Allergy fail

Mdamato2

This was our second cruise with ncl and the first one wss excellent. My father in law has a glutten allergy and they always sent someone over each evening to give him his options.

Well in was a whole different experience on the breakaway. The first night the waiter looked at us like we had 10 heads when we explained and really was no help. A manager came over finally got the order straight for dinner and let us preorder for next night since we were doing so

Dinner show. Well PS his dinner was not ordered or delivered. My whole family had eaten already and he still hadnt received his dinner. The matre d was working on it but basically the lady who had taken our order the night before didnt put it in. He eventually got his dinner but haf to eat it in the dark during the show. Im very disappointed since we had such a positive experience the last cruise.

When I booked I made sure to tell them he had an allergy like I did the first time we went on NCL. We went on the gem 2 years ago and it was great. This time I was doing all the work and not getting his food when I preordered it was unaccetable. Different ship the breakaway so maybe that was the difference.

We had no problems on the Breakaway (or the Gem). We even went to the dinner show the first night, didn't prebook, and dd got 2 filets, they just left the shrimp off. There were no errors all week. On our last Gem cruise, we prebooked her breakfasts the night before (great selection), and just called a phone number when we were leaving the cabin to let them know what venue to deliver it (even in the buffet).

When I booked I made sure to tell them he had an allergy like I did the first time we went on NCL. We went on the gem 2 years ago and it was great. This time I was doing all the work and not getting his food when I preordered it was unaccetable. Different ship the breakaway so maybe that was the difference.

Did they get it right the other nights?

Hope your expectations are better met in the future! Happy cruising!

I'm not excusing them in anyway, but contacting the Access Desk is essential when you have a food allergy. They then have the information on file and I assume they code your card in some way. In every restaurant, the hostess and my waiter were aware I was GF as soon as my card was swiped. I was always brought GF bread without even asking for it, and the waiter went over the menu with me so I didn't order something with "hidden" gluten in it. I never had to preorder (but I didn't eat in the MDR so maybe that's why I didn't have to preorder anything). The person booking your trip may make a note of it, but that doesn't go to the Access Desk, and that's the best way to make sure the staff on the ship are aware of allergies.

If you cruise with NCL again, be sure to contact the Access Desk before you go. They'll send you paperwork to complete and take care of it. When I did this, there was a letter awaiting me in my cabin that instructed me to go to Guest Services and ask for the assistant maitre d'. I did, and he walked me through what I needed to do to make sure I was taken care of.

They were very apologetic and it was better after that somewhat. There was a young lady who would come to us at breakfast and gove us dinner menu to preorder after the dinner fiasco at the dinner show.

They were very apologetic and it was better after that somewhat. There was a young lady who would come to us at breakfast and gove us dinner menu to preorder after the dinner fiasco at the dinner show.
Glad it worked out after one mistake....as I'm sure you know, mistakes can happen when we travel, but NCL apologized and made it better. Wish you would have said this in your initial post, so folks would have known that it wasn't bad for the entire cruise.

Glad things worked out and NCL worked to fix the problem but I'm stuck on "it was better after that somewhat"...... when someone uses "somewhat" there is the implication not all expectations were met.... what happened after that NCL did not do?

If you have food allergies and do not contact the matre'd the day before you plan on dining in a specific restaurant the fault lies with the passenger, not the ship. There is a time when you have to accept responsibility for yourself.

So sorry to hear this. I have very bad shellfish and other food allergies plus allergy to down. We have done I think 14 cruises with NCL in 3 years and they have been awesome with me plus flipping our suite (Haven) from down to hypoallergenic. So sorry to hear you had a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Gem with a member of our party with a gluten allergy. We had no issues! I did indicate it during booking. Once in board we were introduced to Jacqueline, the dietary expert, she explained what was safe in the buffets and other restaurants. When in the main dining room, my mom preordered her dinners for the following night. She was thrilled she had so many options! Sorry you didn't have the same experience. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums