How does P&O compare to Princess and Celebrity?

ScotchBoy

As much as I like my fellow Brits, when I go on holiday I want something different - I want a mix of people and nationalities and I do not want to be offered so-called British food such as Roast Beef, Fish & Chips, Shepherds Pie etc. The quality of the food on P&O was acceptable but they should do far more of an international menu and I think that is one of the reasons they do not attract a more international clientele. I have to agree with other posts that the P&O sailaways are an embarrassment. On the basis of menu choice and mix of passengers alone, I for one am unlikely to sail on P&O again. Ratings tell the whole story - look where the P&O ships sit in the Berlitz guide (other reputable guides are available!!!) - that tells you how it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As much as I like my fellow Brits, when I go on holiday I want something different - I want a mix of people and nationalities and I do not want to be offered so-called British food such as Roast Beef, Fish & Chips, Shepherds Pie etc. The quality of the food on P&O was acceptable but they should do far more of an international menu and I think that is one of the reasons they do not attract a more international clientele. I have to agree with other posts that the P&O sailaways are an embarrassment. On the basis of menu choice and mix of passengers alone, I for one am unlikely to sail on P&O again. Ratings tell the whole story - look where the P&O ships sit in the Berlitz guide (other reputable guides are available!!!) - that tells you how it is.

They don't get a more international set of passengers because they do not sell the cruises outside the U.K. Anyone who wants to sail with the company has to do it through the UK. However we have met a number of people from other countries who love what P&O offer.

It has nothing to do with the food on offer. The food on offer is to suit the cruisers who use the ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Couldn't disagree more - we have had some great sailaways and find that Celebrity lacked atmosphere in that area. I am more than happy to see people enjoying their holiday. Last year we sailed away from Kotor and Corfu we had brilliant sailaways - one in beautiful scenery and the other alongside the Aurora and her passengers. A great atmosphere and this was not the Great British Sailaway that some do not like. (Incidentally, if you don't like this sailaway don't go, but at least they have something .... when we left Rome on our first Celebrity cruise and the first for the Silhouette as a new ship - there was nothing at all!)

Regarding the food - we prefer P&O and it is NOT all your typical British pub food. OK it is there is you want it, but if you don't there is another choice. Think nice restaurant. The buffet on Celebrity is amazing and P&O just don't compare to be honest and the select dining is good on both - though a 3rd of the price on P&O. Sindhu's doesn't do anything for me - but surely this must count as being more international.

Yes, there are more nationalities on Celebrity - but if we remember our fist Celebrity cruise traditional Celebrity people complained that there were too many Europeans on the ship (Italians) and it caused many a big issue. We just loved it. Have to admit that it is nice to meet all nationalities ----- though some folk could be best avoided :-)

What annoys me is when people compare Celebrity and P&O as like for like. They are not. Each to their own. Both are special for us and we love both for different things. What we also need to remember is though that P&O is cheaper than Celebrity and does not have the dreaded 18% gratuities for everything and extreme price for drinks etc. The excursions are much cheaper on P&O (and they are the same excursions too) and the fly cruises on P&O are so much better and well organised from star to finish.

If I booked a 5 star hotel in the UK I would expect a better product than if I had booked a 4 star. P&O fall in to this category for us. You can't compare the 2 unless you take price in to the equation. Many people prefer to go with Regent than Celebrity as it is a better product etc, but is a lot more expensive!

Having said this, as you can see from our cruise history - past and those to come - we love both lines, but would not try to compare as they are very different. They both have strengths and weaknesses but both will give you a great cruise if you go with the mind set that you won't look for things that you don't like. (If that makes sense).

They are both different and that's what we need.

They don't get a more international set of passengers because they do not sell the cruises outside the U.K. Anyone who wants to sail with the company has to do it through the UK. However we have met a number of people from other countries who love what P&O offer.

It has nothing to do with the food on offer. The food on offer is to suit the cruisers who use the ships.

We've got a Belgian French-speaking couple on the roll call for our next cruise (35 nights) and it\s not the first time they've cruised with P&O

We've got a Belgian French-speaking couple on the roll call for our next cruise (35 nights) and it\s not the first time they've cruised with P&O

Thinking about it we have met, and made friends with, folk from Australia, Canada, Spain and Germany on our cruises with P&O. Ok, not that many of them, but as Dai has said, P&O don't tend to sell to an International market.

I really don't want to come across as a 'P&O Cheerleader', but I do find some comparisons with P&O and Celebrity so unfair.

We know them well, lovely couple.

Just mention Dai &a Linda to them