New Itineraries?

cole

I realize there are still some folks who have never taken a river cruise, but there are many, many of us who have taken lots and because there is a limited number of rivers, it sure would be great if the companies would start considering doing things a little differently at the usual ports to entice us to return. Having done the Rhine, Danube and Douro twice, I am hoping that in the near future - even if the river is the same - maybe the excursions that will be offered will be a lot different. Anyone else feel the same? :)

Cole

I wonder why there isn't a Thames River itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are - but these are on either canalboats or barges - between 2 and 14 guests. The locks along the river will not accommodate larger vessels.

My thoughts were similar two years ago, Cole. There is money to be made with repeat customers. ;) On the Thames you can have a river cruise but it is not called that really as it is with narrowboats, as mentioned. Canals in the Peak District are also available, mostly those narrowboats are "self-drive". CroisiEurope is a good company to mention as they also have canal cruises and unusual itineraries on other rivers (for example the Elbe downstream).

I have partly addressed the question of varying ports and finding new ports in the threads "The ever increasing popularity of river cruising" and "Rhine water levels ..."

Have you been on the Moselle? The British tour operators have short itineraries on the Moselle but mainly on chartered older ships.

notamermaid

There are - but these are on either canalboats or barges - between 2 and 14 guests. The locks along the river will not accommodate larger vessels.

Thanks. I didn't think about the locks. We took a land vacation and took bus tours to go out to see Stonehenge, Bath, Oxford, Cotswolds, Windsor, Stratford. I kept thinking I could plan a really nice River cruise itinerary. lol

Avalon's new Active Discovery on the Rhine is an example of a new set of activities on the Rhine. It goes from Amsterdam to Frankfurt and features activities like the Roman archaeological park in Xanten, a coal mine tour in Duisburg, and other more active excursions (a running tour of Amsterdam?).

http://www.avalonwaterways.com/river-cruise/active-discovery-on-the-rhine-southbound/waw/?nextyear=true

Avalon's new Active Discovery on the Rhine is an example of a new set of activities on the Rhine. It goes from Amsterdam to Frankfurt and features activities like the Roman archaeological park in Xanten, a coal mine tour in Duisburg, and other more active excursions (a running tour of Amsterdam?).

http://www.avalonwaterways.com/river-cruise/active-discovery-on-the-rhine-southbound/waw/?nextyear=true

That sounds like maybe some companies are at least looking at added experiences in the ports. Exciting!

Cole

Thanks. I didn't think about the locks. We took a land vacation and took bus tours to go out to see Stonehenge, Bath, Oxford, Cotswolds, Windsor, Stratford. I kept thinking I could plan a really nice River cruise itinerary. lol

A few names for you to have a look at in no particular order. Wessex Rose, African Queen, Kailani, Tranquil Rose, Magna Carta. These boats operate in the Thames / Avon / Kennett areas. Various prices. A nice add on to a land tour.