who is going to absorb Carnival Corporation? That's like saying who is taking over Walmart.

As much as I like wearing a gown on formal night, I have to admit I'm one of the first to head back to my cabin after dinner to change. Two hours is enough. I, personally, would not go to the MDR on formal night in smart casual clothing, even if Princess allows it. I'd feel uncomfortable and under dressed. Others can do what they want, but I really wish Princess would enforce more formal dress on formal nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Who is going to absorb Carnival Corporation? That's like saying who is taking over Walmart.

Carnival has absorbed many of the cruise lines that tried to maintain the restrictions and costly practices of the past, so they are in the best financial position of the three big mainstream lines.

Check the history of Carvival and you can see that they have absorbed several cruise lines that didn't manage their finances properly.

Hanging onto the past is important to some people, but if a company discourages the present trend of casual vacations, they will surely lose money and will be absorbed or will fail.

Enjoy your fancy attire, but don't expect the cruise lines to discourage those who desire a casual cruise.