Celebrity vs Holland - 7 day Caribbean April-May

news_watch

Cross-posting on Celebrity also.

My wife and I went on our first Celebrity cruise last year and had a great time. Price was better than prices for current 2018 equivalent cruises. It may have been a promotional rate, less than 800 with no extras, obstructed balcony.

We are looking again and see higher prices for Celebrity around 1200, occasionally with a room credit.......however Holland has pricing in the same range as our previous Celebrity cruise. Having been on Holland years ago, I consider them comparable, provided Holland has not slipped backwards since 2007 or so.

What am I overlooking that could account for the difference in prices? Hidden charges, reduced level of service, something else?

I think that ship is a bigger issue than cruise line. Match you personal preferences to the size and the age of the ship. Also look at time in port.

Frankly we do not see any difference in service between these two. We do see a huge difference in their respective fleets. Hence our focus on the ship.

Celebrity's Solstice class ships are our all time favourites. But that is personal. These cruise lines are both going towards the lowest common denominator so go with the ship, the itinerary, and the price.

For us, Celebrity is a small step up from HAL. Love the Solstice Class ships, but Koningsdam is close. We choose depending on itinerary and price and any promos offered. Much more alike than different, so either way, you're getting a good product.

We find them also.. much more alike than different. We prefer HAL. The breakfast room service and main dining room we thought were better. Celebrity has more buffet choices .. but much bigger ship. We like live music and found HAL musicians excellent from classical to rock. Very disappointed in Celebrity for live music, which changes from cruise to cruise. HAL room stewards are amazing!! We would happily sail on either line!! Celebrity decor more modern glitz but not tacky.. HAL more classic and refined. Wine selection.. much better on Celebrity!! Much more alike than different. Happy sailing for us on either.