Glacier Bay on the Noordam

Noels100

I always like the Lido for Alaska viewing.  If you want to sit  for a while and not be out in the elements. 

All the chairs get turned to face outside, and away from the pool on these cruises.  With the glass roof closed, it can feel like a toasty sun room with snacks and beverages only a few steps away. 

The captain will try to give both sides of the ship a good viewing time, so all good things come to those who wait until the ship turns and suddenly the empty side is the prime viewing side. 

On 8/6/2017 at 11:31 PM, GradUT said:

We cruised in May and it was much too cold for us to stand (or sit) outside all day. So we snagged a table and chairs next to the windows on the port side of the ship next to the Lido Pool. We got there at breakfast and had our seats all day. We could see everything out of the huge picture windows and we could hear the commentary from the Park Ranger as well. I got some great photos of the glaciers and we stayed warm.

If you are cruising later in the summer, the weather might be warm enough to spend all day outside (but, it might not.) 🙂

Whether is not at all predicable.  First trip in early June, we wore jackets in morning, by mid-day we were in shirt sleeves.  Another trip in early August, shirt sleeves all day.  It's Alaska, bring layers.  Hope for the best!

Edited by CNSJ
typo

16 hours ago, Crew News said:

I own something similar to this camping stool and carry it with me for long Alaska excursions.  I weighs only a few pounds and highly portable.  Add a thermos of warm liquid and you can ensure a nice outdoor Glacier Bay experience.

On my last visit to Glacier Bay this year, I found a lot of space on the Promenade Deck 3 for great photos.  You can pop back inside to warm up or pass through the the ship to get to the other side.

image.jpeg.f462874b6e439cd2d5776829cb9d0397.jpeg

image.jpeg.3eb9d988d4d71a6c8bde90e32db99a7e.jpeg

image.jpeg.d94a697684f073750e343666483831aa.jpeg

My husband and I will be on the Noordam this Sunday. He wanted to order the collapsible chairs but I was worried that it would be frowned upon. This is our 5th cruise to Alaska and in the past we also sailed in a suite, but this time we are going to try an Inside on the Observation Deck that has the small window for natural light. My husband’s thought was Thant we could take the chairs up to Deck 11 and always have seating close to us. 

Did you have any pushback using the chair? 

Thank you. And thanks for all the great information that you post on your website. 

Edited by disfanatiks
I listed the wrong embarkation date.

53 minutes ago, disfanatiks said:

My husband and I will be on the Noordam this Sunday. He wanted to order the collapsible chairs but I was worried that it would be frowned upon. This is our 5th cruise to Alaska and in the past we also sailed in a suite, but this time we are going to try an Inside on the Observation Deck that has the small window for natural light. My husband’s thought was Thant we could take the chairs up to Deck 11 and always have seating close to us. 

Did you have any pushback using the chair? 

Thank you. And thanks for all the great information that you post on your website. 

Here is a link to another stool that I have taken to Alaska: Camping Stool 

I take my stool to photo locations where chairs are not provided.  If I will be there for several hours and moving around, my stool will be strapped to my camera backpack.

No pushback but lots of "I wish I had brought mine."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I take my stool to photo locations where chairs are not provided.  If I will be there for several hours and moving around, my stool will be strapped to my camera backpack.

Thanks so much! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crew News said:

Thanks for sharing - is that really acceptable for sitting any length of time? Looks uncomfortable, but I like how compact it folds and looks easy to carry.

14 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Thanks for sharing - is that really acceptable for sitting any length of time? Looks uncomfortable, but I like how compact it folds and looks easy to carry.

The first stool is my favorite but the second works for short term, too. Both come in handy if away from chairs for a long term or on a hike where the option is sitting on the ground.  Both are acceptable to "take a load off your feet". 

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2023 at 4:10 PM, Crew News said:

I own something similar to this camping stool and carry it with me for long Alaska excursions.  I weighs only a few pounds and highly portable.

Roger, I don't see a link or picture in your post about your favorite stool.  I see the link in your later post about a different one.

Can you please post a link or picture of the first stool you mentioned?

Thank you!

~Nancy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Roger, I don't see a link or picture in your post about your favorite stool.  I see the link in your later post about a different one.

Can you please post a link or picture of the first stool you mentioned?

Thank you!

~Nancy

Something ate my posted link.  Here is a replacement link to my favorite style stool:

Camping Stool

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching a YouTube couple who sailed to Alaska on the Koningsdam last month.  They were able to rent a Caban for the day and sit and watch Glacier Bay.   

That looked interesting to me.  The weather was not great, so they had glass partitions on the bottom half and the top half that was hard to see out of when wet.  There was a small gap in the middle to look through though.

So that could be an option.  I am considering on my cruise next year on the Noordam.

49 minutes ago, SirTomster said:

I was watching a YouTube couple who sailed to Alaska on the Koningsdam last month.  They were able to rent a Caban for the day and sit and watch Glacier Bay.   

That looked interesting to me.  The weather was not great, so they had glass partitions on the bottom half and the top half that was hard to see out of when wet.  There was a small gap in the middle to look through though.

So that could be an option.  I am considering on my cruise next year on the Noordam.

I consider this, but from what I can tell that’s not available on Noordam anymore, even though it used to be.