use caution buying gift cards!

grumplin

No, not long at all. I contacted the same day I bought the gift cards and told them the problem. Within two days my credit card account had shown the amount that I contested credited

Thank you for answering. The gentleman I spoke to said it would take 3 to 5 days for their claims dept to review.

Don't panic, if you bought your cards through legitimate retailers (not resellers) you are fine. Enjoy your cruise. One should always keep receipts to prove purchase(s). With the availability of 10% off gift cards from a number of places such as Verizon, AARP, and others I'm not sure why people utilize the resellers as their discount is the same and the cards are usually only guaranteed for a limited amount of time.

The title of this post is a little misleading as this is a reseller issue and not a gift card issue. The more established resellers are very good about making it right within the terms of agreement. It is printed very clearly the terms of reimbursement and should be read and understood prior to purchase.

I think she is talking about travel insurance not covering the amount of the cruise that she paid with discounted gift cards.

I purchased $1,000 in gift cards from Cash Card dot com after seeing a tip on here they were 10% off. I appplied them to my Carnival bill. Carnival removed all of them as they were all fraudulent gift cards. I had to show Carnival proof I bought these honestly and where. I am now working with the site I purchased them on to get my money back as it is within their 45 day guarantee. I also have email proof from Carnival they were fradulent in case I have to fight this through my credit card company. I just wanted to give everyone a warning about buying through gift card resellers. This hassle was not worth saving the 10%!
Oh wow! Sorry this happened but thanks for sharing! I was thinking of buying some for final pmt!

Oh wow! Sorry this happened but thanks for sharing! I was thinking of buying some for final pmt!

Im glad I could save you the same stress. We used them for final payment, excursions and $100 in bar cash .

Now, I'm concerned. We paid the bulk of our trip with Carnival credit cards (purchased from Krogers, Meijer and AARP, so they are all legitimate). We also bought travel insurance. Are you saying that, for the most part, we are not covered?

We are sailing during hurricane season. We also have receipts from our travel agent showing paid in full.

I was told by the people at the trip insurance store that at least for the travel insurance I was buying payment with gift cards would not be covered. It has to do with the proof of purchase, which is different than the proof of payment. Your travel insurance may be different you have to read the policy.

I have used one of those sites for American Airlines and Southwest gift cards. Well, both cards were good and I flew about 10% off the original price :D, but with all the deals available for Carnival's Gift cards, I wouldn't even take the chance on those sites. Rewards for Change is free for everyone on AARP!!

Sorry I didnt mean it to be misleading. I learned about the site to buy these cards HERE on this site from a post. I wanted to share to stop someone else from having the same problem. I am not a Verizon customer and assumed AARP is for people old enough to qualify. The reseller site I bought this from is a legit reseller. Their reviews are good and there is a 45 day guarantee and I did use the cards immediately.

You do not have to be an AARP customer to get the gift cards from their AARP Rewards program. I am in my 30's so not close to AARP age. Sign up for an account, get the gift cards then move on. Some people here think you have to do these surveys and read crap on their site, when in fact you do not. You get enough points when you sign up for an account to get the gift cards without doing anything. Then if you want more, just create multiple accounts using bogus email addresses. No need to jump through hoops to get them. Also the Allstate app you can get them as well, you do not need to be an Allstate customer. You DO have to be a Verizon customer to get theirs, however they're going away at the end of October for Verizon rewards.

Sorry I didnt mean it to be misleading. I learned about the site to buy these cards HERE on this site from a post. I wanted to share to stop someone else from having the same problem. I am not a Verizon customer and assumed AARP is for people old enough to qualify. The reseller site I bought this from is a legit reseller. Their reviews are good and there is a 45 day guarantee and I did use the cards immediately.

AARP needs to limit there Cards to just AARP members, sent them a Email and told them so,:mad:Will not be Renewing my Membership,Sorry you had trouble with the Cards.

Mike

Mpdog42

As one who has suffered, here is my suggestion. If you buy from the primary source such as Kroger, Verizon, Lowes etc. those are ok to use. The secondary market is those who have purchased gift cards to resell and are chancy at best. Usually, they guarantee values for 14 to 30 days max. Ebay is a terrible place to buy any gift cards. If you use them within the 30(?) days you buy them , Ebay will help if there are any problems. . Paypal never helps on gift cards. What I am getting at is to check them immediately when you get them and use them ASAP. If not, the original purchaser may have recorded the numbers and pin and then they can use the cards or pass them onto a friend to use. You are then out the $$$ you paid with little chance of getting anything back. I know !!

AARP needs to limit there Cards to just AARP members, sent them a Email and told them so,:mad:Will not be Renewing my Membership,Sorry you had trouble with the Cards.

Mike

Mpdog42

Are you not renewing in protest of their smart rewards policies?

So, am I reading this correctly? If I purchased discounted CARNIVAL gift cards through AARP, and used them to pay my cruise balance, and if I purchased travel insurance through CARNIVAL, and something came up and needed a claim to be filed with that insurance, it would not be covered since I used discounted gift cards?

Don't let this deter you from getting final payment cards from any of the legitimate vendors that are mentioned on the boards. AARP, Verizon, and Allstate have not had ANY problems reported on the boards regarding the 10% off physical and eCards that they sell.

If you're not familiar with the programs, just do a search for the details.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I just had the same thing happen to me. I had bought my cards through Gift Card Zen. Another Gift Card re-seller. I actually had 3 gift cards, with various amounts, and so far, two of my cards have been found fraudulent through Carnival. I have both Carnival and Gift Card Zen checking on the other cards. Gift Card Zen refunded my money within minutes.

What really stinks is that Carnival said that no other gift cards can be used on my booking, so I need to work that out, since I have Verizon and AARP Cards also. I have other cruises booked with Carnival, so I can use them with those cruises, just not with this next one.

So, am I reading this correctly? If I purchased discounted CARNIVAL gift cards through AARP, and used them to pay my cruise balance, and if I purchased travel insurance through CARNIVAL, and something came up and needed a claim to be filed with that insurance, it would not be covered since I used discounted gift cards?

I don't believe so. IMO (subject to attorney interpretation, but I am well-versed in interpreting contract language), the language quoted refers to the use of non-cash-equivalent means of payment (promotional certificates, discount vouchers (i.e., coupons), etc). Gift cards are consider to be cash-equivalent instruments of payment and would be considered the same as cash for the purposes of coverage. The amount you actually paid for said instruments would be irrelevant.

I don't believe so. IMO (subject to attorney interpretation, but I am well-versed in interpreting contract language), the language quoted refers to the use of non-cash-equivalent means of payment (promotional certificates, discount vouchers (i.e., coupons), etc). Gift cards are consider to be cash-equivalent instruments of payment and would be considered the same as cash for the purposes of coverage.
I hope you're correct. I've read posts from folks claiming also to be well-versed saying the opposite citing the proof of payment requirements on claims. I've stopped buying the discount cards in response until I find at least some evidence that someone had a claim satisfied even though they paid with the cards.

cardcash dot com has LOTS of reviews with this happening. I've had it happen fairly consistently as well with tgi Fridays cards from them, as well as Panerra. I've since stopped using that site as their 45-day policy is garbage. I now use giftcardzen dot com and cardpool dot com as they have a 1 year guarantee. May not be as discounted as cardcash, but I've yet to get a $0 card or one that's fraudulent either.

cardcash dot com has LOTS of reviews with this happening. I've had it happen fairly consistently as well with tgi Fridays cards from them, as well as Panerra. I've since stopped using that site as their 45-day policy is garbage. I now use giftcardzen dot com and cardpool dot com as they have a 1 year guarantee. May not be as discounted as cardcash, but I've yet to get a $0 card or one that's fraudulent either.

Guess what...just happened to me with giftcardzen. Three cards totaling $2,000.

Why do you care? Does it affect your membership in any way?

Just my 2 cents...by offering the cards to non members, it lessens the availability to those actual members of AARP who really should be able to get the cards whenever they want if they have earned the points and wish to purchase them with the 10% discount.

Of course, by offering the cards to non members, AARP sells a ton more cards, thus making more profit for them at the detriment of a small percentage of members that will be upset over it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I don't believe so. IMO (subject to attorney interpretation, but I am well-versed in interpreting contract language), the language quoted refers to the use of non-cash-equivalent means of payment (promotional certificates, discount vouchers (i.e., coupons), etc). Gift cards are consider to be cash-equivalent instruments of payment and would be considered the same as cash for the purposes of coverage. The amount you actually paid for said instruments would be irrelevant.

I'd venture to say this is correct. I think you would have issues if, for instance, you received a certificate for a free cruise when you purchased a car.