First Time Cruiser... So many options!

cole1982

I am trying to decide which ship would be better for my family of five. Two adults and three kids (14,12 and 10).

New Orleans has the bigger ship Dream out of it which I like but I think Mobile would be an easier city to start and end?

Then I thought it would be fun to fly from New Orleans to port canaveral.

Between the Fantasy and Dream.... pros and cons? Better/worse? Help this girl out!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am trying to decide which ship would be better for my family of five. Two adults and three kids (14,12 and 10).

New Orleans has the bigger ship Dream out of it which I like but I think Mobile would be an easier city to start and end?

Then I thought it would be fun to fly from New Orleans to port canaveral.

Between the Fantasy and Dream.... pros and cons? Better/worse? Help this girl out!

Dream, hands down. It's a larger and newer ship.

The Fantasy is the oldest and smallest ship in the Carnival fleet.

Dream was built in 2009 and is 130,000 GT compared to the Fantasy that was built in 1990 and is 70,000 GT. You can fit almost 2 Fantasy ships on the Dream.

Dream, hands down. It's a larger and newer ship.

The Fantasy is the oldest and smallest ship in the Carnival fleet.

Dream was built in 2009 and is 130,000 GT compared to the Fantasy that was built in 1990 and is 70,000 GT. You can fit almost 2 Fantasy ships on the Dream.

Thanks! I was thinking that but wasn't sure if I wanted to go out of NOLA. It's so congested there. Hoping for smooth first time!

Thanks! I was thinking that but wasn't sure if I wanted to go out of NOLA. It's so congested there. Hoping for smooth first time!

Just remember, you're only going to be in the terminal a short period of time, where you're going to be on the ship for X amount of days. Don't let the terminal be your deciding factor.

Just remember, you're only going to be in the terminal a short period of time, where you're going to be on the ship for X amount of days. Don't let the terminal be your deciding factor.

Hmm very good point!

If you have kids My vote is for the Fantasy. I have a 10 year old and been on the dream once and Fantasy twice and will sail on the Fantasy again in September. The dream is bigger and seems way more crowded. The waterpark is in the middle of the ship and there is no where to sit and watch your kids. The Fantasy waterslides are in the back of the ship and have tons of loungers and never a problem finding a spot to sit back and watch the kids. Don't worry about it being older, it's in great condition. I like both of the ships but with younger kids we really enjoyed the Fantasy more. I did a review of our last dream cruise and our Fantasy cruise. You can probably click on my name and find them if you want to read them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have kids of similar age and I would DEFINITELY say the Dream. We sailed it last fall and the kids had a blast. The water park area is awesome and it didn't feel crowded (at least when we cruised) at any time. I plan on taking my kids on one of the fantasy ships at some time, but only when the ports become the focus, not the ship itself.

My kids' first cruise was on the Magic, which is a sister ship to the Dream. It was an awesome first cruise for them and they still talk about it.

When you say "fly from New Orleans to Port Canaveral", does that mean you are coming from PC?

If you have kids My vote is for the Fantasy. I have a 10 year old and been on the dream once and Fantasy twice and will sail on the Fantasy again in September. The dream is bigger and seems way more crowded. The waterpark is in the middle of the ship and there is no where to sit and watch your kids. The Fantasy waterslides are in the back of the ship and have tons of loungers and never a problem finding a spot to sit back and watch the kids. Don't worry about it being older, it's in great condition. I like both of the ships but with younger kids we really enjoyed the Fantasy more. I did a review of our last dream cruise and our Fantasy cruise. You can probably click on my name and find them if you want to read them.

Thanks! I will check out those reviews!

I have kids of similar age and I would DEFINITELY say the Dream. We sailed it last fall and the kids had a blast. The water park area is awesome and it didn't feel crowded (at least when we cruised) at any time. I plan on taking my kids on one of the fantasy ships at some time, but only when the ports become the focus, not the ship itself.

My kids' first cruise was on the Magic, which is a sister ship to the Dream. It was an awesome first cruise for them and they still talk about it.

When you say "fly from New Orleans to Port Canaveral", does that mean you are coming from PC?

Well no. I was thinking it would be neat to catch a cruise out of PC since the flights from NOLA are so cheap. Wasn't sure if the ships from PC were better?

Well no. I was thinking it would be neat to catch a cruise out of PC since the flights from NOLA are so cheap. Wasn't sure if the ships from PC were better?

Depending on when you're thinking of cruising, PC has the Magic right now. Next fall it will be getting the Breeze and the Magic is moving to Miami. They are all "sister ships" with a couple differences between them. For a first cruise though, u could save the flight money and try out the Dream. If you love it, then u can always fly to PC for a future cruise. :)

Depending on when you're thinking of cruising, PC has the Magic right now. Next fall it will be getting the Breeze and the Magic is moving to Miami. They are all "sister ships" with a couple differences between them. For a first cruise though, u could save the flight money and try out the Dream. If you love it, then u can always fly to PC for a future cruise. :)

Good idea! Thanks!

Where are they going and is the cruise length the same? And the price?That has more to do with it to me than the ship. I may be in the minority on this but find the ships more similar than different.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If this is your first cruise, you and your kids will be blown away by the sheer size of the ship - whichever ship you choose. Fantasy from Mobile is four and five night cruises to Mexico; Dream is 7 night cruises. Dream has a ton of balcony cabins, Fantasy has none other than suites. Dream does have Deluxe OV cabins for five with a split bathroom, Fantasy has insides and OV cabins for four that can have a fifth bed crowded into it. Your choice. EM

I liked the Fantasy so there might be some pluses that are being missed on the old girl. Despite the urge to go on the latest and greatest I think a trip on the older ships can certainly be a worthwhile experience.

First, she doesn't have the American Table Menu. She has the older menu that some cruisers prefer. (this may have changed with the upgrade tho)

Second, the Fantasy Class Atriums are very impressive.

Third, the Fantasy might feel a little less crowded then the larger Dream.

Fourth, the Serenity area doesn't get as busy as the Dream since alot of ppl don't know to check at the back of the theater.

Fifth, I really like the Brits show on the Fantasy.

Sixth, The themes on the Fantasy are really cool, They have Great Britain, Egypt and Roman Times represented. There is even a club showing what household items look like to cats.

Seventh, Those chairs on the promenade are very comfortable.

Eighth, Fantasy now has a Guy's. Sure the line for it will be shorter than Dreams.

Ninth, It seemed easier to get a comedy club seat on the fantasy, and some of the best comedians I saw were on the Fantasy.

Tenth, the drill takes place in the lounges.

Thanks! I will check out those reviews!

No problem. I also have pictures posted to both reviews. My son was 9 when we went on the dream and 10 on the Fantasy. He had a great time on both. So either one you choose the kids will have a great time. He loved the kids club and stayed there a lot during the cruise. I would not fly to PC if you live near New Orleans and mobile. The dream is the same as magic except it does not have the ropes course. The port is an hour away from the airport and you have to rent a car or shuttle to port and back. Do the dream or Fantasy first then if you love it you can do another port later. I also did a review on our magic cruise but it was our anniversary and the kids didn't go. We live in MS and sail out of New Orleans and mobile mostly. My advice is start with a 5 day on Fantasy. If you become addicted like most of us on cruise critic, then do the 7 day on the dream next. Then when breeze moves to PC you can fly there. We are going back on Fantasy in September and have the breeze out of Galveston booked in December.

No problem. I also have pictures posted to both reviews. My son was 9 when we went on the dream and 10 on the Fantasy. He had a great time on both. So either one you choose the kids will have a great time. He loved the kids club and stayed there a lot during the cruise. I would not fly to PC if you live near New Orleans and mobile. The dream is the same as magic except it does not have the ropes course. The port is an hour away from the airport and you have to rent a car or shuttle to port and back. Do the dream or Fantasy first then if you love it you can do another port later. I also did a review on our magic cruise but it was our anniversary and the kids didn't go. We live in MS and sail out of New Orleans and mobile mostly. My advice is start with a 5 day on Fantasy. If you become addicted like most of us on cruise critic, then do the 7 day on the dream next. Then when breeze moves to PC you can fly there. We are going back on Fantasy in September and have the breeze out of Galveston booked in December.

I read all your reviews!!! They helped so much!

Long lines and crowds do not appeal to me and the location of chairs vs water parks is huge since my done is 10. Plus it seems Fantasy is substantially less expensive than the dream!

I'm thinking we will start with the Fantasy!

What is a December cruise like? What do the kids have to do? Is it cold? Can they still swim?

I liked the Fantasy so there might be some pluses that are being missed on the old girl. Despite the urge to go on the latest and greatest I think a trip on the older ships can certainly be a worthwhile experience.

First, she doesn't have the American Table Menu. She has the older menu that some cruisers prefer. (this may have changed with the upgrade tho)

Second, the Fantasy Class Atriums are very impressive.

Third, the Fantasy might feel a little less crowded then the larger Dream.

Fourth, the Serenity area doesn't get as busy as the Dream since alot of ppl don't know to check at the back of the theater.

Fifth, I really like the Brits show on the Fantasy.

Sixth, The themes on the Fantasy are really cool, They have Great Britain, Egypt and Roman Times represented. There is even a club showing what household items look like to cats.

Seventh, Those chairs on the promenade are very comfortable.

Eighth, Fantasy now has a Guy's. Sure the line for it will be shorter than Dreams.

Ninth, It seemed easier to get a comedy club seat on the fantasy, and some of the best comedians I saw were on the Fantasy.

Tenth, the drill takes place in the lounges.

All very good points! Thank you! I do not like crowds. I want to relax as much as I can.

I read all your reviews!!! They helped so much!

Long lines and crowds do not appeal to me and the location of chairs vs water parks is huge since my done is 10. Plus it seems Fantasy is substantially less expensive than the dream!

I'm thinking we will start with the Fantasy!

What is a December cruise like? What do the kids have to do? Is it cold? Can they still swim?

It will probably be too cold to swim while you are in mobile and for a while until you get closer to the Caribbean. The first sea day should be warm enough for the slides and pool on the ship. It will be warm in Cozumel and costa maya too so you will be able to enjoy the beaches or whatever excursions you decide on. My kids always love the kids club too and spend a lot of time there.