Taking food off cruise ship in Alaska

CHSGrl

& mine had an awesome appetizer cracker/smoked salmon/pickled kelp as part of the fare.

Beware of reviews of food - tastes is differ. Some are happy with a PB&J while others can find anything to complain about.

Forgot about the pickled kelp - fun to try! Very comfortable seats too, I thought. Really enjoyed that excursion - the bonus was stopping to watch some whales feeding near shore.

A sniffer dog, or detection dog is typically trained to sniff out things like hidden drugs and other contraband by first learning how to sniff out its favorite toy, laced with the substance the dog will eventually make a living out of looking for. The toy used depends on the dog being trained.

Now, how "I" am supposed to know if the dog is sniffing for product or narcotics or explosives - I don't. (Well, the pile of bananas kind of gave it away at the port of Baltimore.) The one on the Amtrak - no idea.

I watched a dog being trained in Port Everglades. We were on our balcony waiting to disembark and watching the next cruise's food being loaded when I noticed a man playing with a dog. Strange place to play with a dog, but then I realized the dog was working. The man would hide a toy, then release the dog and watch the dog find the toy.

That's what I figured. And then I got a picture of a border collie, ALERTING ALERTING ALERTING, like they were ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY CONVINCED that they REALLY needed to get the handler's attention. RIGHT NOW, NO MISTAKE, LOOK AT ME (they are pretty high energy dogs :) ) :D

edited to add: I'm doing a very bad job of describing the mental images that I got. I guess you will just have to trust me that I was laughing at them ....

Actually, you did a good job. But then, I know what a border collie is like.

There were sniffer dogs at all of our ports in Australia. I remember in one port, we were told to set our bags/purses/whatever on the floor and take one step back. The handler released the dog and said "Find it, mate." The dog sniffed its way down the line and then went back to the handler. As long as the dog didn't sit down in front of someone, everything was OK.

Bomb dogs can't be high strung; they alert by sitting or laying down next to the object they located;no barking; just great dogs to observe while they're working and/or working alongside!

I salute those oficers who train and work with and love their dog parrtners....... them. !!! I melts me to mush when I SEE A WORKING DOG sOLIDER RETURNED TO HIS PARTNEr as they both have left the war zone. May they live togehter safely and happily. They have more than earned it.

I'm not sure it's a no-no for every country though, it as never mentioned for Norway last week.

Actually, HAL mentioned that in their disembarkation form (at the bottom) although they did not mention for our stops in Norway. However, that statement seemed to be such a general one (not specific to the Netherlands or Norway) we doubt it was specific to your/our cruise which terminated in Amsterdam. They probably used that same form for any country anywhere around the world. We thought it was put there just to discourage anyone from taking a sandwich from the ship for their onward journey or while waiting for a flight at Amsterdam airport. It was not put there for the benefit of the passenger, otherwise, they would have a special form specifically for us when we disembarked in the Netherlands . And even more so, they should have informed passengers when we got off the ship at various stops in Norway. Which we doubt that they did.

As you probably might have observed at Amsterdam Passenger Terminal, the authorities were very easy about that. We were out of the ship, got our luggage and onto the bus in a matter of minutes!!!! It was much easier to GET OFF the ship than GETTING ON (Getting on , on the first day, was "not the best experience", as you might remember). As the cruise came from Norway, which is part of the Euro-Economic Area, and all food from Norway is imported tariff-free into any European Union country like the Netherlands, so it was not a surprise that the Dutch authorities were easy about that. We would question whether HAL's advise in that disembarkation form was correct for that cruise.

Edited by Gnoelj