The Cemetery next to El Moro???

timelordjason

I have been to San Juan before and I know about La Perla. My wife has never been to san juan so I planned on walking her from the port through that water front park, by the wall through town to Sebastian fort explore there, grab a limber and then a stop at no nos explore some more on the way back to the ship. HOWEVER she has never been out of the country before and I need to make a non scary effect on her this trip.

With all that in mind she LOVES cemeteries. The one near fort Moro is so gorgeous. Years ago when I was there I avoided the cemetery due to the crime in La Perla. I really want to be able to take her here I am sure she would love it but I need to keep her safe.

#1 SO has anyone ever SAFELY visited this cemetery?

#2 can I get here without going through that scary tunnel on foot and without getting near La Perla?

#3 how can I explain to her that those old buildings of la perla are a no no without scaring her too much? She loves exploring abandoned buildings here in the states and I am worried she will want to go there and I dont want her to but also dont want to freak her out since this is going to be her first real out of country experience. She doesnt have the travel smarts I have developed over the years so I want to let her be able to see the cemetery but safely. I am afraid viewing it from Moro is going to just tempt her lol

All insight is extremely helpful.

I have been to San Juan before and I know about La Perla. My wife has never been to san juan so I planned on walking her from the port through that water front park, by the wall through town to Sebastian fort explore there, grab a limber and then a stop at no nos explore some more on the way back to the ship. HOWEVER she has never been out of the country before and I need to make a non scary effect on her this trip.

With all that in mind she LOVES cemeteries. The one near fort Moro is so gorgeous. Years ago when I was there I avoided the cemetery due to the crime in La Perla. I really want to be able to take her here I am sure she would love it but I need to keep her safe.

#1 SO has anyone ever SAFELY visited this cemetery?

#2 can I get here without going through that scary tunnel on foot and without getting near La Perla?

#3 how can I explain to her that those old buildings of la perla are a no no without scaring her too much? She loves exploring abandoned buildings here in the states and I am worried she will want to go there and I dont want her to but also dont want to freak her out since this is going to be her first real out of country experience. She doesnt have the travel smarts I have developed over the years so I want to let her be able to see the cemetery but safely. I am afraid viewing it from Moro is going to just tempt her lol

All insight is extremely helpful.

In the day time, the Santa Maria Magdallena is safe. I ventured when there were many tourists there that day, but I would get a local guide if you have any doubts. There are a couple of ways to get there. Ask at the port if one of the guides will take you.

Another interesting fact: Actor Raul Julia is buried in that cemetery.

La Perla is drawing a lot of tourist interest after the Despacito you tube music video shot there, went viral.

In the day time, the Santa Maria Magdallena is safe. I ventured when there were many tourists there that day, but I would get a local guide if you have any doubts. There are a couple of ways to get there. Ask at the port if one of the guides will take you.

Another interesting fact: Actor Raul Julia is buried in that cemetery.

La Perla is drawing a lot of tourist interest after the Despacito you tube music video shot there, went viral.

Thanks for the info...i was last there in 2009 and heard nothing but stay away form the locals so i wanted to make sure. I wanted to show her some of my fav places first are there any local guides near moro?

Thanks for the info...i was last there in 2009 and heard nothing but stay away form the locals so i wanted to make sure. I wanted to show her some of my fav places first are there any local guides near moro?

I would ask the guides (with badges/id) at the port to be on the safe side. Tell them that this is what you would want to see and they could arrange something.

Interesting read:

https://sanjuanpuertorico.com/santa-maria-magdalena-de-pazzis-cemetery/

Edited by Arzeena

I would ask the guides (with badges/id) at the port to be on the safe side. Tell them that this is what you would want to see and they could arrange something.

Interesting read:

https://sanjuanpuertorico.com/santa-maria-magdalena-de-pazzis-cemetery/

good idea are they usually affordable and or negotiate price easily?

good idea are they usually affordable and or negotiate price easily?

It depends where you want to go. Many taxi fares are regulated, but this is different.

And negotiations are expected. ;)

Also check out online reviews of other travelers who have been there on their own.

Edited by Arzeena

When we locals tell people to stay away from La Perla we mean don't actually go INTO La Perla. Yes, it's got a history of crime, drugs and violence but I don't ever recall any of those incidents having involved tourists. As with any low-income area of any city, it has its social problems. But they also keep to themselves. They realize how important tourism is to PR and they don't mess with tourists. I have yet to read any story here in CC about anyone being even robbed in any part of OSJ, much less so around La Perla.

The cemetery is safe to walk to and the quickest and safest way to it is through the tunnel. Be aware of cars coming up and down that tunnel since space is at a premium sometimes between the cars and the walls. There are some amazing statues and gravestones there!

Also, Actor Raul Julia is NOT buried there. He's buried at the Buxeda Cemetery in Cupey. However, actor Jose Ferrer, who won an Oscar for best actor (PR's first!!) portraying Cyrano in Cyrano De Bergerac in 1950, is buried there along with other important people from the arts and political world. Check out the Wiki here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Mar%C3%ADa_Magdalena_de_Pazzis_Cemetery for more info about notable people buried at the cemetery.

Also, Actor Raul Julia is NOT buried there. He's buried at the Buxeda Cemetery in Cupey. However, actor Jose Ferrer, who won an Oscar for best actor (PR's first!!) portraying Cyrano in Cyrano De Bergerac in 1950, is buried there along with other important people from the arts and political world. Check out the Wiki here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Mar%C3%ADa_Magdalena_de_Pazzis_Cemetery for more info about notable people buried at the cemetery.

Yes, sorry it is Jose Ferrer . Thank you for the correction.