Comfort Card....What do you choose?

Midwestgal

Since we got on the subject of steward tips - which do you prefer: giving them all the money up front, daily or at the end? And how much?

My first cruise wasn't a normal cruise as it was a themed cruise with a band. Nobody told me about tipping the steward and I'm not even sure I ever saw one, tbh.

At the END of the cruise If we feel we've gotten great service we normally slip then the equivalent of $5 times the number of days we cruised above and beyond the auto-gratituties which I would never take off.

At the END of the cruise If we feel we've gotten great service we normally slip then the equivalent of $5 times the number of days we cruised above and beyond the auto-gratituties which I would never take off.

Thank you! I've already purchased gratuities and I'm typically a generous tipper. Just trying to figure my budget. :)

Being that I am going on my first cruise next month, the twice a day service is not something I have experience with. But my impression was the only things missing with going to once a day (beside the actual time of day the task was completed) was the refill of the ice bucket, fresh towels twice a day, and bed turn down. So it seems like they haven't reduced their work by half, maybe by 20%. So reducing tips by 50% seems harsh. Of course I could be completely incorrect since I have no idea of what I'm talking about[emoji854]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One more reason that we're not doing Carnival as much anymore. If someone likes to have service just once a day, that's great, but if I am ever made to choose either AM or PM, that will be the last Carnival cruise...and that will be reflected in the gratuity. My fare hasn't been decreased (it fact, it is more now) so I expect the same level of service. If other cruise lines can still do it twice a day, so can Carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Never been to guest services and probably never will. I'm very easy going and prefer to spend my time relaxing and not worrying about reducing tips

I'm pretty relaxed too and it wouldn't be a worry, I'd just do it. Half the service gets half the tips from me. However, I am going on the assumption that our stewards will be just as good as they always have been and there won't be any issue.

PM and it works out great for us. We love it and should have thought of it 30 cruises ago. We only shower once a day - after the beach/sun day not before - so we don't need clean towels in the morning. DH makes the bed :D. I don't have to worry about steward not being able to get into son's room because he is sleeping late. I don't have to worry that they are cleaning the room in the morning when we want to stop back.

BUT - in April on the Conquest we had to convince the steward that we only wanted PM. He was shocked and I see why based on all the people answering this as the MUST have 2x.

I could prob do the entire week with the same set of towels. Idk what ppl would need them refilled twice a day for.

I'd choose Evening service personally. I really don't need my bed made for me to lay back in it to mess it up if I take a nap and I like coming in after dinner to a towel animal and my daily times nightly. Plus no morning gives me the ability to sleep in if I want to. Not sure I'll ever do that or not but the option is there.

Never been to guest services and probably never will. I'm very easy going and prefer to spend my time relaxing and not worrying about reducing tips

You are insinuating that everyone who goes to Guest Services are whiners and complainers or cheapskates who want to remove tips. While it's very nice that you are easy going and never have been to Guest Services, you should consider yourself lucky perhaps instead of patting yourself on the back at your ease of care.

I am not a whiner or complainer and have never removed auto gratuities, but have had to go to Guest Services on every cruise I have been on.

First time daughter lost her sign and sail card, second time the door to the bathroom got stuck somehow, and this last cruise, our safe quit recognizing the card I had been using to open and lock it. It was the night before port trip and we wanted to get our money for the port excursions and our passports out and lo and behold the safe would not open. I had to go stand in line at guest services. They came right away and opened and reset our safe.

Just sayin....not everyone in Guest Service lines are complainers. You should be thankful you haven't had any need to go there!

You are insinuating that everyone who goes to Guest Services are whiners and complainers or cheapskates who want to remove tips. While it's very nice that you are easy going and never have been to Guest Services, you should consider yourself lucky perhaps instead of patting yourself on the back at your ease of care.

I am not a whiner or complainer and have never removed auto gratuities, but have had to go to Guest Services on every cruise I have been on.

First time daughter lost her sign and sail card, second time the door to the bathroom got stuck somehow, and this last cruise, our safe quit recognizing the card I had been using to open and lock it. It was the night before port trip and we wanted to get our money for the port excursions and our passports out and lo and behold the safe would not open. I had to go stand in line at guest services. They came right away and opened and reset our safe.

Just sayin....not everyone in Guest Service lines are complainers. You should be thankful you haven't had any need to go there!

I am only stating the facts of my experiences not yours or anyone else and I never ever said anything about people being complainers. Most of those issues could have been resolved via a phone call from the comfort of your cabin.

I don't understand posters who say their kids are slobs. Why do you let them do that? Teach them some manners and to care for their things. A sloppy room is an indication of a sloppy mind.

That is totally unacceptable to me as well. It's different when it's their own room at home. While a total pigsty won't be tolerated, a little messy is understandable at home. But when you're on a ship and have other people in and out of the cabin and are there to tidy things up, no way would that fly.

Mine were taught from the time they were little even on their first cruise at ages 5 and 7 that everything had it's place. Clothes came off, they went in the designated dirty clothes closet, etc. Pajamas back in the drawer. Shoes in the closet. I can't imagine any scenario to where I should have to be embarrassed by their nastiness.

I have walked by some of the cabins and peeked in when the doors are propped open for servicing and I am utterly appalled that people can live like that. I can only imagine what their houses look like. Disgusting.

I don't understand posters who say their kids are slobs. Why do you let them do that? Teach them some manners and to care for their things. A sloppy room is an indication of a sloppy mind.

Our teenage sons got a lesson on their first cruise. Thought they could leave their cabin a total mess. Thought the steward would clean.

They got a lesson. I made them clean the cabin totally on first sea day. Don't care they were on vacation. Manners.

After cleaned we allowed the steward back into their cabin to do daily cleaning. They kept things in shape after that.

On our last 4 cruises where this has been in effect, we have yet to see a Comfort Card. Every time the room steward has asked, "What time do you want your room serviced?" I didn't fall for the ploy and responded, "Both morning and evening and we would like ice both times and we would like robes." It still rankles that they came out with this about the same time they raised the gratuities.

Until you have had a sloppy kid, you won't get it. Trust me. He is brilliant, hugely ADHD and doesn't see the world the way most of us do. If you are a psych RN then you are familiar with the INTP personality and you should know what I mean.

And I disagree that it is an indication of a sloppy mind - but much more likely a reflection of his brilliance. He sees things at different levels and from different perspectives that even highly intelligent people like me don't fully grasp. His mind is constantly at work. The world needs these minds but at the same time you will never tame or contain them. And the last thing he is going to worry about is a wet towel on the floor, sock under the bed or clothes hanging out of the drawer when he has much grander ideas in his head.

My younger kid is very organized and they were raised the same way so it has nothing to do with parenting. We have tried both positive and negative consequences, done therapy and worked and worked on this issue but with little to no improvement. It's very easy to sit back and be judgmental and say "why do you let them do that" - he's 19 now and has to make his own choices. And when he was younger, and even now to some extent, I will make him tidy up - but it is often a frustrating struggle for both of us and not a battle I really want to have on vacation. I don't "let" him do it - it's what he does. The question becomes the remedy - which is usually a quick check and tidy before we head to dinner. Does it meet my standards of how I would live - no. But it gets by. All this may It may seem "easy" to a highly logical or organized person; to one apparently outwardly disorganized it is all but impossible.

And please don't ever suggest my child lacks manners. He will yes ma'am or sir any adult, dress appropriately for the venue (including tie and jacket on formal nights) and hold doors for anyone. Just because he leaves piles or clothes and papers about his space does not make him rude....on the cruise his room is his space and he knows that the steward will not clean it up for him.

I know that all of you who are judgmental on this point don't have perfect children. We ALL have flaws. So please, try to be less judgmental, lest someone come after your child for their flaw.

Edited by A&Jfamily

Until you have had a sloppy kid, you won't get it. Trust me. He is brilliant, hugely ADHD and doesn't see the world the way most of us do. If you are a psych RN then you are familiar with the INTP personality and you should know what I mean.

And I disagree that it is an indication of a sloppy mind - but much more likely a reflection of his brilliance. He sees things at different levels and from different perspectives that even highly intelligent people like me don't fully grasp. His mind is constantly at work. The world needs these minds but at the same time you will never tame or contain them. And the last thing he is going to worry about is a wet towel on the floor, sock under the bed or clothes hanging out of the drawer when he has much grander ideas in his head.

My younger kid is very organized and they were raised the same way so it has nothing to do with parenting. We have tried both positive and negative consequences, done therapy and worked and worked on this issue but with little to no improvement. It's very easy to sit back and be judgmental and say "why do you let them do that" - he's 19 now and has to make his own choices. And when he was younger, and even now to some extent, I will make him tidy up - but it is often a frustrating struggle for both of us and not a battle I really want to have on vacation. I don't "let" him do it - it's what he does. The question becomes the remedy - which is usually a quick check and tidy before we head to dinner. Does it meet my standards of how I would live - no. But it gets by. All this may It may seem "easy" to a highly logical or organized person; to one apparently outwardly disorganized it is all but impossible.

And please don't ever suggest my child lacks manners. He will yes ma'am or sir any adult, dress appropriately for the venue (including tie and jacket on formal nights) and hold doors for anyone. Just because he leaves piles or clothes and papers about his space does not make him rude....on the cruise his room is his space and he knows that the steward will not clean it up for him.

I know that all of you who are judgmental on this point don't have perfect children. We ALL have flaws. So please, try to be less judgmental, lest someone come after your child for their flaw.

You just remember that real clear the next time you tell someone they aren't welcomed at the dining room.

As for me; next cruise selecting "both" will see how it goes. If it comes down to it I'd prefer evening service but with a whole lot of towels left in the room.

You just remember that real clear the next time you tell someone they aren't welcomed at the dining room.

As for me; next cruise selecting "both" will see how it goes. If it comes down to it I'd prefer evening service but with a whole lot of towels left in the room.

I have never told anyone they weren't welcome in the MDR; I have however suggested they follow the dress code. I have copied the policy from carnival and criticized those that completely ignore it with such things as men in tank tops. And I have criticized CCL for not enforcing it.

This thread was about room cleaning - which impacts no one else on the cruise - especially when we tell the steward that the boys' room will likely be messy and not to worry about it. And a messy room does not violate any Carnival policy.

So please don't take the thread off topic because the two are not related.

So please don't take the thread off topic because the two are not related.

Apart from leaving clothing all over the place I don't really see how "dirty" any one could get a room unless they are leaving leftover food to sit out and stink. So I don't think it's really a big deal at all. Stewards deal with this all the time. I am sure they move the clothes to a pile and clean the rest as best they can and that's that. I don't think the stewards mind too much one way or the other <shrug>

You are asking people to not be judgmental about something that does not impact them. That's a position I happen to agree with very much. It doesn't matter to me what your son does in his room, he is on vacation. If he is neat or sloppy, no difference to me at all, no judgments.

Reading this thread - I really don't think the comments about sloppy kids are aimed at your "hugely ADHD" kid. A gentle reminder from you that there are exceptions to average sloppy kids probably would have made the point.:(

Apart from leaving clothing all over the place I don't really see how "dirty" any one could get a room unless they are leaving leftover food to sit out and stink. So I don't think it's really a big deal at all. Stewards deal with this all the time. I am sure they move the clothes to a pile and clean the rest as best they can and that's that. I don't think the stewards mind too much one way or the other

I have seen so many cabins that looked liked bombs had gone off in them. Papers all over, trash strewn about on the floor and on the counter, clothes every which way, even dirty diapers on the floor. So nasty that I wouldn't even want to step foot in there. I have also seen the steward sitting on the floor of an inside cabin folding - yes folding the clothes and putting them in a pile to match others that were on the bed that they just finished. And this wasn't just one night. It was multiple nights. They don't simply put them in a pile and work around them. So yes I'm sure they do mind as it takes up a lot of their time. I wouldn't be surprised if they were also the same people that removed gratuities.

While the previous poster's child has a medical condition that can explain or maybe even excuse their behavior, I am willing to bet that the occupants of the cabins that I have seen have no valid reason for living in those squalid conditions besides just being dirty, nasty, lazy people. Because if it were my cabin or my children's cabin, there is no way it would get to that point. I would clean it myself before I even let anyone near it much less leave it for someone else to deal with.

And that's all I'm going to say about that as I agree that this thread has gone off on a tangent.

We get both AM and PM. Like to shower in the AM before breakfast and also after the excursion of the day. That way we have clean towels in the AM (from previous PM) and clean towels in the PM (from the AM cleaning And we also get clean beach towels in the PM visit.. Ice bucket to be kept full all the time. And Bath Robes are a must for coffee on the balcony in the AM and for the MDR on elegant nights.