Is it time carnival goes mega ship?

Bllybb758

My question is if it is too late for Carnival. They missed the boat ;) on being the first one w/ those line of ships. I'd be concerned about them being to fill up a ship since their customer is accustomed to lower price points.

What they also missed was the debt associated with these giants. I.5 billion per, you cant ever feel the sea, have many port limitations etc etc etc. Somebody has to pay for these, that is why a pina colada costs $15 on Allure.... and NCL has become nickel and dime of the seas. I am fine with the waiting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What they also missed was the debt associated with these giants. I.5 billion per, you cant ever feel the sea, have many port limitations etc etc etc. Somebody has to pay for these, that is why a pina colada costs $15 on Allure.... and NCL has become nickel and dime of the seas. I am fine with the waiting.

All CL nickle and dime you one way or other. I don't drink so that is no sweat of my back. Plus is there is a "free" UBP that comes out to like $18/day.

Some would say that is good debt, esp since those ships have similar or higher profit margins.

The real question is what do mellinnials like as they will some day start making money when they move out of their parent's house and want to vacation

All CL nickle and dime you one way or other. I don't drink so that is no sweat of my back. Plus is there is a "free" UBP that comes out to like $18/day.

Some would say that is good debt, esp since those ships have similar or higher profit margins.

The real question is what do mellinnials like as they will some day start making money when they move out of their parent's house and want to vacation

We will see how it all works out. Simple math tells me if ship by ship your up by 3/4 of a billion and fill your ships your better off, but that is me. Btw the drink was one example of the nickel and diming, it is across everything on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will see. My guess is the company that saves 3/4 of a BILLION per ship will be ahead, but will hat is my simple math. Saying they all nickel and dime may in essence be true, but we both know some (the ones that in hock

To their eyeballs - which happen to be the ones that build these giants) doit way way more. What a coincidence.

No, I never understood the draw of being on a ship with over 6,000 other people. Personally the Breeze is the perfect size. We have cruised on her 3 times, once during spring break, once in May and once in September. It never felt crowded to me.

Agree. Have been on the Breeze twice. Just got off this last Sunday along with 4800 passengers. Only twice did it feel crowded...the embarkation lunch in the lido buffet (of course) and for whatever reason in the lido buffet for breakfast on the first port day (we docked at 10am)...have never seen lines so long in any buffet at any time on any of our five cruises. The MDR was a fine alternative.

I am delighted to sail on any ship. I am not sure size has much to do with the quality of the vacation. Sure a mega ship has room for more activities, but not necessarily better activities. I love small spaces like a library to do a bit of recreational reading. I love a large space like a main dining room with delicious food and artistic presentation. I love a showroom that has truly entertaining presentations, ones that tell a story, or reverberate with my life. What I enjoy is the ability of crew to recognize me and provide selfless service to my comfort. Carnival provides that with the cruises I have enjoyed.

I think once a ship gets to about 125,000 tonnes it really does not make a difference to most people how much larger it gets. People care about safety and show. Disney has just ordered 3 new ships with cabin counts similar to their two newer ships, but slightly higher tonnage. This will allow more entertainment and story telling to be offered for the crowd. The crowd will be about half the mega ship capacity, but I bet most people will have a better vacation on DCL.

I think Carnival has it right. More smaller ships makes it easier to schedule more dates and destinations. I think they work very hard to deliver service and amenities folks enjoy.

What makes it a slam dunk is mega ship orders being filled in the ship yards.

Not even sure what that means..... are you implying that these are the only ships on the order book?

Your implication is lost, then, because I didn't get it either. Sounded like Bob Dylan talking.

I had no problem understanding the statement. Let me spell it out:

It's all Supply and Demand. The fact that the shipyards are still getting megaship orders means that people are sailing them, which means RCCL is making money. Ergo, Slam Dunk. If not, then orders wouldn't keep coming in. Plain and simple.

Okay - What is a "UBP"???

Edited by North of 60
Cause I forgot to when I hit the Post button.

UBP = Ultimate Beverage Package, which is Norwegian's answer to Carnival's Cheers! Package.

You may see a higher advertised fare for Norwegian, but it typically includes UBP as one of several "free" options. It is not unusual for Norwegian with the "free" UBP to be competitive with Carnival and the additional cost of Cheers! Obviously if you don't drink much alcohol a beverage package doesn't do you much good.

I had no problem understanding the statement. Let me spell it out:

It's all Supply and Demand. The fact that the shipyards are still getting megaship orders means that people are sailing them, which means RCCL is making money. Ergo, Slam Dunk. If not, then orders wouldn't keep coming in. Plain and simple.

The month lag in between posts not only makes me forget what you meant but what I meant......

We will see. My guess is the company that saves 3/4 of a BILLION per ship will be ahead, but will hat is my simple math. Saying they all nickel and dime may in essence be true, but we both know some (the ones that in hock

To their eyeballs - which happen to be the ones that build these giants) doit way way more. What a coincidence.

These are also assets that you can sell off too. I don't claim to know the business of cruise ships. If it works for those companies, good for them.

Again, what mellenials like is more important than what most of the ppl on CC think as that is the market that they have to start to pivot to catch. If they like big ships, then buy more.

These are also assets that you can sell off too. I don't claim to know the business of cruise ships. If it works for those companies, good for them.

They sure can do whatever works for them. If they all did exactly the same thing it would be boring. We will see how it all works out over time.

My two cents...we are Diamond on Royal Caribbean and since they started putting more emphasis on their mega ships we have jumped ship so to speak. We have cruised more on Carnival and Holland America because we don't want the big ships.

My two cents...we are Diamond on Royal Caribbean and since they started putting more emphasis on their mega ships we have jumped ship so to speak. We have cruised more on Carnival and Holland America because we don't want the big ships.

You certainly will have more small ship options on both of those.

done Carnival and Royal Carribean. Without a doubt Royal Caribbean looks to take your money in slick ways. Carnival is cut and dried. I thought i was getting something at no cost on RCI and all i heard was "seapass please"..

Best example was very first morning aboard at breakfast. i walked into the windjammer and they had fresh squeezed oj that the staff was happily handing out. I took an oj and heard "seapass please" thats $1.75..i put it down and walked away.

Then there is the upcharge on more things. Im sorry but if im paying $2000 for my wife and i on a ship i dont want to feel nickel and dimed all week. That would only get worse on Bigger ships. Of course, more dining options would be added, but at what cost to the cruiser?