First family cruise on the Eclipse!

Garmouth

As a family of 4(2 teenagers) we will be embarking on our first ever cruise on the Eclipse departing Southampton on the 13.8.17 for a 13 night Scandinavia and Russia cruise. I would really appreciate any top tips/advice which will make our holiday go as smoothly as possible!

Many thanks in advance

Welcome to Cruise Critic,

We have been on the Eclipse 3 times and have 2 more cruises booked on that ship. It is a beautiful ship and you have selected a great itinerary.

We don't sail with kids but when we did that cruise in July 2014 there were a number of teens on the ship. My suggestions:

Check out Cafe al Bacio on deck 5, the speciality coffees & teas cost extra but the cookies, pastries, pies, etc in the glass case are at no charge & are delicious. There is ice cream in the buffet that is great & flavors change daily.

The Sunset bar, Deck 15 aft and Oceanview bar, Deck 14 aft are a great place to go for sail away.

The burgers, hot dogs & fries at the Mast Grill are included and pretty good. In fact on the embarkation the buffet can be very crowded so you can grab a burger at the Mast Grill (on deck above the pool) and get away from the crowd and enjoy the outdoors.

On a sea day you can challenge your teens to a game of Bocce on the lawn.

As you are moving through the ship look at the Art work, a lot of very interesting art throughout the ship.

Have a great trip!!

At the gelato bar on deck 5 near Cafe Al Bacio, while the gelato is not free, the candy is. Don't be afraid to go up and ask for a bowl of (fake) M&Ms, Sour Patch Kids, gummy bears or whatever other little candies they have that they would put on gelato. I'm not a gelato fan, especially since it costs money, but I love sugar and mass market candy!

The free ice cream station in the buffet on one of the upper decks sometimes also has candy.

As a family of 4(2 teenagers) we will be embarking on our first ever cruise on the Eclipse departing Southampton on the 13.8.17 for a 13 night Scandinavia and Russia cruise. I would really appreciate any top tips/advice which will make our holiday go as smoothly as possible!

Many thanks in advance

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I hope everything has been set on your shore excursions as you are already sailing in a few days.

Enjoy your Baltic Cruise!

Many thanks in advance

Have a great cruise! We were on Eclipse in May and are back on her in September, she is a beautiful ship.

Take a highlighter pen with you and look carefully at the 'Today' sheet which will be left on your bed each night. Have a look at the activities on offer and see what you fancy doing....

There are planned 'teens' activities. Find out when you board the time of the first meeting. I would really encourage your youngsters to go to this one (even if they are not usually 'club' lovers) just so they know what is available on board for them.

If you haven't got drinks packages included price up as you board....We always found teens got value for money from a soda package.

Thank you for all for all your speedy replies.

We have booked 2 excursions whilst in Russia, but thought we'd explore independently at the other ports. I have to say that I was disappointed to hear from Celebrity that if I'd booked a family room the children would of got a drinks package included, though because we booked 2 rooms they don't...especially as we were paying considerably more! I have emailed them and waiting for a response to see if they would reconsider given we are a family. If the children aren't with us can they access free drinks independently?

If the children aren't with us can they access free drinks independently?

There is free lemon squash, mixed fruit drink, water and tea and coffee in the buffet. I think there are a few more venues where you can get the juices (by the Aqua Spa cafe?)... The children will be able to use their cards to get sodas but it will be charged to your account.

We have booked 2 excursions whilst in Russia, but thought we'd explore independently at the other ports. I have to say that I was disappointed to hear from Celebrity that if I'd booked a family room the children would of got a drinks package included---- I have emailed them and waiting for a response to see if they would reconsider given we are a family. If the children aren't with us can they access free drinks independently?

I would ring as e mail replies take a while to be answered, so may be too late before you board. However, if you booked via a TA get them to do it, as Celebrity may only talk to you via your TA.

I will be interested to know what you think of the ship's excursions in Russia, as I am interested in one for next June.

We have booked 2 excursions whilst in Russia, but thought we'd explore independently at the other ports. I have to say that I was disappointed to hear from Celebrity that if I'd booked a family room the children would of got a drinks package included, though because we booked 2 rooms they don't...especially as we were paying considerably more! I have emailed them and waiting for a response to see if they would reconsider given we are a family. If the children aren't with us can they access free drinks independently?

Celebrity don't allow parties of four to book a family room . Which is very very annoying . We have requested it a few times , and they say no as we are only four .

They probably won't change their minds as they no doubt get asked this a lot .

As stated there are free drinks in the cafe and mast grill etc

If you have their permissions set on their Sea pass card they can charge soft drinks to it if they gave it on them .

( i think you can do that ) I'm sure someone else will confirm or deny .

We are on the same cruise as you , safe trip to port , and I'll keep my eye open for thirsty teens [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the Baltic with our two teen daughters two years ago. We booked SPB for our Russia excursion and pretty much DIY'd the rest. In Germany we rented a van and went to Schwerin Castle. Everywhere else we walked off the ship or took a shuttle.

One daughter loved the clubs, the other didn't. There were other teens in July but on our cruise of the British Isles in June this year no other teens to be found.

Sent from my iPad using Forums