Hyphenated Name ?

LynnB

Cruising with friends next week. I made all the arrangements with my longtime PVP. My question is this. My friend has a long hyphenated last name Kozxxx- Wojtxxxxxxx. 6 letters and 11 letters. My PVP said there was not room for whole name and booked under just the 2nd last name (Wojtxxxxxxx) She said it was not unusual and that was the way hyphenated names are handled. So Elizabeth Kozxxx-Wojtxxxxxxx is just Elizabeth Wojtxxxxxxx on her cruise docs. Any one have any experience with this. My PVP was quite insistent that it would be fine.

Can't she just put the first part of the hypenated name in the middle name space?

It's funny, that is actually what prompted me to post my question. I had planned on just adding that name in the middle name field when I did online check in. So, I just completed online check in for my family and entered middle names for all of us yet the docs still print with just the 1st and last name.

For some weird reason, it seems airlines and cruise ships software have difficulty with hyphenated or lenghty words. Sometimes even middle initials.

My first name is Robert, and I have a middle initial, so my boarding pass sometimes reads Roberta.

I know someone whose last name is hyphenated, and she was told just to list her name as it appears on her passport. If the boarding pass drops letters because of the length, the full name will still be in the system.

Getting TSA PreCheck or Global Entry can help smooth out these software deficiencies. Global Entry allows expedited service at both cruise ports of MIA and FLL US Customs, as well as most major airline/airports.

Enjoy your cruise!

Enter your legal first name in the first name box leave the middle name box blank, if your passport shows a hyphenated last name.

Enter your hypenated last name (with no hyphen or space) in the last name box. Some of the last letters will drop off, but that is ok. Take passport and boarding pass with you to port, show them to the check in agent, enjoybyour cruise.

I've been on 4 cruises now with a hyphenated last name and have had no problems. The first 3 cruises both of my last names were smushed together (no hyphen) and the last cruise I just had my 2nd last name.

ex. Breanne Carsonhalloway

ex. Breanne Halloway

She'll be fine, no issues!

I've been on 4 cruises now with a hyphenated last name and have had no problems. The first 3 cruises both of my last names were smushed together (no hyphen) and the last cruise I just had my 2nd last name.

ex. Breanne Carsonhalloway

ex. Breanne Halloway

She'll be fine, no issues!

Oh I totally forgot until I read the PP's comment. When they used both my last names smushed together it was always too long and the last letter was always left off.... ex. Breanne Carsonhallowa