Alaska cruise w/ a stop in Victoria, passport question

cruzinfamilyof4

I assumed this was true last year (June 2016) and had my brother renew his passport, only to find that it was a shorter expiration window (maybe 3 months? don't remember) and he wouldn't have had to re-up... however, that was last year and I recently read on CC that Canada's visa structure has changed since then with the addition of something called ETA (not ESTA). I don't know if anything else (like the expiry window) might have changed at that time, so I recommend going to the Canada Consulate/Embassy site and read the current requirements.

Don't think so. If you're a citizen of the USA you don't even need a passport. Birth certificate will do.[/quote

If you want to take an excursion that crosses into Canada (ie to the Yukon on a tour from Skagway) you need a current passport.

If you're looking at a cruise that stops in Canada, you need to determine your cruise line's policy, not just Canada's. As I recall, Princess still wants six months of validity (but check with them).

If you're looking at a cruise that stops in Canada, you need to determine your cruise line's policy, not just Canada's. As I recall, Princess still wants six months of validity (but check with them).

For US citizens on a closed-loop cruise to Alaska from Seattle, you do NOT even need a passport for the cruise, nor do you need one to visit Victoria on your port stop. You do need one, as others have mentioned, if choose to cross into Canada from Skagway, either on a tour or on your own if renting a car.