Ryndam - Nov 7th - Chocolate cruise

Krazy Kruizers

On our Vov 7th cruise, we had a guest chef - Fran Bigelow, owner of Fran's choclates out of Seattle. She was on board for the first 2 days of our cruise. Her first cooking class was in the afternoon of the first sea day - free to everyone. She made 2 desserts (we were given the receipes for both): choclate espresso torte and princess pudding. Everyone was given a sample of both - delicious. The second sea day she had a cooking class in the morning. It was limited to 12 people at a cost of $29.95 each - sold out right away.

In the afternoon of the second sea day Fran had a choclate tasting session. It was $7.50 each and was limited to 100 people. We were able to sign up for that. She talked about her travels to Venezuela and a couple of other South American places that she had visited. During the session she had us sample 3 kinds of chocolate: 35% cacao; semi-sweet - 56% cacao (didn't get to taste); 65% bittersweet chocolate & 72% bittersweet chocolate. She talked about each one. At the end everyone was given a chocolate truffle and a small amount of Qaadi Essentia liquor (an orange flavored dessert wine). We we left the culinary center, they had some half bottles of the liquor for sale for $29.

KK, This sounds really interesting. I wonder if the class limited to 12 people was available to sign up for prior to the cruise??? Thanks for informing us about this.

Jim, possibly Ruth should join Tom and I on our Alaska cruise on the Ryndam May 7th. Here is our quest Chocolatier:D

Jacques Torres

Chocolatier extraordinaire, renowned pastry chef, cookbook author Following a spectacular career as pastry chef at some of the world´s most renowned restaurants, Torres created Jacques Torres Chocolate, Brooklyn, and soon after Jacques Torres Chocolate Haven, Manhattan, to hand-crafted his own line of chocolates and high-end confections. French-born Torres has become one of the most highly regarded pastry chefs and chocolatiers in the world, first gaining recognition when he worked for two-star Michelen Chef Jacques Maximin at Hotel Negresco, becoming a master of confectionary arts. He moved to the United States to open the Ritz Carlton in Palm Springs, and soon joined legendary restaurateur Sirio Maccioni at New York´s famed Le Cirque.

I am actually looking forward to this and would like to go to one of his demonstrations. I may call ship services to see if they are offering any small classes that we should sign up for early.

7-day Alaska

ms Ryndam

May 7 2006

Jim, possibly Ruth should join Tom and I on our Alaska cruise on the Ryndam May 7th. Here is our quest Chocolatier:D

I'd love to, Lisa, but the timing's off. After three years of asking I finally got permission to take my older grandgirl to Alaska next summer. Have to wait until the school year ends.

But that chocolatier attraction sure sounds, well, attractive! Sorry I'll have to miss it.

Archived