How Many Take Cruises Versus Other Land Vacations

taylortime05

Well, technically you can pack and unpack once on land vacation too. A/I for example, but we feel that cruises are better package even though alcohol is not included.

We do both. We didn't discover cruising until we had been married 12 years and our kids were 4 and 7. We took all land vacations before that with Las Vegas being one of our favorite go to places since we could take so many sight seeing short trips from there (Sedona, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, LA, Zion, Bryce, etc.), plus it is where we started our traveling together on our Honeymoon. Once we discovered cruising it became our favorite family vacation. The Las Vegas trips became couples trips for DH and myself while we took the kids on cruises. We tried to combine small land vacations with those cruises based on the different home ports we sailed out of and by driving to some of the home ports. We also took as many small long weekend trips with/without kids as we could by land.

As the kids moved into high school and college schedules became harder to coordinate. Once the kids could stay home alone, DH and I started taking couples only cruises and fitting in some land vacations with kids when we could fit it into there schedules. DS(23) moved out last year after he graduated and DD(20) will be moving out next week. We will be empty nesters. We rented a VRBO house in FL this past May and DH and I flew out there with my Mom and DD from MI, while DS met us there from ND where he now lives. It worked great since DS couldn't get all the time off we had since it was his first year at his job. We have 2 cruises for DH and myself scheduled for this fall. I'm looking at possibly trying to put a Las Vegas trip together for the family in May (when everyone will be 21). The kids haven't been out there since they were 3 and 6. DD doesn't remember it at all:(. That's ok. DH and I remember the trips there with them and I can tell her all about it and show her the videos and pictures we took of them there. It will be our 30th anniversary next year in October. I've got my eye on an 11 day NCL Breakaway cruise:hearteyes:.

I would say we try to take 1-2 cruises a year and 1-2 longer land trips a year, many times combining the cruise with a land trip, along with some long weekend land trips. We tend to do Vegas at least once every 2-3 years as our land trip, mixing up the rest of the time with other locations across the U.S.A. We tend to do Carnival at least once every 2 cruises. So while it is obvious we have our favorites, we still like to mix it up and try different places and different cruise lines. We haven't done all-inclusive vacations or flown over seas. Quite frankly we have had no desire to do so and therefore we just haven't researched those types of trips. Maybe when we retire we will try them out:D.

It has been a long time since I've cruised. We just came back from a week in an all-inclusive in Punta Cana and we loved it. Very relaxing and the best part is that is was truly all-inclusive. We could have gone the entire week and not spent a dime and had access to everything except motorized water sports.

I enjoy cruises and we have a few coming up but from what I've read the upsell gets annoying and you don't have access to everything for a single all-inclusive price.

I think both are great options and we will continue to do both.

Jersey shore in the summer, cruise in the winter. We aren't really into sightseeing, and want to use our precious vacation weeks to relax and recharge. I think that may change when I retire in two years (can't wait!!!!!) and have more time to travel. I would love to take a few weeks and really see America.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jersey shore in the summer, cruise in the winter. We aren't really into sightseeing, and want to use our precious vacation weeks to relax and recharge. I think that may change when I retire in two years (can't wait!!!!!) and have more time to travel. I would love to take a few weeks and really see America.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I turn 54 in a few days and I think I will be able to retire at 58 so 4 more years. I can't wait either!

Hi,

I've taken 3 cruise so far and each time I book a cruise I get excited for that cruise to come.

How many people do cruises only versus cruises and land vacations?

What drives your decision?

Thanks so much for the feedback.

At one time we took many land vacations but the past 6 years it has been nearly all sea .