C-Pap machine extension cord

Jbluebird

HI,

Cruising on the Dawn and my husband uses a machine at night. I know we need to bring an extension cord, but just wondering if it's a standard 2-prong cord or a 3-prong cord and about how long? We've never had to bring our own so I want to make sure we bring the correct one.

Thank you!

HI,

Cruising on the Dawn and my husband uses a machine at night. I know we need to bring an extension cord, but just wondering if it's a standard 2-prong cord or a 3-prong cord and about how long? We've never had to bring our own so I want to make sure we bring the correct one.

Thank you!

2 or 3 depends on your CPAP machine. If it only needs a 2 prong cord, then that's the one to bring (lighter and smaller).

We always carry a 6' cord and a 12' cord which has been good enough on every ship we've been on. On the Dawn, a standard balcony room has an outlet on the tiny table and the desk across either side of the foot of the bed.

Thank you for the info. The cpap is a 2 prong, but are the outlets in the mini suites on the Dawn 2 or 3 prong? I've heard the outlets are 3 prong, but it seems like people just bring a standard extension cord.

Thank you for the info. The cpap is a 2 prong, but are the outlets in the mini suites on the Dawn 2 or 3 prong? I've heard the outlets are 3 prong, but it seems like people just bring a standard extension cord.

It doesn't matter if they accept 2 prong or 3 prong since your cpap is only 2 prong. A 2 prong extension cord will work in a 3 prong outlet.

Great, thank you for the info. I called NCL because an extension cord was provided when we went on another cruise line and NCL was saying we needed a 4 ft 3 prong extension cord, which is not possible to find. I knew experienced cruisers would have more accurate info. :)

Even 4 foot cords are hard to find. But you can get a very cheap 6 foot, 2 prong cord. And whoever you spoke to didn't know what (s)he was saying. A 2 prong cord will work in a 3 prong outlet. A 3 prong cord will NOT work in a 2 prong outlet. This one from Amazon would work fine for you. https://www.amazon.com/Axis-Power-Cord-Cable-45502/dp/B0073AADTI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1500571095&sr=8-6&keywords=6+foot+extension+cord

Besides, having the extra two feet may help give you some slack.

Some notes from a long time CPAP user and traveler.

1 - Any 2 prong fits into a 3 prong, just like at home. (some 3 prong do not fit into 2 prong of course)

2 - If you travel with a cpap, you should always have an extension cord with you. Never know where you might spend the night.

3 - Light duty is fine. They really do not take much power.

4 - Some CPAPs already have a long cord. Mine is 10 ft.

5 - Water onboard is fine. Distilled not required.

6 - When we planned our Round The World trip with carryon only, I discovered I did just fine without the humidifier. Try it at home first.

7 - Check or not? We have done both. But the last few trips and last two cruises we only took carry on bags with cpap in that.

You might want to bring a masking tape to make the cord firm on the floor so you won't trip on it.
Duck tape works fine for this. I used a cpap for 11 years on cruise ships. First thing I did was tape down the extension cord so that no one would trip. Several cabin attendants supplied a gallon bottle of distilled water as soon as they saw the machine. I didn't even have to ask. However the regular tap water on the ship is distilled from sea water so it works just fine too.

However the regular tap water on the ship is distilled from sea water so it works just fine too.

If you call the access desk at least two weeks before your cruise, they will have distilled water for you.

Note: most ships bunker some of their water (all cruise lines). When the ship is in port, they hook up take on water from the municipal water supply. Some ships will bunker 100% of their water (if you have ever been on a short cruise on the Sky, that's 100% Port of Miami water on board).

Duck tape works fine for this.

it is a bit more money but i found gaffer tape is the best tape to use on any kind of anything that needs to be needs to be tape to wall/floor or whatever. gaffer sticks well to anything and does not leave behind any sticky residue like duck tape

Another thing I always do is to plug the CPAP extension cord into the 220 outlet with a European plug adapter. This leaves the US socket free for other stuff. Every CPAP I have owned over the last 15 years was compatible with 220.

Another thing I always do is to plug the CPAP extension cord into the 220 outlet with a European plug adapter. This leaves the US socket free for other stuff. Every CPAP I have owned over the last 15 years was compatible with 220.

True. Most come with that little "power block" that will work with 120 or 220.

Also, all iphone charges will work with either as well. Guessing other phones too.

You do need the plug ADAPTER - which is different than an CONVERTER of course.

Many ship have two US type outlets. If we have to charge things overnight, we can plug chargers into the same extension cord as the CPAP, or use the other outlet. Though we travel with the adapters for the 220, I find they sometimes do not fit as tight. At least the two we have.