November cruising

mimxmom

Hurricane season is from June 1 to November 30. Having said that, we have cruised mostly during hurricane season with few disruptions. Yes, we've had changes (eastern Caribbean cruise turned into a western, a western turned into an eastern, a 7 day turned into a 9 day, some ports substituted for others) but never had bad weather. Ships move away from the storms. If you book a land vacation and a hurricane hits you're out of luck, with a cruise you're just going somewhere else.

Hurricane season is from June 1 to November 30. Having said that, we have cruised mostly during hurricane season with few disruptions. Yes, we've had changes (eastern Caribbean cruise turned into a western, a western turned into an eastern, a 7 day turned into a 9 day, some ports substituted for others) but never had bad weather. Ships move away from the storms. If you book a land vacation and a hurricane hits you're out of luck, with a cruise you're just going somewhere else.

Were you charged extra automatic gratuities when the 7 day cruise turned into a 9 day cruise? If you had a length of cruise internet package, did it still work on the last two days?

Were you charged extra automatic gratuities when the 7 day cruise turned into a 9 day cruise? If you had a length of cruise internet package, did it still work on the last two days?

That cruise was back in '04, I really don't remember if we were charged for the extra 2 days, I think not, but I do know we did tip our waiters and steward extra. As for the internet, we never buy that, we disconnect onboard. I know they did use paper napkins on the last night in the MDR and we didn't have a towel animal that night either. I'm scarred for life, pretty sure Carnival owes me a cruise for that, LOL. :rolleyes:

We've cruised multiple times in November - out of Baltimore also so even more weather related events with the snow that could be happening there... It's really hit or miss - as it is with anytime during hurricane season. I like it but you'll have very similar weather as April - still warm everyone but not cool enough to really care.

We're headed out over Thanksgiving this year - 2nd time over Thanksgiving so we can't wait to get away for the holiday.

No way to know this far out what November holds. That said, we've cruised probably about eight to ten times between September and December with mostly good luck. We've missed ports maybe three or four times which was a bummer, but for us it's a risk worth taking. The cruise itself isn't going to be canceled unless a storm badly damages the embarkation port a day or two before sailing, or is in the immediate area the day of sailing. THAT said, Carnival hurricane season prices aren't as good as they used to be, so I'm not sure it's worth the small risk of missing scheduled ports any longer. I guess it's up to the individual to weigh cost against risk. The other perk of sailing during that time of year is less kids aboard (if that matters to you).

That cruise was back in '04, I really don't remember if we were charged for the extra 2 days, I think not, but I do know we did tip our waiters and steward extra. As for the internet, we never buy that, we disconnect onboard. I know they did use paper napkins on the last night in the MDR and we didn't have a towel animal that night either. I'm scarred for life, pretty sure Carnival owes me a cruise for that, LOL. :rolleyes:

I think I might like to be scarred for life that way...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can I expect to have good weather in early November? Is this outside of hurricane season? Used to travelling in April so November will be different for me.

Nov will not be as warm as April but very nice.

Nov will not be as warm as April but very nice.

Not correct- the Atlantic, including Bahamas area, is warmer in April than November - it takes a long time for the summer warmth to dissipate than for the winter cold to go away -- and the the same applies to the Caribbean to the extent there is any significant difference.

Seasonal difference at sea is very different from that on land.

November is my favorite time to cruise. It isn't crowded in the ports. High season for cruises in the carribean is November - April. The season is just starting at the beginning of November and the excursion guides and island folks are very fresh and happy to greet you. The weather is 80's all year long. We have never had bad weather. The cruises are cheaper with less ships in port. I see no down side!

We sail very often in the fall during hurricane season, and only had an issue on one cruise. That was from Oct. 26-31, and was when Hurricane Sandy hit.in 2012. We were supposed to go to Bermuda, and when we boarded the ship, everyone was told that Bermuda was cancelled. It was essentially going to be a cruise to nowhere, but during the worst of the storm, the ship would hunker down in a bay or something. Everyone was given the option to get off and get a refund (not sure if anything else was offered), or sail and get onboard credit. We stayed on the ship and had a great time, but have still never seen Bermuda.

Can I expect to have good weather in early November? Is this outside of hurricane season? Used to travelling in April so November will be different for me.

Yes, early November is still within hurricane/tropical storm season but not as bad as earlier in the fall.

In EARLY November your temperatures will be about the same as they are in April in the Bahamas where it seems you're going.