Alaska in September

Canberra forever !

We've been to Alaska 4X - once in the first part of September. The weather was hit or miss for most of the trip, but the day at Hubbard was spectacular. Personally, I love cool/foggy days on ships - there is something very cozy about it, but I'm sure I would be disappointed if the entire trip was like that.

Thrak - Years ago we did a one month round trip Huntington Beach - Alaska with a 3/4 ton truck with a cab over camper. We only had rain on us about 3 times. It was out there but it was either before or after we were in an area. Was a fantastic trip. Didn't lose any tires but windshield was pretty bad. Lots of gravel and trucks throwing. Quacker Don

My son bought a new Jeep Rubicon and wanted to put really big tires on it so he gave me the set of 5 that came on the Jeep as a birthday present. Nice tires and pretty rugged and only had about a week's wear on them. I broke the steel belt in one of the front tires on a particularly nasty rut on the Alaska Highway. Didn't go flat but had a flat spot on it. Got into Tok (pronounce "Toke") and it was really noticeable. Had to drive it that way all the way to Fairbanks and then try to run down a matching tire. That highway is "different".

We have booked a Southbound Alaska cruise for 8th Sept 2018 (our first trip to Alaska) the date was chosen to coincide with our wedding anniversary trip to Canada but... I have read several posts commenting on rough seas at that time of year and would welcome any of your views, experiences and comments on the seas, and the cruise in general in September time.

Although I have cruised a lot I still do not do well in rough weather ! we could change to the 1st September sailing ??

Hope you can help, many thanks

How can anyone tell you what the seas will be like??? It will be chilly !!!!

OK. I posted about really great weather in September and I wasn't kidding but...

The first night out of San Francisco the ship started rocking and rolling big time and the next day at breakfast people were staggering all over the ship and bouncing off the walls due to high seas. There were very large swells and I guess rain - and nobody was going on deck. After that first day though the weather was beautiful.

Doing Alaska for first time next month and guess we will take lots of layers and hope for the best

Have a great time, hope the weather is kind to you :)

We have the same philosophy as you and we know whatever happens weather wise we'll still have a fantastic time :)

Happy sailing