Onboard credit

Strawberry field

I haven't booked yet but I phoned P&O today asking the price of a possible extra cruise this year. They are only giving £30 OBC on an inside cabin at the moment but last year I got more than double that. Is there any way to work out when extra OBC goes on offer? I suspect not and it's in the lap of the Gods but thought I would ask.

I haven't booked yet but I phoned P&O today asking the price of a possible extra cruise this year. They are only giving £30 OBC on an inside cabin at the moment but last year I got more than double that. Is there any way to work out when extra OBC goes on offer? I suspect not and it's in the lap of the Gods but thought I would ask.

I with I knew. We've got £1400 for a cruise next year. Did very similar one this year and had very little obc.

OBC is a sales incentive. If certain cruises are not selling well, then the OBC will be increased. If they are selling well then OBC will be reduced or may even be zero.

Look in your crystal ball to see what is happening

Brian

Offering higher OBC is a way of increasing profits.

Reducing the fare may sell more cabins, but you reduce your upfront profit and hope these customers will make up for it in the bar/spa/excursions. However as these people are likely price sensitive consumers that is a gamble.

Keeping the fare the same and offering more OBC guarantees a minimum profit for P&O, particularly as the OBC can only be spent on overpriced items people would​ probably not otherwise buy.

We booked our next cruise to the Caribbean 2018 when on Britannia in Sept 2018. We got £750 OBC plus 5% discount and the when our booking was transferred to our usual Travel Agent we got their discount too. Our OBC will certainly be used for things we would buy anyway e.g. our wine package, bar bill, speciality restaurants, Clinique products etc. We will probably have a small bill still to pay.