Taking food off cruise ship in Alaska

CHSGrl

Thanks for all the info. We are going on an all day (10 hour) boat excursion to Tracy Arm. We will not have any time to get food on shore as we are already cutting it close time wise. While the excursion receives great reviews, the sandwiches you can purchase on board not so much.

Doesn't that tour include lunch? My 7 hour tour with Allen Marine did, a couple of years ago. I think it was a pretty good sandwich, IIRC. A 10 hour excursion should include a meal, one would think.

I hope it works out for you.

Alaska has food...you will find someplace to buy something!

Hi

Yes. I remember even being able to buy a pizza at one stop. Just like the rest of the United States. :D As Cooper said "awesome".

It IS a big deal --------to Mexico. They wouldn't have dogs present to sniff out agricultural contraband if it weren't important to the security of their food industry. The introduction of foreign food pests can be devastating to another country.

(bold is mine) Absolutely, which is why fruit is one of the worst things to carry ashore. You never know what kind of insect eggs or fungus spores could be on the fruit.

Doesn't that tour include lunch? My 7 hour tour with Allen Marine did, a couple of years ago. I think it was a pretty good sandwich, IIRC. A 10 hour excursion should include a meal, one would think.

I hope it works out for you.

The Allen Marine excursion through HAL did include a really good box lunch two weeks ago.

The three times we have docked in Huatulco the dogs have been on the pier sniffing the bags.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

Backed up by mean looking Mexican marines and policia with big guns. Do not smuggle contraband on and off the ship if you don't want to left behind as a house guest of Mexican government.

Backed up by mean looking Mexican marines and policia with big guns. Do not smuggle contraband on and off the ship if you don't want to left behind as a house guest of Mexican government.

We have brought lobster rolls on the ship for friends, smoked meat sandwiches and no need to smuggle. We cafried them in bags with resttaurant name visible and told them onthe gangway what was in the bags. Aside from offers to buy it from us, no issue. :)

We have brought lobster rolls on the ship for friends, smoked meat sandwiches and no need to smuggle. We cafried them in bags with resttaurant name visible and told them onthe gangway what was in the bags. Aside from offers to buy it from us, no issue. :)

There is no problem with bringing food on the ship. This thread is about taking food off the ship, which is not allowed.

The Allen Marine excursion through HAL did include a really good box lunch two weeks ago.

& mine had an awesome appetizer cracker/smoked salmon/pickled kelp as part of the fare.

Beware of reviews of food - tastes is differ. Some are happy with a PB&J while others can find anything to complain about.

Thanks, they must be expanding their program. The Mexicans also deploy narcotics and explosives detection K-9s on the various piers/docks at times. Seen them at Cabo, Costa Maya and Hualtulcoo

There were food sniffing dogs at Loreto, each time we've been.

Are you sure sfaaa was referring to taking food back ONTO the ship with the reference to "contraband"?

Thanks, they must be expanding their program. The Mexicans also deploy narcotics and explosives detection K-9s on the various piers/docks at times. Seen them at Cabo, Costa Maya and Hualtulcoo

How are you able to tell what their trained ""target" is? ( or should I not ask? I don't mean to put your on the spot).

Are you sure sfaaa was referring to taking food back ONTO the ship with the reference to "contraband"?

I am no more sure than anyone what sfaa means than evwryhone here is. . All I and most everyone here knows is what the written words say. Are you sure what sfaa means?

How are you able to tell what their trained ""target" is? ( or should I not ask? I don't mean to put your on the spot).

A sniffer dog, or detection dog is typically trained to sniff out things like hidden drugs and other contraband by first learning how to sniff out its favorite toy, laced with the substance the dog will eventually make a living out of looking for. The toy used depends on the dog being trained.

Now, how "I" am supposed to know if the dog is sniffing for product or narcotics or explosives - I don't. (Well, the pile of bananas kind of gave it away at the port of Baltimore.) The one on the Amtrak - no idea.

Depends on the dog and what he/she is trained to detect. In addition, they (the dogs) "alert" differently when they have a "find" based on what they're trained for. You don't want an explosives-detection K-9 to go "crazy" (like a dope dog does) when he/she is successful. All detection dogs, be they Patrol, Narco, Bombs, Agricultural, you name it, are awesome animals!

You don't want an explosives-detection K-9 to go "crazy" (like a dope dog does) when he/she is successful. ...

Thank you for the mental images THAT comment gave me :) They will probably morph into nightmares, but gave me a good chuckle in the moment. :D

Thank you for the mental images THAT comment gave me :) They will probably morph into nightmares, but gave me a good chuckle in the moment. :D

Bomb dogs can't be high strung; they alert by sitting or laying down next to the object they located;no barking; just great dogs to observe while they're working and/or working alongside!

Bomb dogs can't be high strung; they alert by sitting or laying down next to the object they located;no barking; just great dogs to observe while they're working and/or working alongside!

That's what I figured. And then I got a picture of a border collie, ALERTING ALERTING ALERTING, like they were ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY CONVINCED that they REALLY needed to get the handler's attention. RIGHT NOW, NO MISTAKE, LOOK AT ME (they are pretty high energy dogs :) ) :D

edited to add: I'm doing a very bad job of describing the mental images that I got. I guess you will just have to trust me that I was laughing at them ....

It IS a big deal --------to Mexico. They wouldn't have dogs present to sniff out agricultural contraband if it weren't important to the security of their food industry. The introduction of foreign food pests can be devastating to another country.

Thank you.. I was thinking the exact same thing! It is a BIG DEAL & should never be done!:(

I've seen people detained by the Authorities, when they have removed unpackaged food such as apples, oranges or bananas from a ship or airliner!:(

Totally agree - nice lunch (small but very good sandwich, container of cold pasta, cookie, chips.) I actually took a photo of it but don't know how to post it here. They also had free coffee/tea/hot chocolate and doughnut holes at the back of the boat all day, and served/passed some salmon for tasting along the way. Great excursion!