San Francisco Pier for Princess Cruises

comiso13

I am on a cruise stopping in San Francisco in October and I'm trying to confirm the pier we will dock at. Is it Pier 27, what appears to be the Princess Cruises pier? I am considering how to spend my time in the city and wonder if we will be close enough to Pier 39 to walk there. From Pier 27 to Pier 39 appears to be less than a mile and I wouldn't need to schedule an excursion at all.

Easy 10 minute walk at most. Just past that is the Fishermans Wharf area. Also right next to the Princess pier is the Alcatraz tour. If interested book online in advance as it can sell out.

Thanks for the information, any length of walk will be a good thing after cruising a few days with unlimited food. I don't want to do a lot of site seeing of the city and now I know how much there is to enjoy close to the ship.

The last time we stopped in SF at Pier 27, there was a free shuttle to Pier 39. Lots of places to spend on Pier 39, so you should at least expect free transportation :).

Yes, this is correct. There is a free business both ways ( to and from ) pier 39. You may have to wait a few minutes to board. You could walk it but it is a bit of a schlep.

If you're on the Star Princess, you may be docking at Pier 35, which is even closer to Pier 39, of course. The Pier 27 website has a downloadable schedule of all cruise ships for the year, if it makes a difference to you.

We walked from the ship to Fisherman's Wharf for lunch. Then we wandered up the hill to the top of Lombard Street (very strenuous hike) and then down the crookedest street in the world. Then public bus to Union Square, dinner with friends, and public bus up Market Street back to the pier.

I am on a cruise stopping in San Francisco in October and I'm trying to confirm the pier we will dock at. Is it Pier 27, what appears to be the Princess Cruises pier? I am considering how to spend my time in the city and wonder if we will be close enough to Pier 39 to walk there. From Pier 27 to Pier 39 appears to be less than a mile and I wouldn't need to schedule an excursion at all.

How much time do you have? With kids? Most of what I recommend can all/most be seen in half day.

IMHO, San Francisco is best experienced by walking. There is no need to schedule an excursion, unless you are unable to walk, and/or want to see sights like Golden Gate Park, Golden Gate Bridge, Coit Tower, Crooked Street, Haight-Asbury (where the Summer of Love was born), etc. a distance away from the tourist area Fishermans Wharf. FWIW, I own a vacation home in San Francisco located at the foot of Coit Tower.

Pier 27 is the San Francisco Cruise Port and where Princess docks. It's only a few minutes walk to touristy sites Pier 39, Fishermans Wharf, Chinatown, and North Beach (Little Italy). IMHO, do not eat at rip off tourist restaurants at Fishermans Whaf or Pier 39. Except at In-N-Out Burgers (California icon), or Johhny Rockets (Old School burger joint, fun for kids). Or if at Fishermans Wharf, recommend a Walk-Away steamed whole cracked crab to share, or a crab cocktail, (at crab stands near Alioto's, where fishing boats moor). Eat at pier side or at tables located around Fishermans Wharf, or walk back to the Embarcadero waterfront between Pier 39 and Cruise Port, find a bench, admire the view of San Francisco, and eat your crab/seafood of choice. Or better yet go where locals eat: 20-30 minute walk, and eat at Ferry Plaza (Pier 1, foot of Market Street, for healthy fast food organic foods), Chinatown(for dim sum), or North Beach (for Italian fare). Have an Irish Coffee. Walk up to Coit Tower for a great view, walk or take cable car to Crooked Street (Near North). And you like ride one of the cable cars to/from the North Beach back to cruise port area..

Feel free to ask if more questions/recommendations.

And, have fun in San Francisco, and enjoy your cruise.

Regards,

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Thanks for all of the information. I haven't decided how much walking i want to do, but i do have a good map of the area to see what is within walking distance. It has been many years since I have been to the city, but I am there for relaxation and site seeing, not a marathon. Feel free to make any other comments and suggestions.

Michael

I am a san francisco native... worked near the cruise port for many years... you do not have to do alot....to enjoy the city... if it is a beautiful sunny.... you can walk any direction from the port ... til you get tired and find a place to eat and enjoy the area. If it is not a beautiful sunny day... walk as far as you can then find a place to get some warm soup, with a view and enjoy sites. There are places along the Embarcedero .... main street in front of the port.

Is there a place to store your luggage at the pier?

When you arrive at the pier. you turn your luggage over to staff that will have it check and put aboard the ship, no storage for carryons.

I work at the pier. The Star will be at pier 35 which is next to pier 39.

Thanks for that! We're on the voyage and just did a little jump for joy. A few years ago we overnighted at Pier 27. We love walking but that 1/2 mile or so less a day will save our legs for other adventures [emoji6]