Luggage Valet

aeegee

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but has anyone used the Celebrity Luggage Valet service out of Seattle on the Solstice and using Southwest airline, RECENTLY?

This is always such an issue because we're never sure if Southwest is on the list or not. I think it depends on the port.

Thank you

We just came home from the 7-28 solstice cruise and used it with American. It was great! I know Southwest was listed as being available but it depends on the time of your flight. Ours was at 1:30 Sign up early as we did on Wednesday and it was the last day, but no one told us that.

How does it work specifically?

You have a deadline on the ship in which to sign up. It will be in your daily planner but if you miss seeing it, just make sure to go to the guest services desk midway through your cruise to make sure you can get signed up for it.

It was to be $25 pp but if you are lucky enough to be sailing out of Seattle this season, the City of Seattle is taking over the charges for you.

Basically, the rules attached is your flight has to be out of SeaTac, Fort Lauderdale or Miami ....the latter two will incur that $25 pp charge ... but if you only have one piece of luggage to check, you can just sign up for one and check in the other person via the internet or when you get to the airport?. You flight must be on the list of included airlines and within a certain time frame and must be on the day of disembarkation.

It will be charged to your folio if using this service in FLL or MIA. It is only good for domestic flights and if you have a connecting flight, that must be on the same airline as your first leg. Most are, so not such a big concern.

The cruiseline will check you in for your flight, send luggage tags to your room and deliver your luggage directly to the airport to be checked in.

Advantages to this is that you won't see your luggage again until you arrive at your destination airport. The other huge advantage is, you don't have to worry if your luggage is a few pounds over the 50 pound limit and you won't be charged for overages. Any luggage fees charged by the airline will be charged to your folio unless you have already purchased your bags previously. There will be a spot on the form that you fill out onboard to note why your baggage fees are covered.

I've read that a few people have had lost luggage but (knock on wood) we haven't had any mishaps when using this service. As a matter of fact, when we've used it, our luggage was amongst the first on the carousel at our home airport. The other concern that I've seen people discuss is that certain fares may not allow for you to use this and if you've already packed your luggage and it weighs 60 lbs, you may be on the hook for the extra charges that are incurred through the airlines. Senior fares on Southwest were discussed ... who knows if that was really the reason?? Not I ... but thought I would mention it, nonetheless.

We love this service ... use it every time it is available and were so disappointed when it was discontinued for a couple of years ... or maybe it was just a year. Now it is back and we are happy campers. You can check your luggage and not have to worry about it until you are at your destination airport. YAY!! It's so much easier when going through Customs and Immigration and packing is less of a chore trying to divi up the weight in your bags.

PS ...forgot to mention ... Guest Services will also print out your boarding passes for you and they will be delivered to your cabin the night before disembarkation. They are only printed for the guests that are signed up for this service. In Seattle, may as well be everyone involved ... but if you only sign up for one pax (my suggestion if only checking one bag in FLL or MIA), then you will only receive the one boarding pass.

Please see my post from yesterday on this topic. It is a free service, but if you're not Concierge, Suite, or Aqua...you won't be informed about it. Go to Guest Relations and demand it on day one or two of the trip.

Just got off the Solstice on Friday. Great time!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53786181&posted=1#post53786181

Edited by sratocino

Ask early. It is offered in Miami but not advertised at all. We missed the deadline.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got off Equinox in Miami a week ago. In our case the page to fill out was left in our cabin a couple of days before the end. But I agree that anyone who wants to use the service should check with Guest Services, if they haven't received the paper by about the 4th day of the cruise.

We used it and was awesome not having to wrangle the luggage to the airport. We walked off the ship with just our 1 carry on and didn't have to deal with the checked stuff until the carousel at our home airport.