On board the Odyssey

Sunprince

I doubt that any staff are being difficult when they explain that the TK restaurant is likely full and so cannot simply add numbers to existing reservations. If the reservations system shows the tables are booked (and this would likely be with online precruise reservations that already limit each cabin to one per cruise) then there just won't be availability, right? This TK restaurant will certainly be in high demand and Seabourn needs to treat everyone fairly who wants to try it.

If I were to take exception to anything it's the notion that "... it's whom you know" since that phrase suggests that so far you don't know a miracle worker who can conjure up more space- as if there were one and space can be stretched into more seating somehow. On the other hand, it's certainly worth asking the maitre 'd to contact you if cancellations make space available.

Happy and healthy sailing!

You are correct Markham, the Grill is fully booked. They showed me the screen and it was all red. I guess popularity offers less flexibility then we are used to when sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Sunprince

Sunprince ... as was clearly explained to us from a very reliable maitre'd on Odyssey "it's not what you know, it's who you know". Don't deal with the Square people, talk to the person running the grill at the front end.

Or any of the dining venues for that matter.

The problem is....that I am on vacation and I don't want to spend the time to know or find the "right person". We are very low maintenance people unlike some onboard, but I do expect that when a raise a question or valid problem that the first point of contact will get it resolved, rather than me doing the work for them and using up my vacation time to do so.

Sunprince,

I can't get the scene out of my head: Caviar in the Pool, a Signature event, with all that setup work of expensive caviar, underway in the pool. Caviar and champagne is for adults. But then you have some oblivious mother allowing her precious child continue his/her earlier swimming, splashing, bobbing, and delighting everyone else despite the change in the program. Just great... Can't be bothered, I suppose.

I too hope this kid and his/her enablers get off the ship in Malta. And that some passengers complain on their comments card about the lack of supervision by deck officers and/or the cruise director in the lead up to the Caviar in the Pool party. A simple announcement and if needed a personal request would have worked.

Why doesn't Seabourn, part of the Carnival group, hand out discount vouchers for these "winners" to join one of the "fun ships" with pool slides and lots of chlorine to deal with their aftermath? Yes, cross sell their next cruise on Carnival as a "family-centered experience" with complimentary customized video to music and prizes. Fun for them there, a way to promote the Carnival brand to their friends. And best of all calm on Seabourn for the grown-ups.

Sunprince,

You are killing me! Three of 'em?!?

Ok, here's the deal and I usually keep my cards close to my chest. So this is gonna get serious... I board tomorrow and I know you will be remaining at least to Athens... Let's give it a day, see what's what, and plan on a Board meeting at 17:00 at the Sky Bar on Day 2. Agenda will include general discussion, free association brainstorming, prioritization of possible solutions, and action plan. Ok?

Somehow I don't expect the cruise director will come outta this without expending some serious effort - assuming that the "action family" are still onboard. Or if she interrupts the Sky Bar session and insists that I participate in the Howdy Doody Git to know yer neighbor party.

Adios

Re TK on Odyssey; there are very few tables in what used to be restaurant 2, so sadly it is understandable that it gets filled up for the whole cruise, and you need to either book online before boarding, or try as soon as you board, which could be too late.

Regarding kids in the pool during the caviar pool event - this should definitely have been stopped by someone in authority. Not necessarily the CD, actually probably better if it were the Hotel Director or whoever is at the top in the food and beverage department. I do hope the offending family are about to disembark!

Now that you have given away that you are about to board, Markham, I hope you will come back on CC with news during or after your cruise.

Sunprince,

You are killing me! Three of 'em?!?

Ok, here's the deal and I usually keep my cards close to my chest. So this is gonna get serious... I board tomorrow and I know you will be remaining at least to Athens... Let's give it a day, see what's what, and plan on a Board meeting at 17:00 at the Sky Bar on Day 2. Agenda will include general discussion, free association brainstorming, prioritization of possible solutions, and action plan. Ok?

Somehow I don't expect the cruise director will come outta this without expending some serious effort - assuming that the "action family" are still onboard. Or if she interrupts the Sky Bar session and insists that I participate in the Howdy Doody Git to know yer neighbor party.

Adios

Unfortunately the cruise director was in the pool during the caviar event only a few inches away from the kids. He did not say anything!

I heard through our onboard friends that there is a war on between the regular guests and the large Spanish families who are occupying the pools and hot tubs. One family is as large as 20 people and there are 2 or 3 other family groups of similar size. Apparently the HD had to mediate a deal to quiet them all down.

Yesterday afternoon I counted 14 kids ranging in age from 5 to 15 in one of the hot tubs. Also I heard that the boys were throwing golf balls from deck 11 sun deck off the front of the ship and they were landing on the owner's suites!

Parents are no better, one Spanish lady walked straight into me today at breakfast, when I said excuse me, you just walked into me...she gave a puzzled look like I was crazy! I must have been invisible to her, otherwise no excuse.

Our strategy is simple, just ignore them and move to where they are not! We pray they die bark tomorrow!

Oh dear, Sunprince. Sounds awful - let us hope they do indeed 'die bark' tomorrow!

Hard to believe the senior staff on board have not taken more action over this. Maybe Markham will sort them out if they are still there.

Oh dear, Sunprince. Sounds awful - let us hope they do indeed 'die bark' tomorrow!

Hard to believe the senior staff on board have not taken more action over this. Maybe Markham will sort them out if they are still there.

Once again my iPad is altering my words. ☹️

And yes, we will leave it to the expert Markham to sort out these matters. It sounds worse than it is, but we are enjoying our trip so far.

I wanted to report back on the Keller Grill. We found it to be very good. Staff apologized for the mix up with the reservation but in the end, they fixed it despite it being fully booked. The food was excellent, service great. Love the decor. The music was not loud as previously reported. My only complaint was that the temperature of the restaurant was very warm and it made it uncomfortable to eat. Otherwise very good!

Pushy, impertinent, boisterous and large Spanish families? Not my scene and it's not the scene that Seabourn has delivered for us in the past. That said, I do expect some children in the summer months but they simply cannot be allowed to be disruptive towards everyone else. Same for the parents.

The highest levels of Seabourn management will have to learn about this once the captain has been given a chance to set a more civilized tone around the ship. Or he should stand by compensatory payment requests if

we all agree that the Odyssey has lost it luxury cachet and become a free-for-all 3 star Carnival party ship. Seems fair enough to me: the captain does what he can and then the passengers respond as they choose.

I look forward to meeting you, Sunprince, and sharing some observations as the cruise progresses.

I think it must be something in the tapas that turns Spanish brains to mush over their offspring. In the last two or three years I have endured several instances where unruly Spanish children are not only tolerated but encouraged to be as loud and disruptive as possible. And when you say something, as I always do, they try to turn me into the villain. I hate to generalize but a pattern is a pattern.

They are definitely Spanish from Spain. The kids were running around the Observation Lounge tonight at 8pm uncontrolled. Inside and outside. Apparently the parents thought they were being cute, we thought they were rude and unruly. It is now midnight and we just left the Club, the same kids are still there!!

Great news though, I have heard the Spanish families are disembarking tomorrow. There are 48 kids leaving (that's more than 10% of the ship) and only 9 embarking! Let's hope things improve!

Dare one suggest that they could be from somewhere in South America? Seems more likely to me. And either do not speak English, or pretend not to?

No, they speak very good English. And it seems money does not buy class as they seem to be a wealthy family!

Very good news, Sunprince. You seem to have been remarkably restrained in your comments on the behaviour; congratulations. I am surprised to hear that these families were actually from Spain; we have met several Spanish families both in Spain and on cruises, and generally found them to be 'typically Spanish' - well dressed, quiet and courteous, rather formal, and bringing up their children beautifully (usually with a nanny taking care of them much of the time).

Hope that now the rest of your cruise will be completely enjoyable!

No, they speak very good English. And it seems money does not buy class as they seem to be a wealthy family!

Actually, they sound typically Spanish to me. Spanish kids are often up very late and especially where an early dinner can be at 9.30pm. And they are often allowed to run/play around. Spanish society, in my experience, is very tolerant of children.

Cultural values and "class" differ from country to country. I am not excusing the behaviour or the disruption to other passengers. But children will be children which is one of the reasons that we do not cruise during the summer school holidays.

While this past week was certainly the outlyer in all my years sailing on Seabourn due to all the children, teenagers and families, mostly Spanish, but American and others as well, it was not that bad. We were able to stay away from them and were not inconvenienced, although I only got to swim once. Too hot, sunny, and crowded.

They have all debarked, but there will supposedly be 23 children on this week.

Sorry, didn't mean to underline the text...

Wow - never experienced this in our 500 days on Seabourn - one reason we do not sail in the summer!

Unfortunately the cruise director was in the pool during the caviar event only a few inches away from the kids. He did not say anything!

I heard through our onboard friends that there is a war on between the regular guests and the large Spanish families who are occupying the pools and hot tubs. One family is as large as 20 people and there are 2 or 3 other family groups of similar size. Apparently the HD had to mediate a deal to quiet them all down.

Yesterday afternoon I counted 14 kids ranging in age from 5 to 15 in one of the hot tubs. Also I heard that the boys were throwing golf balls from deck 11 sun deck off the front of the ship and they were landing on the owner's suites!

Parents are no better, one Spanish lady walked straight into me today at breakfast, when I said excuse me, you just walked into me...she gave a puzzled look like I was crazy! I must have been invisible to her, otherwise no excuse.

Our strategy is simple, just ignore them and move to where they are not! We pray they die bark tomorrow!

We have not seen many kids board, but some teenagers. I was wondering why one gentleman that I saw board today and ate outside in the Colonnade. He was was wearing a dark jacket, long sleeved shirt and a bow tie?? It's over 40 degrees today and very hot and humid! Nonetheless I guess he will take the award for the best dressed of those who embarked!

We have not seen many kids board, but some teenagers. I was wondering why one gentleman that I saw board today and ate outside in the Colonnade. He was was wearing a dark jacket, long sleeved shirt and a bow tie?? It's over 40 degrees today and very hot and humid! Nonetheless I guess he will take the award for the best dressed of those who embarked!

Maybe it was Markham!;p

It seems Roxburgh and I have come across rather different Spanish families in the past. I agree Spaniards like to dine late, and the children do stay up late also - I wonder how they managed with dinner ending at 9 on Seabourn ships.

Maybe Seabourn could have a new ruling - a notice on the Observation Bar door saying no under 18 year olds after 8 p.m.? I would be interested to hear whether anyone manages to discuss the problem of large numbers of rather unruly kids on board with senior staff. Our personal solution is to travel generally in April, May, September or October. Also less likely to get the appalling heat in the Med at present.

Actually, they sound typically Spanish to me. Spanish kids are often up very late and especially where an early dinner can be at 9.30pm. And they are often allowed to run/play around. Spanish society, in my experience, is very tolerant of children.

Cultural values and "class" differ from country to country. I am not excusing the behaviour or the disruption to other passengers. But children will be children which is one of the reasons that we do not cruise during the summer school holidays.

I hope you don't mind, but I do beg to differ!

I'm from the UK but have a home in Spain also, so we do spend a lot of time there as well as travelling round beautiful Spain.

We have always found that yes, children do stay up late, often arriving at a restaurant when we are finishing, sometimes as late as 11pm. And just about all the time the chidren are really well behaved. They sit with parents and other adults, try any food going and rarely get down from the table and run around (unlike some other nationalities and I'm sorry to say that includes British!)

I can only imagine these spanish children were over excited on the cruise and TBH it is a bit boring for kids isn't it. And they really shouldn't have been in the pool whilst caviar was being served!