POLL: Travel Agent vs. Do It Yourself

I Use A Travel Agent For:  

279 members have voted

1. 1. I Use A Travel Agent For:

• Air, Cruise & Hotels
    • Air & Cruise
    • Cruise only
    • I enjoy booking everything myself

I'll do research myself and book direct with RCCL especially if there is some OBC or other perk. (Don't be fooled by the smoke-screen of the fake "sales.") Then within 60 days I'll transfer to an online TA for pre-paid gratuities plus (sometimes) additional OBC. Depends on the sailing, price paid, etc... as to what TAs can offer above and beyond what I already have.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've booked through various travel agents many times, having done all the research etc myself and have only ever been given $50 obc! I've also had to look for their mistakes and contact them to correct. Then have to go to the travel agents to collect docs, usually about a week before departure, at a time which suits them. I now prefer to book myself.

Looks like you had the wrong TA -- a good one will give you up to 10% OBC to transfer to them.

Most of the time I book interior or ocean view and the perks are minimal if any, for the last 5 years I book directly with royal

This factor is the big divide in using a TA or no TA. You typically receive few perks with these categories and therefore it is usually better to do it yourself, as long as you are educated and diligent, which most CCs are.

I enjoy researching and booking hotels, flights and excursions but, I use an online travel agent for our cruise bookings.

I've been with the same TA for at least ten years and always receive terrific perks, like on board credit, comp gratuities.

I have discovered that booking a future cruise on board is the way to go. This way you get perks from both the cruise line and the travel agent once you flip the booking their way.

I've employed this tactic for upcoming cruises on the QM2 and Anthem of the Seas and received very significant OBC for both cruises. :D

Jonathan

We used a TA for our last cruise, as it was part of a larger trip to Europe, and we wanted help with other aspects of the trip. However, no perks, and I actually did all the leg work, found the flights, etc.

I'm a wannabe travel agent, so really enjoy the process. If I could find agencies in Canada that offered good perks, I might use them. However, for the next few cruises, I've booked them directly.