When the port is your hometown - advice for what to carry on vs what to pack

roberooski

When we leave from home port we put all our liquid bath products etc in our carry on so they are. Not mistaken for alcohol and suitcases held in the Naughty room. As soon as we get on we drop our carry ons in the room. Never had a problem.

Beverly here also! 👋 What is your MBTA route? I haven't decided whether to drive to the port or take public transportation.

Valerie

That train will take you into North Station. From there grab a cab to Black Falcon.

I grew up on the North Shore, but now live in the metrowest area. We take limo service to the pier, so as to not bother with luggage on the commuter rail.

Beverly here also! 👋 What is your MBTA route? I haven't decided whether to drive to the port or take public transportation.

Valerie

Hi Valerie,

I take the commuter rail to North Station, then the Green Line to Park Street, then the Red Line to South Station, then the Silver Line to the Design Center (right next to Black Falcon).

All of the stations listed above are fully accessible with elevators between the platforms, so lugging cruise baggage around isn't so bad.:cool:

I will be boarding the Dawn next Friday and can't wait!! This will be the first time that I board a ship in Boston, where I live. As a matter of fact, I'm only about 20 minutes from the Black Falcon Terminal and I work about 2 blocks away! LOL!

I won't be packing a carry-on bag for a plane ~ WOOT! ~ but plan on packing that bag as I would if I were leaving my cabin for the day on deck, but including my cruise documents, passports, etc. This means I will have my suntan lotion, Kindle, Bubba Mug, etc. My husband will likely pull a roll-on small suitcase just in the rare case that we don't get our luggage before dinner.

With all of that being said, I'm curious from those who have boarded their ship without having flown in first if you packed differently and, if so, how?

Also wondering what I can carry on in terms of, say, a 12 pack of Diet Coke cans?

Thanks!

~R

We pack exactly the same regardless of the departure port.

Bearing in mind when cruising out of Southampton you don't often get fantastic weather, I try and keep hand luggage to a minimum as hate having to lug it around until the cabin is ready. The benefit of being close to the port is I know what the weather is like before I leave home so can dress accordingly, rather than not quite being 100% sure if you've got too many layers or not enough! I've been known to head into work after disembarking ship..... no point taking a days holiday when I can be home by 8.30 am

Me too. I always go to work. I'm fully rested and back to reality. Waiting for the next cruise...