Question about price drops during sales

lcgvol

I have a cruise booked for next May on Harmony and I noticed today there is a lower price than what I am currently paying. It's been a while since I've cruised with Royal, so I am not sure how price reductions work. The price is $100 lower than my current rate with $100 OBC. However, I have a $200 OBC right now, so I am assuming I would get the lower price but lose the $200 and get $100 making it equal. Is that how it works with Royal? I know that's how Carnival works. Often their "sales" are not really sales but simply adjusting the rates and OBC to make it look cheaper.

Any OBC you got as part of your previous price would be lost, and you would get whatever OBC is associated with the new price.

Thank you for your quick response. Now I won't waste my time calling them. I am happy with the price and OBC I have now, but will continue to check.

I agree. I have 11 cruises booked right now with Royal and I pretty much check prices every day. I will call and get the price drop if it is $10. Every $ is a $ as far as I am concerned. I always compare the price drop to whatever OBC I have and decide if the price drop makes up for losing OBC. This year, for a change, I actually saved some pretty good $ by changing cruises to the non refundable deposit and getting OBC on top of that.

Work with a travel agent, and have them put you on in group space, and you will earn OBC. Then the agent can kick back OBC to you as well. The sales are typically smoke and mirror, unless you get a kids sail free offer - those are the only ones where you actually save any substantial (>$40)..