Eclipse British Isles and French Open June 2017 review (long with photos)

texasgirl29

I love seeing the photo of the multicolored triangular candy. They're not chocolates, they're cuberdons, a Belgian candy that originated in Ghent, where we used to live. They're delicious, if you like weird, nose-shaped candy -- like the inside of a jelly bean.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I love seeing the photo of the multicolored triangular candy. They're not chocolates, they're cuberdons, a Belgian candy that originated in Ghent, where we used to live. They're delicious, if you like weird, nose-shaped candy -- like the inside of a jelly bean.

Thanks, Bess! They were certainly eye-catching.

So enjoying your review. Brugge is one of our favorite cities, loved your photos. Can you tell me who you rented the flat in London from? Thanks. Looking forward to the rest of your review.

Vicky

So enjoying your review. Brugge is one of our favorite cities, loved your photos. Can you tell me who you rented the flat in London from? Thanks. Looking forward to the rest of your review.

Vicky

Here's the link to the flat on TripAdvisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g186338-d9819685-Luxury_2_Bedroom_apartment_in_Westminster-London_England.html

Thursday, June 8

Amsterdam

We had an overnight stay in Amsterdam. First of all, I love that the cruise terminal is right there in the city center, close to the transportation hub. There is free wifi in the terminal, also.

e8fb30d3a3a7a548b4eacb6fc741d1d2.jpg

23ae2306542222166de23325735fbcb6.jpg

9196a3881ed418a106f2aebecca4a857.jpg

We took the obligatory wooden shoe photos.

87628af115d6665f11703fc5c689df55.jpg

We were extremely lucky that we had a local to tour us around for two days. My inlaws had met Marnix and his wife Maryanne on a Disney cruise previously and they offered to show us around. Marnix met us at the terminal with a rented van and we headed for Zaanse Schans to see the windmills.

1d00f4cc3a76842b3aaf6d31830c33be.jpg

88dc02f700c52c43c491dc0cefeb2c73.jpg

Great review. I'm surprised more cruisers don't use airbnb/vrbo type places more.

One correction, the Titanic last stop was in Cobh (then called Queenstown) before heading to sea. I only know that because we are cruising on the British Isles/Open Championship Silhouette cruise in 10 days and have been researching our ports.

We did overnight in Amsterdam last year in MSC. Really liked having the extra time in port. Our upcoming cruise has 2 overnight stops. I hope they continue that trend.

Thanks again for great review!

Great review. I'm surprised more cruisers don't use airbnb/vrbo type places more.

One correction, the Titanic last stop was in Cobh (then called Queenstown) before heading to sea.

Thanks for the correction! We went to Cobh also, more on that later.

It was our first time to rent an apartment. It certainly gave us more room to spread out. The owner was very responsive to some issues with the shower heads and replaced the electric kettle when we mentioned it was icky. He even left beer in the fridge, presumably from the last renter, as well as some Ben & Jerry's in the freezer.

When you're traveling with extended family, it certainly makes sense.

JoAnn

I had told Marnix my bucket list items for Amsterdam were windmills, a canal ride and the Ann Frank house. Typical tourist stuff, I know, but hey, I'm a tourist.

Zaanse Schans has lots of windmills, just take your pick! Our entrance fee allowed us to go inside one windmill of our choice, any additional was a small fee. We chose the spice windmill.

51fe16c488b5fc1d20ef970c29e0346a.jpg

bd802069777c4a30810848c61aacf4cc.jpg

6198be2fef80d2063e3d686d7375e7ff.jpg

9e9fcca3b153c56a5afc7e5fa333dc31.jpg

And the view from the deck below the arms of the windmill

6fe753af0bd2837d52b6d2a887372306.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. My DD and I spent 5 nights on the Eclipse and loved it.

We lived in France for a year back in the 80's and traveled around to several different countries, your pic are making me want to make a trip back to Europe.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. My DD and I spent 5 nights on the Eclipse and loved it.

We lived in France for a year back in the 80's and traveled around to several different countries, your pic are making me want to make a trip back to Europe.

Thanks for your kind words. This was our second cruise on the Eclipse. Such a beautiful ship.

Hello again,

You have some "magazine worthy" photos !! Keep up the great review and pics ! Thoroughly enjoying !

Thanks

BBL

Well, aren't you sweet! All of the photos were taken with my iPhone. It's amazing what phone cameras can do these days.

After all the ooohing and aaaaahing at the quaint village of windmills and cottages, it was time to move on to lunch at Vollendam.

76aab5b0ebb1fa7704f61e031e396b0c.jpg

42292f065a3f4bee46ed1d335de7119d.jpg

69b61b93f1b3f5d3ee74331e5dd457e4.jpg

e38908b94a62a4b3fa12b9c9b5dbc2e1.jpg

Lots of souvenir stores, waffle shops, ice cream and a cheese shop.

My husband and father in law, along with Marnix, swallowed raw herring but there are no photos from me, as I'm pretty queasy when it comes to stuff like that.

Back in the van, Marnix drove us to the public library which was close to the transportation center in the city. He told us to go up to the top floor and wait on the balcony that overlooks the city while returned the van. Great view but if you need to go to the restroom (as we Texans call it), you'll need some change.

Next, time for my second bucket list item, the canal ride! I don't have any photos from the ride as I was too far away from the window but I did enjoy it. A leisurely way to catch our breath and rest our feet after a long day of site seeing.

2c8a7bbf0ef7998f8e22ec8942d90c1f.jpg

We walked to dinner at the Pancake Bakery, a favorite of Marnix and his wife Marianne who had joined us. I loved the walk through the streets and over the bridges.

Did I mention the bicycles? So many bicycles everywhere! How do they remember where they left it?

b877913a0ed6f3232a0a0b4384aeb3c9.jpg

444c5d51b506e6d85a6f3a5d92dd09e1.jpg

b98c03fe95704197914a5744a6cc0da9.jpg

ea6e827657b4b650a8c54786ceffd122.jpg

5db118e4ec2ac9711da646767ace4f17.jpg

The Pancake Bakery was fun, and packed with people. This is not IHOP! Pancakes were thin, like crepes. The meat or vegetables were cooked into the batter. They could be savory or sweet. On the table was a big container of a substance that looked like molasses to put on your Pancake. I had the lemon and sugar. So good.

After dinner Paul, Rachel and I walked back while Marnix and Marianne took the others back on the light rail (or tram or whatever you want to call it). We sat a while in the terminal to use their wifi, even FaceTimed with my daughter back home (good thing she's a night owl).