use caution buying gift cards!

grumplin

There was someone that replied to another thread here on the Carnival boards saying that they needed to have receipts that showed the gift cards were paid for and then they would be covered as far as insurance. It was within the past 6 months or so if my memory serves me correct. Can't recall if they actually had to make a claim or just contacted the company because of hearing the same thing. Wish I could remember who it was and what the title of the thread was.

I was told by the people at the trip insurance store that at least for the travel insurance I was buying payment with gift cards would not be covered. It has to do with the proof of purchase, which is different than the proof of payment. Your travel insurance may be different you have to read the policy.

I'm quoting myself because what I typed was incorrect - I should have said you need proof of payment which is different from the invoice or receipt. From Travel Insured website:

"Why do I need to submit proof of payment?

In addition to invoices and receipts, proof of payment is required to validate the exact claim amount."

I think the problem with gift cards is there is not direct link. Even if you can show you purchased gift cards you can't prove (on your credit card statement) those specific cards were used for the trip.

This may not be true for all trip insurance policies.

There was someone that replied to another thread here on the Carnival boards saying that they needed to have receipts that showed the gift cards were paid for and then they would be covered as far as insurance. It was within the past 6 months or so if my memory serves me correct. Can't recall if they actually had to make a claim or just contacted the company because of hearing the same thing. Wish I could remember who it was and what the title of the thread was.
I do recall someone saying that, but the post I recall was someone saying what they thought rather than what they experienced with their own claim.

I think the problem with gift cards is there is not direct link. Even if you can show you purchased gift cards you can't prove (on your credit card statement) those specific cards were used for the trip.
That's a reasonable explanation. An another reason why I'm avoiding further use of gift cards to pay for non-refundable expenses until someone shares their personal experience with an insurance company reimbursing them for what they paid using the gift cards.

I'm quoting myself because what I typed was incorrect - I should have said you need proof of payment which is different from the invoice or receipt. From Travel Insured website:

"Why do I need to submit proof of payment?

In addition to invoices and receipts, proof of payment is required to validate the exact claim amount."

This may not be true for all trip insurance policies.

You could be right, but technically, yes it can be proven you used those gift cards especially if they were e-gift cards. Citi sends me the link via email to the GC which I print out or call in to my PVP. It contains both the PIN and GC number. Carnival can see that it was used for the booking.

I don't believe so. IMO (subject to attorney interpretation, but I am well-versed in interpreting contract language), the language quoted refers to the use of non-cash-equivalent means of payment (promotional certificates, discount vouchers (i.e., coupons), etc). Gift cards are consider to be cash-equivalent instruments of payment and would be considered the same as cash for the purposes of coverage. The amount you actually paid for said instruments would be irrelevant.

This [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival can see that it was used for the booking.
But we cannot, and Nationwide and CSA cannot, and that's the danger, since they require we provide to them proof of payment. How often do the assumptions we make seem so reasonable, until the insurance company weighs in?

Thanks me too! I hate to have to have my CC have to fight it.

Carnival told me the same thing, I was a bit confused as I had sent them proof I had purchased them honestly. I have one that is coming as a rewards from a credit card. I guess I now have to sell the dumb thing. Im glad you got your money back. I talked to Cardacash Friday but nothing so far.

Regarding card cash. Don't email them. If it had been less than 45 days go into your account and find the transaction. Next to

The gift card there should be a link to click to report a problem. Choose the appropriate response and add any additional info (i.e. Carnival cancelled payment saying they were invalid). Doing this I generally get a refund notice within 24 hours and it posts to my credit card within 3 days. I estimate about 40% of the cards I have bought have had issues but I promptly get a refund. I just wouldn't use them for payment on things that can be cancelled or airlines, cruises. Hotels are ok if you have backup funds to pay at checkin (and will

Be staying within 45 days).

Weird mix of invalid cards though

Every time I buy noddles it gets drained or becomes invalid

Panera 2/3 invalid

Hu hut 1 was good (and still is six months later)

Five guys 0/2 invalid and one still

Had value

Dunkin' Donuts both good

Marriott both good

Burger Fi 1/2 invalid

Jason deli 1/2 invalid

I would have to go into my account for more transactions but there seems to be no rhyme or reason for the fraud

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But we cannot, and Nationwide and CSA cannot, and that's the danger, since they require we provide to them proof of payment. How often do the assumptions we make seem so reasonable, until the insurance company weighs in?

Which type of claims are potentially being denied because of payment with Carnival gift cards without proof of the purchase of those cards? Cancelations by the cruise line, or individual cancelations?

Which type of claims are potentially being denied because of payment with Carnival gift cards without proof of the purchase of those cards? Cancelations by the cruise line, or individual cancelations?
The concern is only about insurance claims, so that would only affect the non-refundable amounts that are not refunded by the cruise line. (If the cruise line cancels a cruise, they're required to refund what you paid them, so that would not be of any concern. Having said that, fwir, the cruise line will likely refund amounts paid by gift card onto the gift card.)

I used a gift card from this vendor to pay for a shore excursion. I received confirmation of my shore excursion purchase from Carnival. After seeing this thread, I went to check my cruise docs and found that my shore excursion was no longer listed as a purchase. Thanks to this thread, I was able to make a claim to get my money back before the 45-day restriction! I am waiting to get my refund before I re-purchase my shore excursion... Ugh! What a headache this has become!!!! Thanks to the OP for bringing this to issue to our attention!!!

I used a gift card from this vendor to pay for a shore excursion. I received confirmation of my shore excursion purchase from Carnival. After seeing this thread, I went to check my cruise docs and found that my shore excursion was no longer listed as a purchase. Thanks to this thread, I was able to make a claim to get my money back before the 45-day restriction! I am waiting to get my refund before I re-purchase my shore excursion... Ugh! What a headache this has become!!!! Thanks to the OP for bringing this to issue to our attention!!!

Thank goodness you saw the post! Don't you find it funny that Carnival never reached out to you? How are you planning on paying for the shore excursion? Are you going to attempt another gift card, but one from a trusted site?

Thank goodness you saw the post! Don't you find it funny that Carnival never reached out to you? How are you planning on paying for the shore excursion? Are you going to attempt another gift card, but one from a trusted site?

All good questions! Yes, I am REALLY surprised that Carnival never reach out to me! Ugh! I am keeping an eye on AARP to buy one from them. If I am unsuccessful, I will just go pay for the excursion using my credit card. I called card cash to file a claim (and I entered a claim on line as recommended in a previous post) and expect to be reimbursed within the next few days. If that doesn't work, I'll file a dispute with my credit card company... One thing for sure, I will be going to Dunns Falls one way or another! :-)

Carnival would be able to print you out a copy that shows the form of payment and the gift card number used. You might even have to get that from them anyway if you file a claim even just when using a CC to show how it was paid and the number of that card. Because like you said with the GC, how can they prove that a charge to a CC to Carnival was made for that particular cruise? You could have paid for another one instead. You then submit that to the insurance company.

All good questions! Yes, I am REALLY surprised that Carnival never reach out to me! Ugh! I am keeping an eye on AARP to buy one from them. If I am unsuccessful, I will just go pay for the excursion using my credit card. I called card cash to file a claim (and I entered a claim on line as recommended in a previous post) and expect to be reimbursed within the next few days. If that doesn't work, I'll file a dispute with my credit card company... One thing for sure, I will be going to Dunns Falls one way or another! :-)

I hope they don't tag your file that you can't use gift cards.

Because like you said with the GC, how can they prove that a charge to a CC to Carnival was made for that particular cruise? You could have paid for another one instead.
Precisely, and absent someone saying that it worked for them, and with the insurance companies insisting on referring to what we've already read, it's just not worth the risk to us.

Despite what some implied in some earlier comments about this, insurance companies are not going to refund a discount. Best case is that if you paid $450 for a $500 gift card, they're only going to reimburse you $450.

Precisely, and absent someone saying that it worked for them, and with the insurance companies insisting on referring to what we've already read, it's just not worth the risk to us.

Despite what some implied in some earlier comments about this, insurance companies are not going to refund a discount. Best case is that if you paid $450 for a $500 gift card, they're only going to reimburse you $450.

I am curious too because besides the Amex offer which is 20% savings, I always buy gift cards and use them for everything. I would be upset if I had to cancel my trip and found out I couldn't get reimbursed. But in all honesty, unless I'm dying, I'm cruising [emoji3]. I get the insurance mostly for the medical. But if that's the case I may be better off with an annual medical plan instead.

I bought a few of mine through AARP, but for our next cruise I purchased the majority of my Carnival gift cards at our local Meijer store (these were the ones that I used to pay for our cruise and gratuities to Carnival). I just went on-line and looked up my Meijer receipt and I paid full price for them $500 (shows I paid $500 for Carnival Gift Cards with the last 4 digits of the card shown) but then I received MPerks $$ to be used on my next grocery trip for $50 which does not show on the receipt. That was all electronically given on-line. They would have no idea from looking at my receipt that the net amount I paid on those cards were $450. As a bonus Meijer keeps a copy of receipt electronically on-line for me to print if I need to. The cards I got through AARP will be kept and used for our on-board spending. Use them as I spend them then I don't need to worry about them being needed to be reimbursed by insurance. Where there is a will there is a way :D. I will be keeping an eye out for those sales and purchase the max I can when they come up for future cruises. That way I will have the cards ready when I am ready to purchase, like I did this time. I've seen this sale 2 times since the beginning of the year.

I just went on-line and looked up my Meijer receipt and I paid full price for them $500 (shows I paid $500 for Carnival Gift Cards with the last 4 digits of the card shown) but then I received MPerks $$ to be used on my next grocery trip for $50 which does not show on the receipt.

That sounds like the Amex deal, pay full price then get cash back separately.

Those of you asking insurance questions for the Carnival gift cards, we really should break this out to a separate thread but here goes.

I have a Nationwide cruise insurance plan paid for our upcoming January cruise. I called Nationwide and asked specifically. (If my cruise insurance plan gets cancelled in the next week, I will let you know as well)

The nice lady on the phone explained it to me:

As long as you have receipts for payments made, and receipts for your gift cards Nationwide does not care how you paid. Only that you paid and what you paid. So if your cruise insurance was for $1500 per person and your cruise was $1350 per person and you only paid $1200 via gift cards with a discount, then you will only get $1200 back. But it is considered a form of legitmate payment. Your claim will not be denied because you used gift cards. At least not through Nationwide Cruise Insurance.

Hope this helps.

Those of you asking insurance questions for the Carnival gift cards, we really should break this out to a separate thread but here goes.

I have a Nationwide cruise insurance plan paid for our upcoming January cruise. I called Nationwide and asked specifically. (If my cruise insurance plan gets cancelled in the next week, I will let you know as well)

The nice lady on the phone explained it to me:

As long as you have receipts for payments made, and receipts for your gift cards Nationwide does not care how you paid. Only that you paid and what you paid. So if your cruise insurance was for $1500 per person and your cruise was $1350 per person and you only paid $1200 via gift cards with a discount, then you will only get $1200 back. But it is considered a form of legitmate payment. Your claim will not be denied because you used gift cards. At least not through Nationwide Cruise Insurance.

Hope this helps.

Nationwide will pay out if you use gift cards. although I did not have to cancel my cruise. We did have a change in itinerary last October because of Hurricane Matthew. The change was made before we sailed, which is covered by Nationwide. I did have to send in extensive paperwork, which included proof from Carnival that the port was cancelled. How much my cruise was, proof of payments made. So in the case of the portion paid for with GC I printed off from Verizon where it showed the CG purchased, and then my CC statements that showed that purchase. sent it all in and within 2 weeks , both my daughter and I had a check for $750.00 for missed port.( more than our cruise cost, but that was the coverage I chose).

Guess what...just happened to me with giftcardzen. Three cards totaling $2,000.

Ouch! At least you have a 1 year guarantee on them (unlike cardcash with the 45-day thing).

Although now that I know I can get discounted ones through AARP and not have to be an actual member, I might go that route instead.

So in the case of the portion paid for with GC I printed off from Verizon where it showed the CG purchased, and then my CC statements that showed that purchase. sent it all in and within 2 weeks , both my daughter and I had a check for $750.00 for missed port.
Thanks!

Im glad you took a look and found out in time.

I hope you do also! Good luck and keep me posted.

I got email from CardCash today that they are refunding for both cards. What a relief!

We have/had an upcoming cruise next week to Cuba. We just got an automated call that our cruise has been cancelled due to non-payment. We paid almost the entire cruise with discounted gift cards from ABC Gift Cards. We called our travel agent, and our cruise next year, (which we had paid over $4000 with gift cards) is also showing a large balance due. We have contacted our bank as well as the gift card companies at this point. Not sure what else to do. I am sick over this. Almost $6000. I did have reservations about buying them, but they went through so we thought they were okay.