The very front

Razor_Poke

This is for sure a Carnival thing but probably the other lines too.

Why is the very front of cruise ships inaccessible to the public? My guess would be safety but there are plenty of places to jump overboard. I want to be "king of the world " [emoji3][emoji924]

This is for sure a Carnival thing but probably the other lines too.

Why is the very front of cruise ships inaccessible to the public? My guess would be safety but there are plenty of places to jump overboard. I want to be "king of the world " [emoji3][emoji924]

It will be the Captain who can allow you.

I believe on some ships, that might be crew area for sunbathing. Maybe a pool or hot tub area. But that doesn't really answer the question. I guess the question would then be, why do they designate the front of the ship "crew area"?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I believe on some ships, that might be crew area for sunbathing. Maybe a pool or hot tub area. But that doesn't really answer the question. I guess the question would then be, why do they designate the front of the ship "crew area"?

Maybe gives the crew a place to relax away from passengers ??

I was really thinking, why that particular location? I assume they get to have some space away from passengers. From pictures I have seen, I am going to guess it is one of the least "tourist friendly" spots. High walls, high winds. Just not as scenic as one might think.

I was really thinking, why that particular location? I assume they get to have some space away from passengers.

They do. On Conquest-class ships there is a small crew hot-tub in that forward deck area, and as I recall the crew lounge/bar is right beneath there. (The hot-tub is about the size of a postage stamp, according to our tour guide. :) )

From pictures I have seen, I am going to guess it is one of the least "tourist friendly" spots. High walls, high winds. Just not as scenic as one might think.

I think this has a lot to do with it. When the ship is underway it's really quite windy up there almost all the time. The Serenity Decks located forward have the same problem as well as the "secret decks" forward; both can sometimes be closed due to high winds.

On some larger ships, the Behind the Fun tour includes a tour of the front and a group photo by the ship's bell so you can get your "King of the World" moment....sorta. :)

It's a crew area... the exit t this area is connected to crew area... it has an area for them to sit, smoke and get cell phone connection as there is usually none on deck 0 and below and there is no other real "outside" area for them... they also have a hot tub ( that is like never is service) and the views are not great anyway as the wall is very tall.

The bow helipad is open on all RCI Radiance, Voyager and Freedom Class ships. I'm not sure why other lines don't do it. It's a great place to hang out.

--And this is something I wish I'd known before my last three (charter) cruises on Independence of the Seas. I think you have to access it from a different deck (below) and it's not straightforward, but I'm going to try to check it out next February (music charter cruise #4).

Another reason that this "real-estate" is designated for crew might be that the very front of the ship is almost completely dark, so the Bridge has better visibility. This would make that small deck less than useful and safe as a passenger area, so the crew can use it instead. Just above this are some passenger areas, the dark "hidden decks" that are forward, just below the bridge are really good for quiet and solitude, or observing stars or passing illuminated islands.