Eclipse British Isles and French Open June 2017 review (long with photos)

texasgirl29

Hi texasgirl

I've loved reading your review, particularly seeing many London sights through the eyes of a visitor - especially the pictures

The whimsical creatures you feature in post #15 are the "Kyng's Beestes" of King Henry viii. These are heraldic emblems or "supporters" which may be seen on the coats of arms of various kings. If you're interested, this site

http://patrickbaty.co.uk/2009/09/03/a-tudor-garden/

will give you a little more information or indeed you could try your favourite search engine!

Thanks again

WT

Hi texasgirl

I've loved reading your review, particularly seeing many London sights through the eyes of a visitor - especially the pictures

The whimsical creatures you feature in post #15 are the "Kyng's Beestes" of King Henry viii. These are heraldic emblems or "supporters" which may be seen on the coats of arms of various kings. If you're interested, this site

http://patrickbaty.co.uk/2009/09/03/a-tudor-garden/

will give you a little more information or indeed you could try your favourite search engine!

Thanks again

WT

I went to the link and it's fascinating! Thank you so much. I laugh every time I come across the photo of the panther as my daughter's school mascot was a panther and their school colors were red and blue.

Thanks again!

JoAnn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Friday, June 8

Amsterdam, Day 2

We met Marnix again at the terminal at 8:30 and took the tram to the Anne Frank house. We were early and it was raining so we sat under the awning of an outdoor cafe and had coffee.

In anticipation of the Ann Frank house, I re-read The Diary of a Young Girl as well as Miep Gies's book, Ann Frank Remembered, about the efforts to hide the Frank family and what was happening outside the Annex.

The house was very solemn. We had listening devices as we walked through the rooms. No one spoke and everyone was very respectful.

It was very crowded and in small, dark rooms. There was a group of teenagers, obviously on a school field trip, each with a set of worksheets in their hands, writing answers. They didn't speak with each other at all.

There were no photographs allowed inside. This is the outside of the house, which was actually Mr. Frank's business.

542b377e6fef920778fd456bcfbec932.jpg

In her diary Ann remarks that she likes to hear the sound of the nearby church bells.

33e46cbe47618e34f5e887c56755baea.jpg

This is the view across the canal from the Annex.

abdceda2c5930263f620e8e5b884f9e9.jpg

6124ed565d37e6a0f31c58efec9a83bd.jpg

We were on the same cruise and did Anne Franks house on our own on day one. We thought it was presented very well. The audio guides provides quietness and the level of info was just right.

Strange I had always thought she was in an attic above a house rather than in the back rooms of a commercial building (albeit she could access an attic space to see the daylight).

This was a great cruise for us. So many interesting ports and enjoying your review.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great review. Going to Amsterdam next week. We have booked tickets to Anne Franks house. How much time do you need for the audio guide tour?

Around an hour is fine to listen to the full guide at each spot.

We were on the same cruise and did Anne Franks house on our own on day one. We thought it was presented very well. The audio guides provides quietness and the level of info was just right.

Strange I had always thought she was in an attic above a house rather than in the back rooms of a commercial building (albeit she could access an attic space to see the daylight).

This was a great cruise for us. So many interesting ports and enjoying your review.

Thanks, Kevin. I agree it was a great cruise. Even after reading about the Annex and looking at the floor plans in the book, I was still surprised at how small the rooms were. And dark. No wonder tensions got so high with eight people living there.

The business was such an ordinary one: selling pectin for home canning and some other seasonings. I really found Miep's book interesting to learn of the things she and her husband were juggling -- the Franks and van Dams were nit the only people they were helping.

And yes, an hour is good -- it's a pretty compact space.

JoAnn

In the shopping area, Marnix pointed out this "automat" -- no idea what you call it in Dutch but it reminded me of old movies that were set in NYC.

a6d0ac2211d33393d2ee43183d51f651.jpg

a6b2d78a4458581a0a92f899cee11b32.jpg

He was very good about getting us to try regional food favorites.

f4ed64ad085b9bd9eddcfd43d4b1d366.jpg

We walked back to the terminal which was very crowded with a Costa cruise boarding, said our thank you's and goodbyes and sailed back down the river and through the locks to the sea.

79c2ccee033d6890d64bf5e1484aa42e.jpg

5a35982ed3378ebeb25657634f4c2e3a.jpg

We were on our way to La Havre and Paris.

Saturday, June 10

Le Havre/Paris

Today we would board a bus for Paris to stay overnight. This was the only Celebrity-sponsored excursion we would take on this cruise, Paris on Your Own.

We left about 10:30 am on a double-decker bus from the port city of Le Havre. It's a very industrial port with lots of oil storage tanks ringing the port, and a sculpture made of painted shipping containers. It's definitely not somewhere you could walk or even hail a cab.

6f27788fb99da7e820c8c6d1d1c0c13c.jpg

We arrived about 1:30, and the guide dropped us off at the Winston Churchill statue opposite the Gran Palais with instructions to be there the following day by 4:45 pm. We asked the guide to call a taxi for us to take us to the Eiffel Tower for our 2pm prepaid time slot. We managed to squeeze into a mini-SUV and the driver took us to the gate for 13.5€. We quickly got inside, through security and up the short flight of stairs when the attendant noticed Brian's difficulties with stairs and said he could not go up to the summit. He told Norene to take him to the west tower and use the elevator to come down. Also to get a refund for the difference. (Which we did.)

It was crowded. And hot.

4ea79b91f6084f79586bf76fd3e54433.jpg

4878c2e8963fcf7e164d55a3f8cfcafd.jpg

Great views from the top, of course. Did I mention hot and crowded?

3fc1e07636bf78a8cb343a89e10ae13d.jpg

abef4ca221ffd3d68407b7e493be7941.jpg

a66bff655dbbd57157132fab36e5e7cd.jpg

We had a bit of panic trying to find Norene and Brian after we got back to the ground but finally we were reunited and got a taxi to the hotel to check in.

We had reservations at Hotel Oceanic and I could not have been more pleased. It's only rated 2-star, but I wasn't concerned too much when I started to search since we would only be sleeping there. I was looking for rooms to accommodate 3 or 4 people, and found this hotel about a 20 minute walk from where we would be dropped off. The reviews were very good, and I certainly agree with them that it was a nice hotel for the price.

18916600040b8b9c5df0262b3e0300c5.jpg

679c98b04b0653b2d999be3a8954c046.jpg

de854fa5c912f03c898d6d4d5d9445bd.jpg

2f48ecccd14056dea2f11b4543e7a66a.jpg

View from our open window

ede9884fefe9c3199a9102574c87dc7a.jpg

785029fcd3aa62f9c9ba1b5ecd42db23.jpg

Never underestimate cc's...we walked from the port into Le Havre, from the same spot you took that picture.took about 1/2 hour, but we were there in September and the weather was not hot...perfect long t-shirt type temps.

Interested to read more about Paris!

Saturday, June 10

Le Havre/Paris

Today we would board a bus for Paris to stay overnight. This was the only Celebrity-sponsored excursion we would take on this cruise, Paris on Your Own.

We left about 10:30 am on a double-decker bus from the port city of Le Havre. It's a very industrial port with lots of oil storage tanks ringing the port, and a sculpture made of painted shipping containers. It's definitely not somewhere you could walk or even hail a cab./url]

We loved Le Havre. We did a Segway tour independently on day 1 which was excellent, we walked from the port. We saw the beach, the next seaside resort and the military base at the highest point before touring the city. The next day we took the bus to Honfleur which was stunning and great value. There was a shuttle bus from the ship at €4 which was amazing value if you didn't want to walk. It went to the town centre then to the new shopping mall and was valid for 24 hrs.

The next day we took the bus to Honfleur which was stunning and great value.

We loved Honfleur, especially as we there on Saturday, which is market day.245c6a286a8166f8cc3edc23dd91087e.jpg

I hired a car in Le Havre and took a taxi to the car hire office. Was very pleased to get a BMW and it was automatic (I used to hate them but my last Ford is an automatic after being nagged by the girls so I was fine with it.

Took 2 Canadian ladies with us for the trip as I planned to visit Dieppe by travelling up the coast road. They were lovely company and I think we all enjoyed the trip. We stopped at Étretat on the way and had a leg stretch on the very scenic promenade.

AT Dieppe we had a 2 hour break for a snack. Alas we had just missed the market but we had a look around the town - it was just as I remembered. Dieppe was always a favoured weekend retreat for Parisians, with its elegant promenade, outdoor pool and the sea front dominated with views of the cliffs and its chateau.

After meeting back up we drove to Dieppe outskirts and after enquiring from some helpful locals we found the Canadian cemetery. We spent some time there - our Canadian friends were due to travel to Vimy Ridge, outside of Arras next day. I felt they were very brave as it is a long way by public transport (2 trains with a change ) That was going to be a very big. long day for them. I have been to Vimy several times and it is an almost indescribable experience.

Anyway I then took the quicker route back towards Le Havre and then took the toll bridges over the Seine estuary to drive to Honfleur. I must admit I found the bridges a little intimidating to drive over - I don't like heights but I managed it. Honfleur was very busy but as I have a disabled parking badge I managed to find a disabled parking space right on the harbour side ! We had nice time for a good look round and we sat at the harbour edge and feasted on modules et frites for me..... and Jim had a delicious chocolate dessert!

We got the car back 15 mins early at 7. 45..... and then we had to try to get a taxi back to the ship...which we could see but too far for me to walk. I was a bit cheeky and asked at the café/ restaurant there did they know a telephone number for a taxi and the lovely waitress phoned for a taxi for me !! Speaking French does help! 5 minutes later a cab arrived and we were quickly back to the ship! A very successful day and excursion!

Well.... have tried and tried to upload my photos but nothing I try will work.... the site just won't have it :(

Edited by HelenREMfan

Never underestimate cc's...we walked from the port into Le Havre, from the same spot you took that picture.took about 1/2 hour, but we were there in September and the weather was not hot...perfect long t-shirt type temps.

Interested to read more about Paris!

Well, Dodger and Helen, I stand corrected! What I saw of the port I did not think you could walk out (and I'm a pretty adventurous walker). I can say I've been to Paris now, but honestly, it wasn't my favorite. We had planned to take the train into Paris (my huband, my daughter and me), but my in-laws wanted to go but not on their own, so he sweetened the deal and off we went on the bus.

JoAnn

After settling into our hotel, we looked on Yelp for someplace close by to eat. It was late afternoon and we not eaten since breakfast. The best rated place close by was just across the street -- wouldn't you know it, hamburgers!

d58247b5da8b32ccaf97b2a422ffd55c.jpg

e8331df8b4e5372c09f432515e67a3d5.jpg

Honestly, we were hot, tired and hungry -- at least the menu was in French, that counts, right?

We walked down the street, right in front of the St Lazare train station which was a block away.

dccec4add32bc59ef85a0f3b4bf14f8a.jpg

And if Amsterdam was a city of bicycles, Paris was filled with motorbikes.

6e3eb3e80380cabd6197006ee4bf7820.jpg

I wanted to see the famed "City of Light" and so Paul, David and I hiked over to the Arc de Triomphe to catch the evening HOHO bus at 9:15. This was not actually HOHO, IT it was a 2 hour loop. The sun was still pretty powerful at that time of night.

0b04bbfa05fa4303985f8daacf355320.jpg

876b97204e81c2732eb4cbfbd7b85c23.jpg

8435fdbaefd1d9914e66f127a51ed7b7.jpg

d36eba6043f89785f5d359d132c175fe.jpg

704ba78b4a0a98faaabed6dae7cdd50b.jpg

ec5fa2716bce33c56fa79947fa124d7b.jpg