Cabin dilemma

undecided1

My family consists of my husband, two teen boys 17 and 15. My oldest son is over 6 ft tall and the younger is not far behind. When we originally booked our cabin mid ship balcony, the representative would not allow us to book two adjoining cabins due to the boys ages. I booked the cabin and figured I would live with it....and it did not hurt that the boys sailed free. We are now 40 days out and I am getting more concerned about space. I did bid on the Haven suites, but am not overly optimistic. Does anyone have suggestions on how to resolve or am I being ridiculous and we will fit fine? There is a lot of cabins left, so I called NCL to see if I got a different answer but I did not.

Thanks

My family consists of my husband, two teen boys 17 and 15. My oldest son is over 6 ft tall and the younger is not far behind. When we originally booked our cabin mid ship balcony, the representative would not allow us to book two adjoining cabins due to the boys ages. I booked the cabin and figured I would live with it....and it did not hurt that the boys sailed free. We are now 40 days out and I am getting more concerned about space. I did bid on the Haven suites, but am not overly optimistic. Does anyone have suggestions on how to resolve or am I being ridiculous and we will fit fine? There is a lot of cabins left, so I called NCL to see if I got a different answer but I did not.

Thanks

I'm not sure which ship you are on but is it possible for you to book a 2 bedroom family suite instead? I know they are more expensive, but worth the cost IMO, especially with 2 teens.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can't you book two adjoining cabins, with your husband in one and you listed in the other? With the boys as the second person in each cabin? I know they want an adult in each cabin. Maybe that will solve the problem?

NCL said no as there have been too many instances of the children being left alone.

Interesting. When we originally booked our cruise with NCL 6 months ago they had no problem doing that (we were 2 teens and 2 adults in 2 adjoining balcony rooms). The NCL agent suggested we book one adult in each room then switch rooms and ask for more key cards when on board. We wound up upgrading to the Haven, 2 bedroom suite so never had to do that, but the idea came from the NCL agent! You may want to try contacting a different agent and see. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

NCL said no as there have been too many instances of the children being left alone.

That's funny, we did this, booking two adjoining cabins with my DH listed with my one son as occupants of one and myself with second son in the other. This was on The Gem in 2012, through our travel agent. So I guess something changed with their rules since then. (Or maybe call again to try to book the 2 connecting rooms, possibly getting a different person & different answer??)

We also booked 2 connecting rooms on Carnival the same way in 2014.

I hope you can do this because IMO the room is going to be too tight for the four of you.

Adding on to what I just wrote above...there are 6 in my family, so NCL's stance doesn't even make sense since we all can't fit in one balcony even if we wanted to.

Call and tell whatever agent picks up that you realize one cabin is too

small so your husband and older son want to stay in an adjoining cabin instead. How can they force you to stay in one cabin? They would lose so much business!

I think the problem is that you waited too long before trying to make a change. At this point, a cancel/re-book would be very expensive.

Even doing the "mom/kid" in one stateroom and "dad/kid" in another stateroom would be a cancel/re-book and even then, there would be no 3rd/4th free since there would be no 3rd or 4th.

We are on the Escape and the 2 bedroom suites are still priced at 10k which is more than I am comfortable spending. I am try to keep the cabin cost no more than $6500.

Have you looked at the H7 or H6? The teens would share a sofa-bed but they would have a separate living-room from the master bedroom.

I have sailed a couple of times in regular balcony cabins with my wife, teen daughter and teen niece and we did fine. It's tight, no question, but doable if everyone is flexible and has a sense of humor.

There's very little time spent in the cabin and you just need to coordinate showers.

I wouldn't concern yourself and I'd happily save the money.

If your family is anything like mine, you'll never have all 4 of you in the cabin at the same time, except for sleeping purposes.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks

In 2007 we sailed with 8 people in two adjoining ocean view rooms on the pearl. I was in college at the time, sailing with 3 younger siblings (college and high school aged), my parents and grandparents. 7/8 of us are 6 foot or taller, and Dad is very rotund as well. We had a grand old time. No one complained about how small the room was because we didn't spend that much time in there!

I Even doing the "mom/kid" in one stateroom and "dad/kid" in another stateroom would be a cancel/re-book and even then, there would be no 3rd/4th free since there would be no 3rd or 4th.

Are you sure? I thought you could change the second name (but not the primary) on a reservation after final payment with no penalty?

Are you sure? I thought you could change the second name (but not the primary) on a reservation after final payment with no penalty?

I could be wrong. I thought that name changes after final payment weren't allowed for free. There may be a fee but it does seem possible to put kid as guest #2 and (if available) book parent/kid in another stateroom.

You're not too late to do a balcony and an inside close to each other, book an adult in each then get extra cards onboard.

This is exactly what we did on our last trip on the Getaway. We were in a balcony and the kids were in an inside. They were not directly across but it was only a short walk around the corner to the entrance of their inside stateroom. We got an extra key for each room on the first day and gave the kids one to our room and we had one to their room. No problems at all.

I think the problem is that you waited too long before trying to make a change. At this point, a cancel/re-book would be very expensive.

Even doing the "mom/kid" in one stateroom and "dad/kid" in another stateroom would be a cancel/re-book and even then, there would be no 3rd/4th free since there would be no 3rd or 4th.

Yep agree. waited too long to think of possible changes.

Thanks

I vote - ridiculous

Do they not realize if you are all booked in the same room and the adults leave the kids will be alone ? Carnival and royal dont have this problem. Twisted logic is always good for a laugh or 2.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

We cruise with older teen daughters. Both over 6' tall. I can't imagine sharing a cabin with them, I'd rather say home. But I know that's me. We've traveled volleyball for years and it was two rooms or mom's not going! I don't enjoy clutter and they throw off nothing but clutter. They also enjoy the space for getting ready, sleeping late, watching an occasional movie with room service. Things I don't enjoy. So not sharing is caring in my family! It may be very different with boys!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, no different with boys. We have 16 years old twins and have not shared a cabin with them for several years now...for many of the same reasons. We booked adult/child in each cabin last March on the Getaway and just booked the Escape for 2018 and Epic for 2019 the same way. I love my boys, but love them more in their own cabin!