Do I have to have Carnival Hub to access wifi?

gritsnc

Everyone in our group is getting the social wifi package so we can use Facebook messenger to keep in touch with each other. I can't get the Carnival Hub app to download on my mom's phone (it's an old phone). Do you have to have the hub app installed to use the wifi?

No, you do not. However using the Hub app to chat with one another is much cheaper than getting any of their Internet packages. The Hub app is free and you can add the chat feature for $5 per device for the duration of the cruise. I know that doesn't help your moms cause but for the majority of your group it would be the best route, IMHO.

does your mom have a smartphone with internet access? No reason she should not be able to access the Hub.

Yes but when I tried to download it from the app store, it wouldn't let me. It said her device wasn't supported. It's an old LG phone with very little space and on its last leg.

Yes but when I tried to download it from the app store, it wouldn't let me. It said her device wasn't supported. It's an old LG phone with very little space and on its last leg.
I noticed the Hub app requires Android 4.4 (KitKat) or higher. I'm guessing your mom's phone has an older OS.

Be sure everyone puts their phones into Airplane Mode first. This will disable the cellular antenna so no one incurs any roaming charges. After you put them into Airplane Mode, you can then turn wifi back on in order to connect to the ship's wifi.

Some of you (or the rest of you, sorry gritsnc's mom) might want to install the Hub app anyway. It has a lot of useful features for free. Like the Fun Times (including a reminder that can alert you shortly before activities you'd like to attend), S&S account access, deck plans, daily weather, track your family & friends on board, food & drink venues, dining menus, and more. You can download/install it anytime ahead of your cruise and it acts as a countdown to your cruise date, then once you're on board, you connect to the ship's wifi (just as you would with the internet plans) to access all of the free features. Have fun!

Does anyone in your group have a smart phone they no longer use? The phone does not have to have cell service to use the WIFI feature. My son used an old "dead" phone instead of his regular phone on board and it worked great.