Barcelona Safe at Night?

MagicMan1712

Firstly I'd be great if you define "night"... because I suspect we're going to have different definitions for that. Note shops close between 8:30 and 9, and shopping malls at 10, therefore there's plenty of people at those hours going up and down -if anything those working in the shops :)

Then, it'd be super if you were to point where is your cruise going to dock. There are several piers, far from each other, where cruises dock. Some are closer to the entrance of the port -thus close to areas with people- and some are way into the port -which obviously have little or no life past a certain hour. If you were to dock say at Moll Adossat pier, then I would say, take a bus -not because it's unsafe, but because it's far into the port in an area where there's nothing much, why wouldn't one want to walk that?

Sorry, by night I mean after dark. We are sailing on Celebrity Reflection and have no idea where the ship will be docked. No where in our cruise packet did we find that information. When I called them, I was told that there was no dock assignment at that time.

Well, that's key. Maybe you can come back when you know? In any case, worst case scenario, there's a bus T3Bus (http://content.portdebarcelona.cat/cntmng/d/d/workspace/SpacesStore/edb7b57a-7cee-4486-a1b8-ebf0e3cfc2bf/EN-PortBcn-TerminalsMaritimes.pdf) and/or taxis. Again, not that's unsafe to walk to that part of the port, but there's nothing else there so after hours you'd be walking alone -or only with those fellow passengers returning on foot.

This is a good question as I've been wondering as well. I've assumed since I haven't read any warnings, etc....that, for example to be out walking to restaurants from our hotel in the earlier evening hours (before 10pm), there should be no problem? We will be out and around a bit in September, so I've been curious too. We would not do anything stupid or go in deserted areas - as you shouldn't in most any city. Another question to you locals if you don't mind me asking - in mid September, around what time does it get dark?

Remember in Spain most people other then tourists do not have dinner until 9:00 PM or later.

Like any city you should use a little caution.

Don't wear jewelry or carry other valuables with you and conceal your money. I would tell you the same thing in the daytime too.

Watch your surroundings. In short be street smart which we do there but would do in San Francisco too as an example.

Keith

Awful, EnrichM please give details if you know any.

This will give you some background.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/17/europe/barcelona-spain-van-latest/index.html

I would not change my plans because of this.

We were in Paris a few months ago and had a great time.

Unfortunately these things happen from time to time all over the world including the USA>

Keith

We just returned from a cruise on Freedom. We stayed 2 nights before we left and felt very comfortable walking around night. I agree with previous posts as these terrible acts happen all over and should not discourage you from visiting this beautiful city!

Las Ramblas reminded me of 42nd street in NYC. Can get a little seedy at night but not bad. I preferred to stay in the Gothic area at night, near the Cathedral, many restaurants, hotels, was quieter, quaint and very safe. Every side street has adorable charm and shops.

As far as walking back to the port, it is quite a distance (walking)from the center of town. We walked from center of town just to the beach and it took 25 mins and I think port is about a 20 mins walk past there. A cab takes 5-10 mins

Slightly off topic, but my wife and I wewasre walking back to our hotel in Seville about midnight. We came across a small centre of shops and bars, which was very busy. We stopped for a beer, and after a whole realised that most of the other customers were all of our age. All these more elderly customers knew everyone, their sons, grandsons, granddaughters etc. Nothing happened without these elders knowing what going on. Safest place to have a beer is with the old guys!

• 2 weeks later...

... not such great advice I'm afraid in the case of Barcelona, firstly the city is safe and strolling is a local past time, you'll see people all the time and everywhere; but also, if you decide to visit certain areas (ie El Gòtic, at the heart of Barcelona), many streets are pedestrianised, so getting there by taxi can be complicated.